✟478,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So, I am going to need some help sorting this all out. :help:

And could you give me less detailing, but more specifics and to the point line from point A to point B...!!

Example..
Church of England was a parish of CC.

CoE broke off the mother Church and ...became point A

Then B occurred.

Now C then D...? WHAT?:scratch:

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like Episcopilean is off the Anglican?
And Methodist is off the Anglican?

The Episcopal Church is simply the American branch of the Church of England. They changed the name after the Revolutionary War for the obvious reason. Other than owing no allegiance to the British Crown, there is no difference.

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Traditional Anglican Communion broke communion with Canterbury in 1978 primarily over the issue of women's ordination.

The stated their reasons in a document called the Affirmation of St. Louis which is here.
http://www.acahome.org/tac/library/docs/affirm.htm

They are currently seeking to reestablish communion with Rome, although that process is moving about as fast as a glacier.

Upvote 0

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
So, I am going to need some help sorting this all out. :help:

And could you give me less detailing, but more specifics and to the point line from point A to point B...!!

Example..
Church of England was a parish of CC.

CoE broke off the mother Church and ...became point A

Then B occurred.

Now C then D...? WHAT?:scratch:

What a great question.

The church was established on the island of Great Britain by the beging of the 2nd Century. The Welsh/British King Carodoc became a Christian along with the royal family. In this way, Britain was one of the first Christian countries.

Several British Bishops were even present at the Council of Nicea

In the 6th century Augustine was named first Archbishop of Canturbery.

In 1066 Britain was invaded and the Church in England came under the full control of the Roman Catholic Church

The Infamous Henry VIII proclaimed that the Pope did not have complete authority over the Church of England. The C of E continued on, business as usual. The most significant change was probably in name only. The Roman Catholic Bishops in England simply became Bishops of the Church in England.

After Henry the VIII, Queen Mary took power and proclaimed that yes, the Pope did actually have power over the Church of England after all.

Then Elizabeth I took power and the Church of England took the position that the Bishop of Rome (the Pope) did not have absolute authority outside his See. The Roman Catholic church then Excommunicated Elizabeth I. At this point the separation was complete.

The Anglican Church spread with the British Empire. The Anglican Communion now encompasses 38 provinces each lead by an Archbishop (some say Metropolitan). The Anglican Church is the third largest church in the world after the RCC and EO.

Most Anglicans live in Africa or the UK, but many are found in the Carribean, Latin America, India, Pakistan and South East Asia (places like Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong) North America, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.

This explanation may be too simplistic, but there are a lot of posters in STR who could shed more light on this.

Upvote 0

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Like Episcopilean is off the Anglican?
And Methodist is off the Anglican?
The Methodist church was founded by John and Charles Wesly. John Wesly was a Anglican priest, but not a Bishop. He set up the methodist church with the structure of the Anglican church, but the Methodist church does not claim apostolic succession.

Upvote 0

April Angel

Jul 13, 2007
London
✟17,063.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
During the Reformation, in the 16th century, a lot of small 'protestant' churches were formed in Europe. They had differences of opinion with the Pope of that time. Therefore, they were referred to as 'protestant'. John Wesley, an Anglican missionary, formed the Methodist Church in the 18th century. The Methodist Church started as an evangelical off-shoot of the Anglican Church.

After the Reformation had already been started by Martin Luther (during the 16th century) and had been going on for a few years, Henry VIII (King of England) met Anne Boleyn who was a committed protestant. Although Henry was a devout Roman Catholic at that time, married to (Spanish) Roman Catholic, Katherine of Aragon, he had grown tired of her and her inability to provide him with a male heir to his throne. He therefore requested an annulment of his marriage from the Pope but the Pope refused his request. Therefore, Henry reluctantly broke with Rome and made himself Head of the Catholic Church in England. As Head of the Catholic Church in England, he granted himself an annulment from Katherine of Aragon thereby freeing himself to marry Anne Boleyn.

This is how the Church of England was formed at the time of the Reformation. However, Henry VIII did not really have much to do with the Reformation. His break with Rome was quite separate. By keeping the Catholic Church in England intact, apostolic succession was not broken.

Following Henry's reign, the Church in England returned to Rome for a few years under the reign of his Roman Catholic daughter, Mary. However, when his second daughter (by Anne Boleyn) Elizabeth took over, the Church of England was restored to the reigning monarch in England. The Pope's power was removed. This second Church of England was more protestant than the one formed by Henry VIII. Queen Elizabeth wrote some new doctrines most notably the doctrine of CONSUBSTANTIATION instead of the Roman Catholic doctrine of TRANSUBSTANTIATION. The Church remained quite protestant for a few more hundred years until the 20th century.

During the 20th century efforts were made by the ABC, Archbishop Runcie and his successors to try to iron out the differences in doctrine between the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England. Many ecumenical meetings were held during the latter part of the 20th century between the Roman Catholic bishops and cardinals and the bishops of the Church of England. This resulted in a move towards catholicism and away from protestantism on the part of the Anglican Church. The Anglican Bishops agreed on the doctrine of TRANSUBSTANTIATION.

However, this move towards catholicism by part of the Anglican Church reinforced a move towards evangelism and liberalism by other parts of the Anglican Church. The Anglican Church became more separated within itself than ever before. However, many Anglicans believe that this is a good thing.

Some Anglicans cling to their Anglican heritage through the Christian history of the Church in England. Not many people realise that the Christian Church in England dates back to about 200 AD, at which time it was completely independent of Rome. The Pope first became involved in this Church quite a few hundred years after that, during medieval times.

Upvote 0

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
What a great question.

The church was established on the island of Great Britain by the beging of the 2nd Century. The Welsh/British King Carodoc became a Christian along with the royal family. In this way, Britain was one of the first Christian countries.

In 1066 Britain was invaded and the Church in England came under the full control of the Roman Catholic Church

The Infamous Henry VIII proclaimed that the Pope did not have complete authority over the Church of England. The C of E continued on, business as usual. The most significant change was probably in name only. The Roman Catholic Bishops in England simply became Bishops of the Church in England.

After Henry the VIII, Queen Mary took power and proclaimed that yes, the Pope did actually have power over the Church of England after all.

Then Elizabeth I took power and the Church of England took the position that the Bishop of Rome (the Pope) did not have absolute authority outside his See. The Roman Catholic church then Excommunicated Elizabeth I. At this point the separation was complete.

The Anglican Church spread with the British Empire. The Anglican Communion now encompasses 38 provinces each lead by an Archbishop (some say Metropolitan). The Anglican Church is the third largest church in the world after the RCC and EO.

Most Anglicans live in Africa or the UK, but many are found in the Carribean, Latin America, India, Pakistan and South East Asia (places like Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong) North America, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.

This explanation may be too simplistic, but there are a lot of posters in STR who could shed more light on this.

It's also worth pointing out that although there have been elements of liberalism in a few western provinces, Anglicanism as a whole (including the Church of England) is currently undergoing a MAJOR shift in a much more conservative direction.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟478,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Traditional Anglican Communion broke communion with Canterbury in 1978 primarily over the issue of women's ordination.

The stated their reasons in a document called the Affirmation of St. Louis which is here.
http://www.acahome.org/tac/library/docs/affirm.htm

They are currently seeking to reestablish communion with Rome, although that process is moving about as fast as a glacier.

Yea, that's the CC. :wave:
Everything is done slooooowly.
But I anticipate the reunion.

I think they have to figure out which Churches are ordaining women...those will not likely be reunited.

What a great question.

SEE but Elizabeth was not even a member of the 'Magistrate' so how could the Church follow her?:scratch:

The Methodist church was founded by John and Charles Wesly. John Wesly was a Anglican priest, but not a Bishop. He set up the methodist church with the structure of the Anglican church, but the Methodist church does not claim apostolic succession.

:wave: Ok, that helps some.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟478,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
During the Reformation, in the 16th century, a lot of small 'protestant' churches were formed in Europe. They had differences of opinion with the Pope of that time. Therefore, they were referred to as 'protestant'. John Wesley, an Anglican missionary, formed the Methodist Church in the 18th century. The Methodist Church started as an evangelical off-shoot of the Anglican Church.

After the Reformation had already been started by Martin Luther (during the 16th century) and had been going on for a few years, Henry VIII (King of England) met Anne Boleyn who was a committed protestant. Although Henry was a devout Roman Catholic at that time, married to (Spanish) Roman Catholic, Katherine of Aragon, he had grown tired of her and her inability to provide him with a male heir to his throne. He therefore requested an annulment of his marriage from the Pope but the Pope refused his request. Therefore, Henry reluctantly broke with Rome and made himself Head of the Catholic Church in England. As Head of the Catholic Church in England, he granted himself an annulment from Katherine of Aragon thereby freeing himself to marry Anne Boleyn.

This is how the Church of England was formed at the time of the Reformation. However, Henry VIII did not really have much to do with the Reformation. His break with Rome was quite separate. By keeping the Catholic Church in England intact, apostolic succession was not broken.

Following Henry's reign, the Church in England returned to Rome for a few years under the reign of his Roman Catholic daughter, Mary. However, when his second daughter (by Anne Boleyn) Elizabeth took over, the Church of England was restored to the reigning monarch in England. The Pope's power was removed. This second Church of England was more protestant than the one formed by Henry VIII. Queen Elizabeth wrote some new doctrines most notably the doctrine of CONSUBSTANTIATION instead of the Roman Catholic doctrine of TRANSUBSTANTIATION. The Church remained quite protestant for a few more hundred years until the 20th century.

During the 20th century efforts were made by the ABC, Archbishop Runcie and his successors to try to iron out the differences in doctrine between the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England. Many ecumenical meetings were held during the latter part of the 20th century between the Roman Catholic bishops and cardinals and the bishops of the Church of England. This resulted in a move towards catholicism and away from protestantism on the part of the Anglican Church. The Anglican Bishops agreed on the doctrine of TRANSUBSTANTIATION.

However, this move towards catholicism by part of the Anglican Church reinforced a move towards evangelism and liberalism by other parts of the Anglican Church. The Anglican Church became more separated within itself than ever before. However, many Anglicans believe that this is a good thing.

Some Anglicans cling to their Anglican heritage through the Christian history of the Church in England. Not many people realise that the Christian Church in England dates back to about 200 AD, at which time it was completely independent of Rome. The Pope first became involved in this Church quite a few hundred years after that, during medieval times.

Thanks very much for the history.

I soaked it up. :)

Ok, the last part intrigued me considerably...
Could I have some writings from your early Church fathers to suggest the Pope was not involved in the Church.
:)

I read ECF's all the time, and dont have that handy. I guess I could look on NewAdvent.

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

I don't have time to find resources now either as I'm doing my hw and it's already late, but that makes sense from what I've studied too and actually an Eastern Rite Catholic priest I talked confirmed this for me. Early in Church history the West had patriarchates also like in the East each with its own Patriarch and liturgy and Rome was just one of those, but the most powerful do to its political position. As a political power Rome started making deals with the political leaders of those regions that Rome would support them if they put Latin Rite clergy there and thus Rome's power and liturgy spread. Ireland was actually one of the last holdouts and I think their ancient Liturgy is occasionally celebrated.

If you look back into Liturgical history though, you will find that there were many different western rites just like in the East.

Upvote 0

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
SEE but Elizabeth was not even a member of the 'Magistrate' so how could the Church follow her?:scratch:
Good question.

( ahemm, we really need a British person to explain this ) But I'll do my best.

The Papacy (especially historically) has both a spiritual authority and a political authority. Technically the Pope is the leader of a small country (Vatican City).

In Anglicanism this role was divided, the Bishops hold the spiritual/eclesiastical authority, and the Monarchy holds the political authority and is given the title Defender of the Faith.

Many people FALSELY assume that the King/Queen of England is the head of the Anglican Church in the same way the Pope is the head of the RCC. Totally incorrect.

The monarch holds political authority in the sense that s/he is the "defender of the faith" whereas the bishops hold ALL spiritual and ecclesiastical authority

The best analogy I can think of is a hypothetical situation. Imagine that Vatican city decides it needs a President to over see, and represent it's political interests. This president would not be clergy and would only be a political leader. The Pope would still be the spiritual leader of the Vatican and the earthly head of the RCC.

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks very much for the history.

I soaked it up. :)

Ok, the last part intrigued me considerably...
Could I have some writings from your early Church fathers to suggest the Pope was not involved in the Church.
:)

I read ECF's all the time, and dont have that handy. I guess I could look on NewAdvent.

I don't have any quotes handy but in the aftermath of the fall of Rome in the fifth Century, and the resultant disorganization that resulted, communication between Rome and Britain was cut off for several hundred years. It wasn't fully reestablished until the beginning of the seventh century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟478,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't have any quotes handy but in the aftermath of the fall of Rome in the fifth Century, and the resultant disorganization that resulted, communication between Rome and Britain was cut off for several hundred years. It wasn't fully reestablished until the beginning of the seventh century.

Ok, if you find any, let me know. :hug:

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, if you find any, let me know. :hug:

Not from an ECF but more detailed history.
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/167.html

Augustine of Canterbury
Bishop and Missionary

The Christian Church was established in the British Isles well before 300. Some scholars believe that it was introduced by missionaries from the Eastern or Greek-speaking half of the Mediterranean world. Celtic Christianity had its own distinctive culture, and Greek scholarship flourished in Ireland for several centuries after it had died elsewhere in Western Europe.

However, in the fifth century Britain was invaded by non-Christian Germanic tribes: the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes. They conquered the native Celtic Christians (despite resistance by, among others, a leader whose story has come down to us, doubtless with some exaggeration, as that of King Arthur), or drove them north and west into Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. From these regions Celtic Christian missionaries returned to England to preach the Gospel to the heathen invaders. Meanwhile, the Bishop of Rome, Gregory the Great, decided to send missionaries from Rome, a group of monks led by their prior, Augustine (not to be confused with the more famous Augustine of Hippo). They arrived in Kent (the southeast corner of England) in 597, and the king, whose wife was a Christian, allowed them to settle and preach. Their preaching was outstandingly successful, the people were hungry for the Good News of salvation, and they made thousands of converts in a short time. In 601 the king himself was converted and baptised. Augustine was consecrated bishop and established his headquarters at Canterbury. From his day to the present, there has been an unbroken succession of archbishops of Canterbury.

In 603, he held a conference with the leaders of the already existing Christian congregations in Britain, but failed to reach an accomodation with them, largely due to his own tactlessness, and his insistence (contrary, it may be noted, to Gregory's explicit advice) on imposing Roman customs on a church long accustomed to its own traditions of worship. It is said that the British bishops, before going to meet Augustine, consulted a hermit with a reputation for wisdom and holiness, asking him, "Shall we accept this man as our leader, or not?" The hermit replied, "If, at your meeting, he rises to greet you, then accept him, but if he remains seated, then he is arrogant and unfit to lead, and you ought to reject him." Augustine, alas, remained seated. It took another sixty years before the breach was healed.

Upvote 0

DeoJuvante

Mar 8, 2006
Australia
✟16,027.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Greens
There is no Singular Anglican Church, there is an Anglican Tradition which we all Share.

The Episcopal Church is Anglican, the Church of England is Anglican, the Reformed Episcopal Church is Anglican etc.
This is not really true. It is just a position that ultra-conservatives like to put forward so that they can claim that certain tiny ultra-conservative schismatic groups (like the 'Anglican' Mission in America, etc.) are really Anglican. A Catholic equivalent to these groups would be those sedevacantist groups.

Upvote 0