United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone!

I don’t think I’ve posted on this sub thread before.But for a couple months now I’ve been pondering about the parable of the talents.

I sadly and unfortunately am not attending church right now,but desperately want to.And every church I’ve looked at has something that doesn’t seem doctrinally sound.But I don’t want to be an unproductive servant,I don’t want to be the “wicked and lazy servant” OR the servant who produced 4 talents,I want to be the one who produced 10 talents,but I simply don’t know how,out of church how can I do that,I know it’s extremely easy to figure it out inside church,but in my Situation how can I produce more talents.The thought of disappointing and failing God cuts me the deepest,so I want to be a very productive servant.And I’m searching for churches near me,looking at their beliefs,and judging wether or not to look into them

How can I do that?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Unqualified

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟205,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Take what The Lord has given you and share it with others. Has the The Lord blessed you in any way recently? Then share that with others. It brings Glory to His Name. It is a testimony of how Good The Lord is to you. I do it all the time, as He is worthy of it. Think of the talents as a measure of Grace. To each He gives a different amount. Freely He has given to you, so freely give(share.) I have found the more I give water to a person that is thirsty, the more The Lord fills my cup. And many times to overflowing. The world is full of hungry and thirsty souls. They need to hear about Him through us. So there it is, that is how to invest your talents.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone!

I don’t think I’ve posted on this sub thread before.But for a couple months now I’ve been pondering about the parable of the talents.

I sadly and unfortunately am not attending church right now,but desperately want to.And every church I’ve looked at has something that doesn’t seem doctrinally sound.But I don’t want to be an unproductive servant,I don’t want to be the “wicked and lazy servant” OR the servant who produced 4 talents,I want to be the one who produced 10 talents,but I simply don’t know how,out of church how can I do that,I know it’s extremely easy to figure it out inside church,but in my Situation how can I produce more talents.The thought of disappointing and failing God cuts me the deepest,so I want to be a very productive servant.And I’m searching for churches near me,looking at their beliefs,and judging wether or not to look into them

How can I do that?

In the Parable of the Talent, the "talent" determined one's salvation so I can tell you what's it's not. It's not about making money nor having spiritual gifts and using those gifts to help other people. It isn't about "soul-winning" nor serving in the church either.

Given the overall context of Christ's teachings, the "talent" is all about having the knowledge of the truth in you. The good servants kept an open mind, had the courage to deal with the risks of questioning their own beliefs and were able to expand their knowledge of the truth. The wicked and lazy servant (the Lukewarm Christians) is too afraid questioning their own belief out of fear of losing their salvation or simply too lazy in matters concerning the Truth. They don't even bother to investigate if anything we've been told in churches has any truth in it. In a sense, they lock away the little knowledge they've been given and bury it.

You can see the problem with the wicked and lazy servant. That kind of attitude makes you quite vulnerable to false teachings so even the little knowledge of the truth they've been given they lost from false teachings.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah chapter 30 . God won't hide your teachers in corner anymore, your see them with your own eyes.
Jesus needs productive servants. Your on right path friend.
I suggest buying king James companion bible and STRONGS concordance.
This is for serious bible students or Teachers.
If you need help with bible studies.
I recommend. Shepherds chapel, pastor dennis murray, on YouTube.
Or theseason.org bible. Roger christopherson.
Best of wishes.

Upvote 0

Br4nd0n

Mar 24, 2017
Canada
✟71,497.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the word is living and active. And i heard the talents in this parable are the interpretation of scripture from the Holy Spirit that people recieve. So understanding the mysteries of the Word, i guess you could say.

Bit you seem to have a passion to serve God. He will show you if you keep searching, He will show you in greater ways than some random (me) telling you what to do or how to do it. Im still trying to figure it out too :) i can get you more info on the talents if youre interested

Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟118,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I
I think the word is living and active. And i heard the talents in this parable are the interpretation of scripture from the Holy Spirit that people recieve. So understanding the mysteries of the Word, i guess you could say.

Bit you seem to have a passion to serve God. He will show you if you keep searching, He will show you in greater ways than some random (me) telling you what to do or how to do it. Im still trying to figure it out too :) i can get you more info on the talents if youre interested
Please!

Reactions: Br4nd0n
Upvote 0

Br4nd0n

Mar 24, 2017
Canada
✟71,497.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a section from one of our personal bible studies we are doing. Its a little lengthy, but i think it will help. My friend said there is more support for this interpretation of the talents than presented, but he would have to go into the surrounding parables more....

Upvote 0

Br4nd0n

Mar 24, 2017
Canada
✟71,497.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Futility Of Serving Two Masters

Though Christ's return would not come in their lifetime, Christians in the early church would nevertheless live to see the conquest of Jerusalem at the hands of the Romans, and the destruction of the Jewish temple just as Jesus had prophesied (Matthew 24:1-2). God's judgment finally came against them, and the treasures of the Temple were carted back to Rome as trophies of war. Rich Jews who had invested their lives in accumulating wealth lost everything, including their lives in many cases, when their property was confiscated and subsumed by the Roman army.

This is why the Lord had taught to seek spiritual "treasures" instead, telling His disciples that they were blessed because of everything they could see spiritually:

Blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear. For assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it... Then He said to them, “Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of Heaven is like a householder, who brings out of his treasure things both new and old.” (Matthew 13:16-17, 52)

Things "new and old" here was a reference to revelations of God from both the Old and New Testaments. He taught on eight different parables in the context of saying these words to them, so His teaching was to be rich spiritually, so as to be able to show others the treasures you had amassed from seeing what others didn't see, and hearing what others didn't hear.

This is why giving oneself to seeking material wealth instead was such a terrible mistake, for there was no way to do both. As Jesus would also teach them, it was like trying to serve two masters, and in such situations only one could be served:

No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon. Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:24-34)

There was to be a continual growth in the knowledge of God, so that the spiritually rich became even richer, while those who chose to remain spiritually poor would become even poorer. Jesus taught this principle as well, warning about the spiritual "haves and have nots" as it were, and that those who had would attain even more, but those who had not would eventually lose even what little they had.

And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. (Matthew 13:10-13)

This is the same principle the Lord was teaching in the Parable of the Talents, and here the exact same message was put forward, meaning that the talents (that is, bags of gold) represented spiritual wealth, and more particularly revelations from God.

Again, [the kingdom of Heaven] will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two talents, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five talents more. So also, the one with two talents gained two more. But the man who had received one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his lord's money. After a long time the lord of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received five talents brought the other five, saying, "Lord, you delivered unto me five talents. Behold, I have gained five more." His Lord said unto him, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord!" And having come, the one given two talents said, "Lord, you delivered unto me two talents. Behold, I have gained two more." His Lord said unto him, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord!" But having come, the one who had received one talent said, "Lord, I knew that you were a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not scatter seed. And being fearful, having gone I went and hid your talent in the ground. Behold, you have what is yours." His lord replied, "You wicked and lazy servant! You knew that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not scattered seed? Then you should have put my silver on deposit with the bankers, and then having come I would have received mine own with interest. Therefore, take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents. For unto everyone who has shall more be given, and he shall have an abundance. But from him who does not have, even what he has shall be taken from him. And cast into outer darkness the useless servant. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:15-30)

To go and "work" with the riches the Lord had given them represented sharing the revelations He had entrusted to them with others, which in turn would then cause it to grow and increase. There is an old saying that, "Those who teach, learn," and this is true in spiritual things as well. It is when we share with others what God has taught us that we open the door for more to be given us, in part because teaching leads to new questions, and to searching for new answers. This is why the man who simply buried his one talent in the earth and hid it away was condemned so strongly. He could have at least "given it to the bankers," which here likely represented sharing it with Rabbis that would have at least made it known to others, so that the Lord might have had at least some return on His investment. Instead, the wicked servant told no one, but hid away what he was shown so that no one could see it.

Thus, the teaching was to serve One Master and One alone, and devote one's life to becoming ever richer spiritually to make others richer in the process. This was the wise thing to do given that those who were pursuing material wealth in Israel were about to have it taken away, which He had also prophesied accurately, at least to those who were listening to Him.

Attachments

• 1695230367139.gif
    1695230367139.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 19
  • 1695230367266.gif
    1695230367266.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 18
  • 1695230367377.gif
    1695230367377.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 20
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟247,157.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I sadly and unfortunately am not attending church right now,but desperately want to.And every church I’ve looked at has something that doesn’t seem doctrinally sound.
Hello Blaise. It does seem that you're doing pretty well. Being faithful to God and his word in an apostate age is being a good servant. The unproductive servant IMHO would rather be the one who sits in or supports a church that he/she knows to be wrong for whatever reason. I made that mistake once in a Pentecostal Church, lingering on and hoping for change, nothing good comes of it. But 'he who seeks finds', God's faithful people are out there, I pray you'll be led soon to a gathering of other believers where you can be blessed and be a blessing. Keep seeking. God Bless You :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Myles Munroe covers the parable in The Power of Money teaching. He explains what it meant and why He used that example. Your question is covered and the entire message is broached from a Kingdom position. Not financial spoils.

In the natural, the best way to increase our aptitude is through intention and discipline. This is best expressed with a pie in mind divided in quarters. Make a list of your responsibilities and estimate the time required for completion.

For instance, there's 168 hours in a week. If you work 40 hours that's a quarter of your time accounted for. When you draw the diagram you'd put work in one quadrant (25%) leaving 75% percent to play with. Don't forget time for meals, sleep and leisure.

Most people assume they have more availability than they do and few realize how much they spend on leisure. Which includes games, social media and surfing the Internet. Charting your time forces you to make adjustments to prioritize the things you want to learn and improve.

Once you have a grip on your schedule you can follow with your interests. Make a list of 10 things you enjoy/are good at and 10 you'd like to learn. Look for complements between them. Pinpoint three for consideration. Ideally topics of interest where you've demonstrated skill of some sort. That's easier to undertake than starting from zero.

For example, if you excel at writing look for comparable interests that rely on that skill or research them. You'll develop three related skills that utilize on the one you have. That's how you multiply quickly. Play to your strengths.

The talents weren't given haphazardly. They recognized each person's aptitude. Which we normally associate with know how but the bible goes further. Application matters more. How are we using God's investment? The servant was punished for that reason. He was given what he could handle and buried (failed to use) what he received.

Conscientiousness is an important part of mastery and you've demonstrated it in your post. Choose something you want to learn and set a target. Three to twelve months is ideal. Make a note of your progress each month and choose your next focus before you finish. When you're done jot down what you've learned and gained through your study and continue doing the same.

It may sound slow at first glance but only 5% of the population does the same. Out of the group only 3% accomplishes what they intended. Given those numbers it isn't difficulty to develop mastery if you're focused.

You can see this in action on my post in the hobby thread. Everything's connected. As you become more in tune with your interests you'll begin to narrow. You've taken the most important step. Enjoy your time exploring.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums