How can we know that God is omnibenevolent? If we can't, why have Faith?

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Law set before them was a part of God's Creations, as was the Penalties for disobedience to said Law.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil has within it's Fruit DEATH it causes Death both Spiritual and Physical.

The Penalties as you call them were not imposed by God for disobedience, they come from the Tree itself.

God was instructing Adam that Death resides withing the Fruit, not Commanding him not to eat of it or I will kill you, (Cause you to Die) if you disobey Me.

There is also the Tree of Life in the Garden and in the Fruit of that Tree is Eternal life, anyone eating of that Tree will live Forever.

Gen. 3:22
And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

The only thing God could do at that point was hide the Tree of Life from Mankind.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,475,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't get the OP. if God was really some cosmic sadist, Who knew we'd fall from the beginning, He wouldn't need to interact with creation at all. just watch fallen man from a distance and enjoy us tear each other apart.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why are you treating God like a common human? Like Father Matt said, if God would try to act sadistically in a human way then he would not be able to offer a chance.

Also, do you apply that skepticism with everything? How do I know you are not just trolling? Nothing is a guarantee for that. Maybe I am a Martian who is trying to understand human interactions.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't get the OP. if God was really some cosmic sadist, Who knew we'd fall from the beginning, He wouldn't need to interact with creation at all. just watch fallen man from a distance and enjoy us tear each other apart.

What if a sense of false hope is the real sadism? And what if he is watching at a distance tearing ourselves a part as we speak?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,475,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What if a sense of false hope is the real sadism? And what if he is watching at a distance tearing ourselves a part as we speak?

then He would not allow atheism, as they have no sense of false hope (they have no hope at all).

if He is just watching at a distance, we'd have no concept of Him.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,891.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The problem I see with the OP, is that too much effort is being wasted on things you cannot possibly know unless you know God.
Rather than waste time on something that is clearly unprofitable, you should emulate the Saints and spend your time coming to know God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If God gave a measure of free will, He no longer created the choices that would be made.
Yes, but this means God is free from you to a measure, as well. That doesn't sound too good. Let's put it this way: being free from God is a sin to God because in His own worldview only His will is done. To address the topic, God is All-Good in the way that He won't force anybody; He wishes peace with everybody. Yet, God cannot take care of those who are not His elect. If there are those who totally reject Him, they are fully responsible for their own good which is different from God's. So, if their own measurements were wrong and found themselves in hell, it wouldn't be because God wasn't all-good towards them, but because He couldn't reach them.

Upvote 0