How to Figure out What My Spiritual Gifts Are?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟330,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well there are 9 gifts available. A message of knowledge
  • A message of wisdom
  • Faith
  • Gifts of healings
  • Miracles
  • Prophecy
  • Discerning of spirits
  • Speaking in tongues
  • Interpretation of tongues
A message of knowledge is God or the Lord Jesus Christ providing to you information, insight, and understanding about something. [7]

A message of wisdom is God or the Lord Jesus Christ providing to you direction, or how to apply the knowledge you have about something.

The manifestation of faith is your having the confidence or trust that what God or the Lord Jesus Christ has revealed to you by a message of knowledge or a message of wisdom will come to pass at your command.

The manifestation of gifts of healings is you exercising your God-given spiritual ability to heal by the power of God, according to what God or the Lord Jesus Christ has revealed to you by a message of knowledge or a message of wisdom.

The manifestation of working of miracles is you exercising your God-given spiritual ability to do miracles by the power of God, according to what God or the Lord Jesus Christ has revealed to you by a message of knowledge or a message of wisdom.

Discerning of spirits is God or the Lord Jesus Christ revealing to you information about the presence or non-presence of spirits (including both holy spirit or demons), and some times including the identity of demons present, whether or not you may cast them out, and providing the power to do it.

Prophecy is speaking, writing, or otherwise communicating a message from God to a person or persons. [8]

Speaking in tongues is speaking a language of men or angels that you do not understand, which is given to you by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Interpretation of tongues is giving the sum and substance, in your own language, of what you have just spoken in tongues.

For more visit Walking in Power: The Manifestations of Holy Spirit | Truth Or Tradition?

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the anointing which ye have received of HIM abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in HIM.

The anointing thru the HOLY SPIRIT will teach you and guide you. Yes I have learned alot of good and bad from ppl, but my best teacher of all was the HOLY SPIRIT.

Seek HIM and fall in love with HIM and you will know what HE wants from you. The closer u get to HIM to better you know HIM. Blessing in Jesus name :amen:

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Speaking in tongues as done at Pentacost
is speaking in your own language and people of other languages hearing it in their tongues/languages.

Speaking in tongues as done at Pentacost
is speaking in your own language and people of other languages hearing it in their tongues/languages.

Yes, the hearing was supernatural, being the gift of interpretation of tongues, However, the speaking was also supernatural and as 1 Cor. 14:2 says, no man understands them (naturally).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The godhead gives gifts:

From the Father:
Romans 12
God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

From the Holy Spirit:
1 Corinthians 12
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

From Jesus:
Ephesians 4
11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Then we also have "signs" which follow all who believe:
Mark 16:17-18
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, the hearing was supernatural, being the gift of interpretation of tongues, However, the speaking was also supernatural and as 1 Cor. 14:2 says, no man understands them (naturally).

That is the speaking in tongues as done in Corinth and in the modern pentacostle church, not as done at pentacost.

Or are you saying that when people speak in tongues today people understand them in their own language?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That is the speaking in tongues as done in Corinth and in the modern pentacostle church, not as done at pentacost.

Or are you saying that when people speak in tongues today people understand them in their own language?

Paul gave instructions to the whole church - it is scripture. What the Corinthians were doing was everyone displaying their gifts at the same time causing confusion. "26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification."

The gifts of the Spirit are all supernatural. You are considering what happened at Pentecost with human reasoning, not what was really being displayed. It's a very common mistake, but I choose to look for God's meaning when common interpretation actually contradicts other scripture. And remember 1 Corinthians was already circulated through all the churches before Acts was written. You are reading Acts without any consideration to 1 Cor. accept to discredit it and say it was ONLY to the Corinthians. That is not good exegesis. So you tell me - how does 1 Cor. 14:2 and Pentecost jive?

1 Corinthians 14:2New King James Version (NKJV)

2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

How did the Jews understand? What gift is speaking a language you've never learned, but is understood by others naturally? There is none. What does NO ONE UNDERSTANDS mean to you? We know there is the (supernatural) gift of interpretation of (supernatural) tongues. THAT is how it jives.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟842,369.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is something I usually avoid talking about, for many reasons. The biggest reason is that I prefer to use any gifts God gave me after I was saved instead of talking/thinking about them. I know for sure that after I was saved I was given gifts that I never had before, I just don't know the names of them or if I should know the names of them.
Also, I think I have at least 2 gifts, probably more which makes it more difficult to figure out exactly what they are.
I have tried taking spiritual gift tests, which have given me different results each time, and I really don't like them. It isn't enjoyable to take them either, because the whole time I think, "how do I know this is even correct?" "no, that's wrong, the Bible says [insert verse here]," "this is true, it lines up with the Bible," "yeah, but all Christians are supposed to be like that," etc, etc, etc.

Is there a way to figure out what my gifts are without taking a test? Or do I really need to know what they are? But then I don't know how I'd use them the right way if I don't even know what they are.

Also, PLEASE don't start any debates on this thread. And if you can, I'd appreciate it if anyone that answers uses Scripture in their answers.

My view is that the spiritual gifts belong to the body of Christ and that we have access to them as needed. The scripture says that it is the Holy Spirit who distributes the gifts according to His will. I don't believe that any of the gifts are "owned" by any individual believer. So I cannot say that I have such and such a gift. But I can say that I have access to that gift if I need to use it. It is like being in a workplace and using the computer, fax machine, coffee machine, or photocopier. They are tools for the office, available for everyone's use as needed. They don't belong to any individual worker for their exclusive use, but every worker can use them whenever they have need.

There is a communal coffee jar in the office where I work, and every coffee addict uses it. I cannot claim ownership of it, but I can use it whenever I have the craving for coffee. But I have my own "secret squirrel" coffee jar in my desk drawer. That is my personal property and I use it only when the communal jar runs out. That is the difference between personal and communal property.

I believe that the gifts and ministries of the Spirit are communal in the body of Christ. If a person needs a miracle, then you can step up in faith, use the particular spiritual tool (the working of miracles) to achieve that miracle. This is okay in theory, and would work well if the current Church is in the right place with God, but which in most areas it is not, and that is why when we try to use a gift it does not always work, not because there is something wrong with you as a believer, but the fault is in the wider body of Christ where you are.

In fact, Jesus loves having believers use the gifts He has given to the Church. It is one of the things He loves to do for us. I think it saddens Him and grieves the Spirit when so many churches will not believe that the gifts are for today and will not take advantage of them. Jesus rejoices and the Spirit takes much pleasure when there are groups of praying people who willingly depend on the Holy Spirit to activate the gift they need for a particular situation.

So, in my opinion, rather than seek any particular gift or gifts, seek the Giver. Get into close fellowship with Him and ask Him to guide you to as much information about spiritual gifts as you can get from Google, books from your Christian bookshop, and from the reading of Scripture. Get the whole range of current knowledge about the gifts from the all the authors you can find (I did that through my favorite Christian second-hand bookshop), and this will give you a lot of material for you to discuss with the Lord and to free you up for the Holy Spirit to use you in ways you could never imagine. The scripture says that people perish because of a lack of knowledge. It is not wrong to fully research a topic as if you are going to do a doctorate thesis on it. I think that God loves it when you seek to know as much as you can about some attribute of His Spirit and pray over each book or article that He will teach you what He wants you to know about it. When you read about the good, bad and the ugly concerning Spiritual gifts, then you are in a place where you can make up your mind about how you want to be involved, and to know that God will be right there alongside you to guide you the right way.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟842,369.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Satan and the Beast can easily show signs and wonders so don't be deceived by signs and wonders. Listen to the Voice of God that Jesus listened to and obey ALL His commandments like Jesus had to do, then you will learn where all those signs and wonders come from.
There have been testimonies that signs and wonders have occurred which have had the result of thousands accepting Christ, leaving the kingdom of darkness and entering into the kingdom of God. If you think that these signs and wonders may have come from Satan or the Beast just because they are signs and wonders, maybe it is important to consider that Jesus said if the signs and wonders that He did came from the devil then the devil's kingdom would be divided against itself, and any kingdom divided against itself will fall.

The difference between signs and wonders that accompany the gospel of Christ is that when they happen many people come to Christ. That is something the devil would not wish to happen because it would weaken his kingdom.

When there are false signs and wonders (and I wonder if you have actually seen any of these yourself), they are done to glorify the pagan god, or the false prophet himself rather than Christ. People don't come to Christ as the result of these signs and wonders. Those signs and wonders actually draw people away from Christ.

Most modern preachers of the gospel who have had signs and wonders in their meetings have been accused of being false merely because they did not follow the accepted pattern that many religious people believed should be followed. Yet these preachers have had scores, maybe hundreds of souls saved for Christ in their meetings, and that people have glorified and praised Christ as the result of the signs and wonders. This causes me to believe that those who accuse these preachers of being false are mistaken and do not understand the difference between true signs and wonders from the Lord and the false ones from Satan and the beast.

There are folks who discourage signs and wonders and criticise those who advocate them do so because their own churches are dead and would be shown up by any other group experiencing miracles of healing and deliverance and the resulting conversions to Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟842,369.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If you mean that God is the one that lets you understand His words, I agree completely. I couldn't understand them (or keep all of God's commandments) before I was saved, but now I do.

Yes, if someone shows signs and wonders, the best way to tell if they're with God is if they speak the truth and keep God's commandments. Although I think there are some things they just can't do unless God lets them, but I'd still test the person just to be safe.
The true function of signs and wonders is that they accompany the preaching of the gospel and show that Jesus is really alive and that the gospel is true. This results in souls being saved for Christ. When that happens we then know that the signs and wonders are genuine.

False signs and wonders draw people away from Christ and strengthen belief in the occult or pagan gods.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
There have been testimonies that signs and wonders have occurred which have had the result of thousands accepting Christ, leaving the kingdom of darkness and entering into the kingdom of God. If you think that these signs and wonders may have come from Satan or the Beast just because they are signs and wonders, maybe it is important to consider that Jesus said if the signs and wonders that He did came from the devil then the devil's kingdom would be divided against itself, and any kingdom divided against itself will fall.

The difference between signs and wonders that accompany the gospel of Christ is that when they happen many people come to Christ. That is something the devil would not wish to happen because it would weaken his kingdom.

When there are false signs and wonders (and I wonder if you have actually seen any of these yourself), they are done to glorify the pagan god, or the false prophet himself rather than Christ. People don't come to Christ as the result of these signs and wonders. Those signs and wonders actually draw people away from Christ.

Most modern preachers of the gospel who have had signs and wonders in their meetings have been accused of being false merely because they did not follow the accepted pattern that many religious people believed should be followed. Yet these preachers have had scores, maybe hundreds of souls saved for Christ in their meetings, and that people have glorified and praised Christ as the result of the signs and wonders. This causes me to believe that those who accuse these preachers of being false are mistaken and do not understand the difference between true signs and wonders from the Lord and the false ones from Satan and the beast.

There are folks who discourage signs and wonders and criticise those who advocate them do so because their own churches are dead and would be shown up by any other group experiencing miracles of healing and deliverance and the resulting conversions to Christ.

Very well stated. My heart cries for the church at large that is such unbelief. Many must believe God went on vacation once all the letters and gospels were compiled into the Bible.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟842,369.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Paul gave instructions to the whole church - it is scripture. What the Corinthians were doing was everyone displaying their gifts at the same time causing confusion. "26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification."

The gifts of the Spirit are all supernatural. You are considering what happened at Pentecost with human reasoning, not what was really being displayed. It's a very common mistake, but I choose to look for God's meaning when common interpretation actually contradicts other scripture. And remember 1 Corinthians was already circulated through all the churches before Acts was written. You are reading Acts without any consideration to 1 Cor. accept to discredit it and say it was ONLY to the Corinthians. That is not good exegesis. So you tell me - how does 1 Cor. 14:2 and Pentecost jive?

1 Corinthians 14:2New King James Version (NKJV)

2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

How did the Jews understand? What gift is speaking a language you've never learned, but is understood by others naturally? There is none. What does NO ONE UNDERSTANDS mean to you? We know there is the (supernatural) gift of interpretation of (supernatural) tongues. THAT is how it jives.
Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians was corrective teaching on how to use tongues and prophecy at the right time and place and in the right way. It is not a comprehensive manual on tongues and prophecy. It is limited to correcting the specific issues that he saw in the way the Corinthians practiced tongues and prophecy. We need to read 1 Corinthians 14 in the positive and not the negative. We don't use what Paul wrote to say that most churches misuse the gift of tongues. We use what Paul wrote to learn how to use tongues and prophecy in the right way. I am sure that when Paul went to that church, he went into a lot more detail about tongues and prophecy when he taught them in person. We don't have that information, so there is a lot that Paul knew and believed about tongues and prophecy we don't know about. But his teaching on tongues and prophecy points us in the right direction.

Luke was not a theologian or Bible teacher. The Book of Acts is his diary about what he saw and heard before and during Paul's ministry. He was probably present on the day of Pentecost, and knew first-hand of the events that happened right through to the conversion of Paul and while he accompanied Paul on his missionary journeys. I believe he was with Paul right up to nearly the end, where his diary finishes abruptly. We don't know why Luke's diary finished so abruptly or whether there were other additions which were lost.

What I am saying is that we cannot base a doctrine on the nature of the gift of tongues based on Luke's accounts, because he did not go into any further detail about them. He merely wrote what he saw. Paul was the Bible teacher, and so Paul does go into some detail about tongues, but as I said, it is relatively limited because he was problem solving when he wrote those things. Paul was not an extensive writer. He dictated his letters to a scribe. Also, a letter is not a comprehensive theological treatise. We have limited information about the background to any of Paul's letters. We can only assume that each letter pointed to specific things that Paul wanted to say to each church. They were tailored to the particular characteristics of each church he wrote to. We also don't know of any other letters, which I am sure he wrote, but they are lost to us now.

There is a lot of accompanying Christian literature written at the time, but much of that is not accessible to us because it was not accepted by the Church as part of the canon of Scripture. What we do have is interesting reading. I wonder if there is more literature in the secret vaults at the Vatican that might make things clearer to us?

It seems that the first real major theological work was completed by Augustine in the late 4th Century (I may be wrong because there was a lot of literature stored in the great library of Alexandria which was destroyed at one time, and that might have contained relevant theological works that would have made First Century Christian thought more clear to us). Augustine makes interesting reading, and give some good insight concerning the nature of the Church in the 4th Century.

However, these are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟842,369.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Very well stated. My heart cries for the church at large that is such unbelief. Many must believe God went on vacation once all the letters and gospels were compiled into the Bible.
Isn't that what Elijah said to the prophets of Baal at Carmel? He suggested that the reason why their god did not come down with fire and burn up the offering was that he might have been on vacation or on the toilet! I do think that some believe that when God rested, He went off to sleep and no longer intervenes in human affairs.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians was corrective teaching on how to use tongues and prophecy at the right time and place and in the right way. It is not a comprehensive manual on tongues and prophecy. It is limited to correcting the specific issues that he saw in the way the Corinthians practiced tongues and prophecy. We need to read 1 Corinthians 14 in the positive and not the negative. We don't use what Paul wrote to say that most churches misuse the gift of tongues. We use what Paul wrote to learn how to use tongues and prophecy in the right way. I am sure that when Paul went to that church, he went into a lot more detail about tongues and prophecy when he taught them in person. We don't have that information, so there is a lot that Paul knew and believed about tongues and prophecy we don't know about. But his teaching on tongues and prophecy points us in the right direction.

Luke was not a theologian or Bible teacher. The Book of Acts is his diary about what he saw and heard before and during Paul's ministry. He was probably present on the day of Pentecost, and knew first-hand of the events that happened right through to the conversion of Paul and while he accompanied Paul on his missionary journeys. I believe he was with Paul right up to nearly the end, where his diary finishes abruptly. We don't know why Luke's diary finished so abruptly or whether there were other additions which were lost.

What I am saying is that we cannot base a doctrine on the nature of the gift of tongues based on Luke's accounts, because he did not go into any further detail about them. He merely wrote what he saw. Paul was the Bible teacher, and so Paul does go into some detail about tongues, but as I said, it is relatively limited because he was problem solving when he wrote those things. Paul was not an extensive writer. He dictated his letters to a scribe. Also, a letter is not a comprehensive theological treatise. We have limited information about the background to any of Paul's letters. We can only assume that each letter pointed to specific things that Paul wanted to say to each church. They were tailored to the particular characteristics of each church he wrote to. We also don't know of any other letters, which I am sure he wrote, but they are lost to us now.

There is a lot of accompanying Christian literature written at the time, but much of that is not accessible to us because it was not accepted by the Church as part of the canon of Scripture. What we do have is interesting reading. I wonder if there is more literature in the secret vaults at the Vatican that might make things clearer to us?

It seems that the first real major theological work was completed by Augustine in the late 4th Century (I may be wrong because there was a lot of literature stored in the great library of Alexandria which was destroyed at one time, and that might have contained relevant theological works that would have made First Century Christian thought more clear to us). Augustine makes interesting reading, and give some good insight concerning the nature of the Church in the 4th Century.

However, these are my thoughts for what they are worth.

What I wrote was in response to another poster who was basically saying 1 Corinthians was not written to us, and he also had the Pentecost account screwed up saying the tongues was not supernatural, only the hearing. Many teachers today say the opposite, that the tongues were supernatural and the hearing was natural. Both are wrong. It was a clear case of both the speaking and hearing being supernatural with tongues and interpretation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I recently watched a really great sermon from John MacArthur on understanding God's will. He backs everything up with scripture references, and has a very calm but straightforward way of speaking which is easy to listen to and understand. It was really helpful for me in a sort of foundation way, like if you can grasp and practice this basic foundation, everything else falls into place, from choosing a spouse to using any spiritual gifts to making a career choice and beyond.

My basic notes from the sermon were (again he provides scripture references for all of this):

God's Will
1. That you be saved (delivered from sin, death and judgement via repenting) - That you embrace Christ and follow His teachings
2. That you be spirit-filled - Don't use substances - Don't wallow in negative or selfish energy - Be controlled by the Holy Spirit and nothing else (signs are feelings of reverence, gratitude, humility towards God and Christ)
3. That you be sanctified (separated from sin) - That you stay away from sexual sin - Don't take advantage of other people for any reason - etc
4. That you be submissive (humility) to God, then one another / to husband and to institutions/government (civil disobedience towards unGodly commands with acceptance of government punishment)
5. That you suffer when necessary in order to do what is right (God uses suffering and our weaknesses to perfect us)
6. That you be grateful in everything and give thanks in prayer

Conclusion from Psalm 37, "Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass." In essence first master following God's will, and then He will plant desires in your heart that are His will, and then you just do them (and automatically check all desires with God's will based on scripture, which you will have already mastered doing down to a default, so that it all just comes together).

Here is the sermon video:

As far as #3 being sanctified, I searched for a list of all sins mentioned in the scriptures and found this page: A Bible study on Sin (Part-6A)

From this page I composed a list of goals by inverting the described sins:

- Obey, respect, glorify and trust in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit - exclusively above all else
- Be baptized, Keep the Sabbath holy, take Communion
- Do not harm others directly, indirectly or by influence - spiritually, physically, emotionally, socially, financially
- Be compassionate, patient and respectful towards other - spiritually, physically, emotionally, socially, financially
- Embrace humility and modesty - spiritually, intellectually, aesthetically
- Let go of anger, fear, jealousy, shame, pride
- Endure hardship contently and without complaint; allow hardship to assist in spiritual growth
- Take only what is needed; say only what is important
- Uphold integrity, both actively and passively, both in action and in word
cleardot.gif

So for the "sanctification" part of the list for God's will, I use these goals on a card to read daily when focusing on what I am trying to work on.

So I figure if I dedicate my best effort to working on these things and improve over time, then over time it should become more of an automatic, smooth process of doing what God wants in my life without having to hurt my brain (lol) trying to 'figure out' what to do in every situation or with every topic.
His sermons on the beatitudes is an excellent place to start as well

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟808,501.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you learn of a brother who was fired from their job, what is your initial response? Do you want to contact him to encourage him, contribute to their financial situation, offer to have his car serviced, pray for him, have empathy towards him, etc.?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,727.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well there are 9 gifts available. A message of knowledge
  • A message of wisdom
  • Knowledge
  • Faith
  • Gifts of healings
  • Miracles
  • Prophecy
  • Discerning of spirits
  • Speaking in tongues
  • Interpretation of tongues
Thankfully, after 20 posts someone has finally addressed what the Scriptures speak of when we refer to 'spiritual gifts'; though you accidentally left of knowledge which is of course the second of the nine Manifestations of the Spirit - easy to do!

By pointing us back to the Scriptures you have established a Biblical benchmark, where Paul has prescribed the entirety of the 9 Manifestations of the Holy Spirit. The reason that I always refer to this list as Manifestations of the Holy Spirit is because this is the way that Paul describes them, in that they are an outworking (not a gift) of the Holy Spirit from within the Believer either to the Father or to others, though the Spirit will also speak to the Believer who he resides within through at least five of these Manifestations such as wisdom, knowledge, faith, discerning of Spirits and interpretation of tongues.

When most people discuss what they deem to be spiritual gifts, this immediately creates a dilemma in that neither Paul nor any other Biblical author uses this particular English expression; this can be seen within the numerous commentaries that address 1Cor 12, 13 & 14 where the commentators will acknowledge that whereas Paul has used the Greek words pneumatikos and charisma the various English translations have regularly inserted spiritual gifts which is a point of contention for many such commentators particularly with the 1Cor 12:1.

About one good piece of advice that I could give to anyone is to avoid these often very questionable "Know your gifts" seminars and books as they are best suited for the secular business world.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,727.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What I wrote was in response to another poster who was basically saying 1 Corinthians was not written to us, and he also had the Pentecost account screwed up saying the tongues was not supernatural, only the hearing. Many teachers today say the opposite, that the tongues were supernatural and the hearing was natural. Both are wrong. It was a clear case of both the speaking and hearing being supernatural with tongues and interpretation.
The problem with your understanding is that it cannot be deduced from within Acts 2. Why would the Holy Spirit be given to the unregenerate on the Day of Pentecost when this particular event was about the Holy Spirit being given to the new fledgling Church, he certainly did not come to the unregenerate.

Upvote 0