Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Das ist sehr gut, Angel.

Es geht mir gut hier, auch.

I took 2 yrs of German in H.S. (largely self-taught, but that's another story). Then, in college, I took 2 semesters of it to get my BA. I have to admit, though, I'm more comfortable with Spanish right now, because we have a lot of Mexicans in our area & I just picked it up from some Mexican friends.

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Wols, soy de Indiana!!! Pero, tenemos muchos mexicanos aqui in el ciudad!!! En el campo (countryside), hay muchos mexicanos tambien (they are migrant workers).

Spanish is very similar to Italian. People might disagree with me, but I think it is. I learned Italian from Spanish and vice versa.

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Avila:

Spanish and Italian and French and Portuguese are all "Romance" languages. They came from the common root language, Latin. So, yes, you will find many similarities amongst all Romance languages.

When I took German in college, I was VERY surprised at the number of words that are similar to English. Lot of Germanic history in Anglo-Saxon language!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
VOW I know about that. It is pretty cool, really. I can sorta read some French and Portugese because of my background with Italian and Spanish. As for speaking, I'm totally clueless - unless you count for pronunciation only! :D

I think German comes so easily for me because of the history of many English words. I love words, language/s, and language development!

Upvote 0

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Avila,
I bet you have a large Wernike's lobe, it's a lobe in your brain largely responsible for language and language development. I am afraid mine is rather small. I was just in Germany and Italy, and managed to pick up neither...but Italy was a fiasco! Well glad to meet you.

Amie :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.