How do I discern God's voice from my own?

rachelred827

Feb 11, 2016
Indiana
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been dating a guy for 20 months (a year and 8 months). We've had an absolutely amazing relationship and have fought little. We love each others families and friends, hang out a lot, Go to church together, read the bible together and many more things. He has been everything I've ever wanted in a relationship and we have just been "perfect" together. I've always been confident that I was going to marry him. He would ask me things like "Well how do you know that Im The One?" and I said that I dont know how I knew, I just did. I honestly couldn't explain how I knew.
During this past Christmas break we talked about the possibility of engagement coming up in the next year but then the past 3 weeks had been a little bit harder on us and we were arguing more than usual and hanging out less (We go to school 1.5 hours away from each other).
I knew something was wrong but I didnt exactly know what. We met half way and talk about things. We talked about different parts of our relationship that could possibly effect our relationship if we got married in the future (how we handle money differently was one of them). He then mentioned to me that in the last two weeks he started having some small feelings for another girl at his school (he didnt act on any of the feelings). He had been so confused the past couple weeks because he didnt know if those feelings were actual feelings, or feelings that were stupid and would go away in a day or if it was God testing him on our relationship to see if he would remain faithful or if it was for him to figure out if he wanted to be with me or not.
He said he still loved me, he did, but he wasnt sure if he was IN LOVE with me. He said it wasnt fair for me to be in a relationship with him if he wasnt 100% into it at the moment. We decided that it was best if we "took a break"/ breakup until the end of the month then meet again and talk about things again. During this time, we are only talking once a week to see how our weeks have been.
This has been very very hard for me because I love him so much and I honestly thought we were going to get married. I dont want to lose him. The other day at my school we had a speaker who said this, " Now bow your heads and hold out your hands like you're holding something. Take a few minutes and think about a word or a phrase or someone.".....I immediately thought about my boyfriend and I would visually see his name in my hands. I kept trying to stop thinking about him because the topic for her talk had nothing to do with love or boyfriends or anything of that matter but I could not stop visually seeing his name. she continues to say, " now imagine God cupping your hands and you look up and he's smiling because he is happy with what"you're thinking. He is smiling because he is happy. And then God says 'Peace' 'Peace' 'Peace"......I immediately started crying because right before going to listen to this lady talk I had written out a prayer to God asking for guidance and comfort. I had written God to ask if he would give me a clear sign of what to do and if my boyfriend and I are supposed to be together or not. Also I had written for God to give me Peace 3 separate time sin my prayer. 3 times, just as many as the lady had said out loud. I think this was the sign from God I had asked for but how do I know it isnt me just thinking this and making it all up? How do I really know what God wants us to do?

ClarinetScore

Aug 7, 2016
Malaysia
✟15,255.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Uh... I've been in several relationships before and have had supernatural stuff happen. Well, if it's something in the physical... it's called "putting out a fleece" or trying to confirm something using a physical sign. In the state you're in, I wouldn't recommend trying to hearing God at all IN THIS AREA. You're too emotionally invested and man can hear whatever they want to hear if it's something they really want. In Num. 22, we see the account of Balaam. At first, he turns away the king's men who offered him money because he HAD to do it (his heart really wanted the money) but the next time around, when the king offered more, Balaam took the offer. If there's something we want more than God, that's shaky ground the devil can take advantage of (not saying that in condemnation, we all have our areas. It's just a fact like we need air to breathe).

By the way, it isn't God testing him (James 1:12–17). Just identifying the source.

I really hope you have someone in your area who's mature (in the fruit of the Spirit with extreme patience, kindness, gentleness, etc.) and knows how to be Spirit-led, a type of person who's both strong in Word and Spirit. These types of people should be able to pray for and help you pray for wisdom for how to deal with the situation. Please be sure to pray for wisdom for yourself and your boyfriend as well (James 1 [if any lacks wisdom for trials]).

Upvote 0