• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I feel like I betrayed my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Today, I went in to the hairdresser and we got into a conversation about kids. (Normal talk when getting a haircut). The hairstylist had a photo of her family up and was pregnant too so it didn't take long to get on the subject. She told me about her kids.

It didn't take long before the subject switched to me. It happened easily enough. I was looking down on the floor and saw a couple of gray hairs on the floor and said something like, "Gray hairs. Oh kids will do that to you."

She said, "Oh, do you have kids too?"

Oops. I said the word "Kids." I said, "Yes," and left it at that.

She asked me how old they were. Simple enough question, right??? Well, for most people, anyway.

I said, "One will be 10 next month and one is 8." I left Jennifer (my daughter who died in 2002) out. She would have been 11.

She went on to ask me if they went to school here in town. Now what in the world made her ask that?? (Turns out she's from out of town).

I said, that my oldest does but that my 8 year old lives in a group home in (***NAME OF CITY***). I said that she was autistic and mentally retarded-- but that she still gave me plenty of gray hairs, just the same. The gray hair comment helped to lighten things up quite a bit and she was able to laugh rather than feel like she had to give me some sort of sympathy for her living in a home. (That was nice). I still said nothing about Jennifer, just the same. The conversation went on about other things.

I don't think I've ever done that before. Possibly when talking to someone in quick passing, but never in a conversation. It's not that I'm denying that she ever existed. (I think about her daily). I'm not trying to betray her. (I love her so much). I just feel like I have to go on and can't be telling my story to every passerby. Friends, yes. But beauticians who don't even know my name??? I just feel a need for normalcy. Do you know what I mean? As hard as that conversation was, another part of me enjoyed having a normal (casual) conversation without telling my life story to a practical stranger.

Still, a good part of me feels like I betrayed my daughter. :(

~Sandy

Jennifer's Page: http://www.geocities.com/sandymeyers/rememberingjenny.html

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Wierd enough as it sounds, not mentioning your daughter is actually a sign of healing from what i have expierenced.
Its not that you have betrayed her, she is in heaven rejoycing, how could she be betrayed now? I think you mean you feel you betrayed your grief which is a good thing. You just keep walking with the Lord girl, HE will NEVER betray you!
GEL

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
sandinmyears said:
Today, I went in to the hairdresser and we got into a conversation about kids. (Normal talk when getting a haircut). The hairstylist had a photo of her family up and was pregnant too so it didn't take long to get on the subject. She told me about her kids.

It didn't take long before the subject switched to me. It happened easily enough. I was looking down on the floor and saw a couple of gray hairs on the floor and said something like, "Gray hairs. Oh kids will do that to you."

She said, "Oh, do you have kids too?"

Oops. I said the word "Kids." I said, "Yes," and left it at that.

She asked me how old they were. Simple enough question, right??? Well, for most people, anyway.

I said, "One will be 10 next month and one is 8." I left Jennifer (my daughter who died in 2002) out. She would have been 11.

She went on to ask me if they went to school here in town. Now what in the world made her ask that?? (Turns out she's from out of town).

I said, that my oldest does but that my 8 year old lives in a group home in (***NAME OF CITY***). I said that she was autistic and mentally retarded-- but that she still gave me plenty of gray hairs, just the same. The gray hair comment helped to lighten things up quite a bit and she was able to laugh rather than feel like she had to give me some sort of sympathy for her living in a home. (That was nice). I still said nothing about Jennifer, just the same. The conversation went on about other things.

I don't think I've ever done that before. Possibly when talking to someone in quick passing, but never in a conversation. It's not that I'm denying that she ever existed. (I think about her daily). I'm not trying to betray her. (I love her so much). I just feel like I have to go on and can't be telling my story to every passerby. Friends, yes. But beauticians who don't even know my name??? I just feel a need for normalcy. Do you know what I mean? As hard as that conversation was, another part of me enjoyed having a normal (casual) conversation without telling my life story to a practical stranger.

Still, a good part of me feels like I betrayed my daughter. :(

~Sandy

Jennifer's Page: http://www.geocities.com/sandymeyers/rememberingjenny.html
Sandy, I know what you mean . . it becomes so awkward . . you don't know quite what to say . . you don't want to make others uncomfortable, and you don't want to betray your child's memory as if they never existed . .

It gets difficult to mention your child because it ilicits questions you may not want to go into right then, people who have not gone through this don't know how to respond to such a revelation . .and so to spare every one, you side step it . . and then there are times you simply can't bring yourself to sidestep it . .

16 years later, I still have to make the choice sometimes whether to side step it or say something . . but I no longer feel as though I am betraying his memory, or betraying him, but being sensitive to the one I am with and judging whether or not I think it is something that might make them too uncomfortable .. not it usually comes more natural not to say anything about Jonathan, but other times I do think about him, and I do say something . . :)

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Snowangel7

Feb 20, 2004
Midwest
✟117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I can really understand how you feel about this. I lost my daughter 2 years ago and there have been times when I have been asked how many kids I have. Sometimes I just say I have 5 children at home with me and one in heaven. And other times I just say I have 5 children. With me I think it just depends on how comfortable I am discussing my daughter with that person and other times I just don't feel like talking about it. I have those days when I can talk about it , and those days when the pain seems unbearable.
I also have a 15 year old daughter with Autism. If you ever want a friend to talk to PM me. My prayers are with you.

Jamey

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.