Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I mainly only do my Bible study alone before I go to bed. I don't always do it everyday but I do try to remember to at least do a short devotional. Thankfully, the Lord is helping me to grow spiritually. I am currently learning to be more sensitive to Conservatives and Conservative beliefs that I disagree with. I have, at times, been too bold in my opinions.

Upvote 0

Daily Miracle

Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
✟548.00
Faith
Christian
I read the Bible almost every night, and the next day, I listen to sermons that apply to the chapter I'm reading. I usually use the archives at Calvary Chapel Ft. Lauderdale.

I also listen online to Adrian Rogers, Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll, and a few others.

If I don't understand something I read, I listen to BlueLetterBible.com for an audio reading of the chapter. I have a hard time with some of the names, so it's nice to hear someone else say them correctly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On the other hand, *some* websites do point the way to a bigger truth. for example, there are some websites that are really good at explaining the truth about tithing, but I found another non-tithing site written by a guy that was really...um...weird.

So you're right as always Bev, that we must always be on guard about those so-called "truths" we must be discerning at all times. Where was it I read in this huge forum, someone said something about men and the Bible...? To quote (to the effect): "the Bible doesn't contradict, it was men who interpret the Bible that contradicts" Men's traditions, men's doctrines, dogmas, creeds, politics, etc etc is what pulling the church down.

For this forum, may I suggest something? If we have a question about a particular verse....say, I have a question about the book of Philemon, that I'm not sure what Paul really is saying, you guys post your interpretation and why you think it makes sense to you. This would give me alternate answers to meditate and see if it makes sense to ME. That would be fine in the General Theology, but there seems to be some debating there, and it leaves people more confused, and I thought that here, we give people room to study.

If this isn't feasible, that's Ok...I'm just tossing ideas around. :)

Upvote 0
B

Bevlina

For this forum, may I suggest something? If we have a question about a particular verse....say, I have a question about the book of Philemon, that I'm not sure what Paul really is saying, you guys post your interpretation and why you think it makes sense to you. This would give me alternate answers to meditate and see if it makes sense to ME. That would be fine in the General Theology, but there seems to be some debating there, and it leaves people more confused, and I thought that here, we give people room to study.

Of course Lori!

Upvote 0

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible I'm using is the NASB; the New Inductive Study Bible. I've already studied Philemon; but it would be interesting to hear what others think what Paul is saying in this book.

Maybe a thread..for each book? Let me know if it's ok!

Upvote 0

theCreator'schild

Feb 8, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟361.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
loribee59 said:

If this isn't feasible, that's Ok...I'm just tossing ideas around. :)

Hello! I'm still somewhat of a newbie here, but I would love to be involved in this "study". I'm not a debater and arguing is not my thing, but I love to hear other peoples views or interpretation of scripture passages. Please let me know when this thread starts?!? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Living Stone

Feb 21, 2005
✟660.00
Faith
Christian
Bevlina said:
How do you do your Home Study of the Bible and it's contents? I do mine with friends sometimes, but mainly I do this alone. I find some wonderful material on the web.
normally I study alone.
then compare notes with others I trust not to add to the words or distort them.

I have two ''mentors'' that I trust and ask them how they feel about something once I have studied it out.

I usually dont tell them what Ive concluded so I dont have to feel like their catering to me.

Like Ive been studying marriage of late drew some conclusions that suprised me some.
I called the one gent and just asked him his views on certian passages and was amazed that he had already drawn the same conclusions.

Sadly, with so many wolves about in organized religion, home churches are quickly becoming a safe haven for those who dont want some preacher making us feel like we have to choose between sound doctrine and socializing with the group.

Im very careful about the web.
Especially forums.
Its worse than a church sometimes because of the many views that get thrown at you so fast that its very hard to keep things straight sometimes.

For every person in here who really is wanting to know truth and who has some valuable piece of truth to share with you, there are 10 that are better of not even reading what is said.

I use E-Sword, and I use commentaries to an extent just to see what their views are.

Also gettin the audio bible on Cd was the best $300 bucks Ive ever spent.

It was astounding to learn what I had missed when reading that really stood out when I heard it.

And you cant get a better sermon.

If you want a sermon like Jesus or Paul would have given then get yourself an updated english version of the bible on audio cd.
I learned more in a few months than I had in a decade.

:)

Upvote 0

Redneck Crow

Too many unicorns.....
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
✟176,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been blessed to find a few people who are great at teaching. They all make the same point--"Take what I have said, then go to the scripture and compare it. If it is unsound, reject it, and tell me."

No matter what the source of insight and information, the teachings should be compared to scripture, be it what comes from a pulpit or what comes from a book or the net.

Upvote 0