I feel numb about love for God and his sacrifice.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,264.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read the Bible and didn't feel any thankfullness when reading about Jesus being nailed to the cross. I don't feel anything please pray for me. I have a lot of other problems but this is one of them.
Its not about feelings. You can thank Him also purely rationally. Its not a problem at all.

Feelings are bodily chemistry, its nothing relevant. People have different emotional reactions, different levels of imagination, of empathy etc.

Actually, basing our thankfulness on feelings is more shallow than basing it on clear realization and understanding what His work means for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟941,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read the Bible and didn't feel any thankfullness when reading about Jesus being nailed to the cross. I don't feel anything please pray for me. I have a lot of other problems but this is one of them.
Welcome to CF. I hope we can help you understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Nazareth as you navigate through the forums.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I was the same. To me, it was just history, like the conquests of Alexander the Great or the rule of Julius Caesar. When I was convicted of my sin and accepted Christ, it was more a sense of relief that I was escaping God's judgement. My appreciation for Jesus has grown immensely over the last 50 years. I was like a child, taking everything for granted. Now I'm a bit more mature and Jesus' sacrifice more meaningful. We need eyes to see and ears to hear. Only God can grant us that. Ask Him to show you. Once you are born again, things will become clearer.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Emotional responses can vary based on many different things. Sometimes we can even grow in an emotional response. Sometimes I find that as I read a bible, I might be struck by a particular verse that lies between two verses I had previously highlighted many years earlier. This tells me that I had skipped over what I now find significant.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟125,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is more than knowing that He died, but that He died for you. When it becomes a personal truth, that Jesus suffered under the wrath of God for your sins, and won every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in your place, then you can know that love from the Savior.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟108,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm also a more rational person by nature. I try to say thanks to God or anyone else about what I do have, but I might be focusing more than necessary about what I don't have that I need to step back and cool down.

I don't have the "strength" that one feels to turn the other cheek in the face of extreme evil like Jesus may have instructed. I'm not talking about personal insults or one-off things, but true, systemic wickedness that befalls entire races, entire countries or the entire earth itself. I feel numb about forgiving or turning my other cheek or not, I have experienced so much stuff first-hand and anecdotally in society "out there" and not seeing it resolved or concluded that I became hardened.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any change in this situation since the quoted post above?

Frankly, that's a lot to wrap your head around. Jesus dying a terrible death because of you. What did you do exactly to warrant such a price for someone else to pay? You didn't ask for this, you were born into it.

I don't know what your religious background is, but if you grew up in the church, this is just a matter-of-fact thing that we believe.

Therefore, I wouldn't be overly concerned that you don't feel any thankfulness at this point. That will come, of it is supposed to. No use heaping guilt upon guilt. Where does that leave you?

I would be happy to discuss your other issues when you are ready. Thanks.

Just ocurred to me that you may be a victim of a culture of entitlement and ungratefulness. I have trained myself to SAY thank you all the time. This makes a HUGE difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums