United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,
First off, I do not really consider myself traditionalist. I have my own...not heterodox, but not necessarily orthodox, ideas about some things, and I'll leave it at that. Anyway, one area in which I lean more traditionalist is in the orientation of worship. Over the past few months/years, I've started to see ad orientem worship (that is, where the priest faces with the people towards God) as a more logical setup.

My home parish, at present, cannot do ad orientem worship. This is because it was built after Vatican II, and is therefore optimized for versus populum, with the Tabernacle to the side of the Altar, opposite the Ambo. However, I recently learned that the parish will be changing this, moving the Tabernacle behind the Altar. They didn't say anything in particular about switching direction, but I think this would make it more conducive.

The question is, how should I approach this with the pastor? Should I even bring it up? I'm not part of a council, just one of the lectors. The priests all know me reasonably well (by name, at least), and I'd like to think they consider me a good Catholic. I wouldn't even want to impose this on all Masses, just have some variation and see how people like it, hopefully moving towards exclusively-ad-orientem worship.

Let me clarify as well: I am not planning to ask about EF or Latin Mass. It is my understanding, as per the GIRM and several writings, that it is perfectly possible to carry out a Novus Ordo Mass ad orientem. I don't care that much about the language or the vestments or even chant (though we do chant for the Agnus Dei, which I like). All I'd want to do is "spin the priest," so to speak.

How would you approach this? What should I do?

Wigglesworth

Simple Chicken Farmer
Aug 21, 2004
Visit site
✟17,933.00
Faith
Charismatic
You have no authority to spin the priest. He may even be restricted from spinning by the bishop. It is probably safe to assume he is opposed to spinning and wouldn't rock the boat by trying it out. You could ask if he ever celebrated ad orientem to start a conversation, but you might frighten him into avoiding further discussion.

Upvote 0

Hamlet7768

World's Second-Worst Polemicist
Nov 2, 2013
United States of America
✟30,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You have no authority to spin the priest. He may even be restricted from spinning by the bishop. It is probably safe to assume he is opposed to spinning and wouldn't rock the boat by trying it out. You could ask if he ever celebrated ad orientem to start a conversation, but you might frighten him into avoiding further discussion.

All fair points. I wouldn't presume to think I have the authority; I merely was thinking to suggest it.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all,
First off, I do not really consider myself traditionalist. I have my own...not heterodox, but not necessarily orthodox, ideas about some things, and I'll leave it at that. Anyway, one area in which I lean more traditionalist is in the orientation of worship. Over the past few months/years, I've started to see ad orientem worship (that is, where the priest faces with the people towards God) as a more logical setup.

My home parish, at present, cannot do ad orientem worship. This is because it was built after Vatican II, and is therefore optimized for versus populum, with the Tabernacle to the side of the Altar, opposite the Ambo. However, I recently learned that the parish will be changing this, moving the Tabernacle behind the Altar. They didn't say anything in particular about switching direction, but I think this would make it more conducive.

The question is, how should I approach this with the pastor? Should I even bring it up? I'm not part of a council, just one of the lectors. The priests all know me reasonably well (by name, at least), and I'd like to think they consider me a good Catholic. I wouldn't even want to impose this on all Masses, just have some variation and see how people like it, hopefully moving towards exclusively-ad-orientem worship.

Let me clarify as well: I am not planning to ask about EF or Latin Mass. It is my understanding, as per the GIRM and several writings, that it is perfectly possible to carry out a Novus Ordo Mass ad orientem. I don't care that much about the language or the vestments or even chant (though we do chant for the Agnus Dei, which I like). All I'd want to do is "spin the priest," so to speak.

How would you approach this? What should I do?

first look at the make-up of your parish and see what percentage of the members are over 60 years old. Those would be the ones who most likely would be familiar with the Traditional Mass.

Next, if your parish offers multiple masses, see if there is a greater preponderance of those over 60 at one mass, or if the numbers are about even.

Then take that info to the priests and ask if they would be willing to say the traditional mass once a month at the mass time that has the largest number of those over 60.

Give it a 3 month trial and see what happens to the attendance numbers.
Best wishes!

Asking for one traditional mass a month is a good place to begin.

Upvote 0

Hamlet7768

World's Second-Worst Polemicist
Nov 2, 2013
United States of America
✟30,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Asking for one traditional mass a month is a good place to begin.

Only quoting this for space and because it's the one part I can directly address. I suppose it does make sense to request it for perhaps one a month. However, I'm not sure if you read my post. I'm not interested in calling for Tridentine Liturgy, though it could be cool in its own right. I'm more interested in the celebration of the Mass of Paul VI ad orientem.

Upvote 0