Seattle
✟15,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I want to know how you all feel on the following subject. I don't think i've really heard of this from anyone else, but i've kind of developed a little philosophy for myself: I don't need to do or not do anything unless I am told to by God or Jesus themselves.

For instance, why would I need to follow something that an early Christian leader writes down? God or Jesus didn't say it...

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because people that aren't God or Jesus are still capable of writing down truth and good advice?

You can tell which is which by using discernment.

The Bible doesn't explicitly say that paedophilia is wrong, but I hope to God you don't take that as condoning it.

Upvote 0

PowderedGold

Jul 18, 2007
✟7,692.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The flaw in your argument is that neither God nor Jesus wrote anything. If you're referring to the words attributed to Christ in the Gospels, you have to remember that the Gospels themselves were written by early Christians, not by Christ himself, and that those Gospels often differ on what Christ said.

So you can't say you accept what Jesus said, but not the early Bible writers, because those early Bible writers are the reason we knew what Christ said. So you have to accept some of them, all of them, or none of them. The choice is up to you.

I wrote a reply to your other thread about fornication that I hope you will read. I think you and I have a lot in common.

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

Wow, so this would mean.... since nowhere in the Bible
(from jesus words or anywhere else)
are wives told to do the dishes,
then I dont have to ever do them again!!!

Seriously though, I do have a few opinions here. One specific area I have had issues with are Pauls teachings of women being silent in church, wearing head coverings, men with long hair, etc.

Over the years I have prayed and done research, asked pastors, etc. What I have learned is that Paul was specificaly talking to these particualr women, who had just come from idolatrous churches, they would stand up and shout questions and were rowdy and out of hand. For them, he said: "Be silent." This does NOT mean women should never speak a word in church.

As far as head coverings and men having to have short hair, I believe this also was a cultural thing. For that time, in that culture. If Paul were to be writing to a church in this day, he may say that we shouldnt take a mp3 player to church. Thousands of years from now that might confuse people.

As far as obedience to all areas of the Bible, one must study up. If we didnt study this, we might think we were to obey the Old Testament laws. There is much good to be learned from all areas of the Bible, and I believe that God inspired Paul, and all others in their writings. Teachings on taming the tongue and loving one another, how to treat our brothers and sisters in Christ.... these are things that most definitely should be done, yes. But by doing them we will not get to heaven. Jesus tells us plainly what we are to do. Believe in Him. After that, he gave some commands. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, strength.... and love one another.

So I believe that Jesus tells us what we must do to be saved. Failing, as we will, in other areas will not keep us out of Heaven, but most teachings and commands in the New Testament are for our benefit and should be followed as best we can.

In saying all this, I am assuming you are talking about obeying Jesus' words only, and not following the rest of the Bible. But in the event that this is not what you meant... are you meaning to say you will not obey any command unles Jesus stands in front of you literally speaking it?

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

disasm

Jun 19, 2007
Howard, PA
Visit site
✟16,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I want to know how you all feel on the following subject. I don't think i've really heard of this from anyone else, but i've kind of developed a little philosophy for myself: I don't need to do or not do anything unless I am told to by God or Jesus themselves.

For instance, why would I need to follow something that an early Christian leader writes down? God or Jesus didn't say it...
This is why having a Spiritual Father is important... Without a Spiritual Father to guide you in reading the scriptures and other writings of the Church, one can take any passage, and with enough interpretation, can make it say whatever one wants. For example, take "It is better to marry than to burn". Well, lets assume you're already married, and your burning in passion for the good looking single woman that walks by your house everyday. Well, it's better to marry than to burn, so might as well divorce your wife and marry this other woman so you won't burn with desire anymore, right? After all, Christ said "Lusting in the heart is committing adultery", and you saw your wife look at that waiter yesterday, so she already wronged you, so do away with her, correct?

Extreme example, okay really extreme example, but this is what happens everyday with scripture. Just look at the Protestant Churches splintering in every which way over different interpretations of scripture. Without the Tradition of the Church and a Spiritual Father scripture can be seriously abused.

Upvote 0

greatnut

Aug 10, 2007
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi jbg9 and all

"I don't need to do it unless God says so"
I see something positive in this statement. Most of our everyday activities are irrelevant (neither good nor bad - "ALL [mundane] is vanity" Ecc). Thus 99% of my day I can choose to do it or not do it, it makes no difference in the grand scheme. The important part of my day is the 1% which is doing what God says to do, pray, forgive, give, meditate etc. This is the part which God said to do, and thus it is important.

Upvote 0

disasm

Jun 19, 2007
Howard, PA
Visit site
✟16,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi jbg9 and all

"I don't need to do it unless God says so"
I see something positive in this statement. Most of our everyday activities are irrelevant (neither good nor bad - "ALL [mundane] is vanity" Ecc). Thus 99% of my day I can choose to do it or not do it, it makes no difference in the grand scheme. The important part of my day is the 1% which is doing what God says to do, pray, forgive, give, meditate etc. This is the part which God said to do, and thus it is important.

I kind of see what you're getting at, but where does God say we're only to dedicate 1% of our day to prayer, forgiveness, fasting and charity? Our whole lives are supposed to be dedicated to God and we are supposed to do everything to the Glory of God.

Then there is the fact of how does God tell us to do things? Well, my answer to that would be through the Church he setup on this earth, including the writings of the Early Church Fathers, through our own Spiritual Fathers, and through the scriptures. Very few does God communicate to directly, but he communicates through his church to all that belong.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom

What I see positive in the above statement , is that , God & Jesus are being recognized as The Authority .

But as others have mentioned , we are somewhat dependant upon God and Jesus' sevants to hear much of what They have said / are saying to us .

It's true some put too much stock in man , following a " preacher " or some celebrated " personality " , as though they were " The Authority " .

But the other extreme is hardly any better - where one doesn't give enough credence to the fact that God and Jesus have used angels + people to relay their messages to us .

My advice is to prayerfully study Scripture for yourself , ( asking God for His Holy Spirit to be your guide ) while neither blindly accepting nor proudly ignoring what others may claim .

Click Here for free downloadable Bible Study software -(e-sword.net)

And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
<-----> 1st Corinthians 8:2+3

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
<-----> 1st John 4:20+21

Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us?... <---> Malachi 2:10

Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. <-----> Philippians 3:15

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
<-----> 1st Corinthians 13:1+2

Peace and Joy in Christ's Righteousness .

wm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟25,957.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
God told us to do a lot of things that aren't specific.

For instance honor your father and mother.

And submit to the leaders of the church.

And obey the ruling authorities.

And love our neighbor as ourselves.

And to be our brother's keeper.

And to help the poor.

And to love our wife as Jesus loves the church.

And not to cause consternation in our children.

And to work as unto the Lord.

And on and on.

He left a lot of things where he did not tell us specifically what to do. If you think every little thing has to specifically be covered by a specific verse, I'm afraid I don't think you are reading the scriptures correctly.

Marv

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.