Writing4Jesus

Nov 8, 2004
Sunny Florida
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel yo' pain, sista'! Lol! I have so many unfinished stories, I could put them together for a book!! What I really want to do is write a novel! I got some ideas, but theyre kinda jumbled up. What you really need is time and patience, which I have none of, which is my problem...

Reactions: die2live
Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2002
Alabama
✟30,950.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
only thing i can say is that when you write you've got to write something that keeps your interest. once you lose interest in what you're writing it's really hard to keep going. endings for me just kind of happen. i write myself into an ending and go "well... i guess that's it." novels take time. lots of time and it's not always easy. if you want to force yourself to write a short novel you could always participate in one of those 50k words in a month challenge. NaNoWriMo is one such challenge and i think there are others out there.

for me, when i have ideas that don't want to be put on paper, i force it out. it's not the greatest but that's one way to go. maybe someone else has a better idea. also, when i have an idea that i can never seem to get around to writing i develop the characters. i have fun developing characters and it makes them more realistic and less stereotypical.

btw, you get even less time when you're older ;) just thought i'd mention that.

Upvote 0

pastel

Lex orandi lexest credendi
Jan 9, 2005
Markleeville
✟6,186.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I am writing, and a lot of ideas come to me, the best way for me to keep it clear is to write it out in outline form. When I see where the storyline needs to go, the story simply writes itself. Outlines are the quickest and easiest way to get the main ideas and the details sorted out in order.

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟23,457.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
I Beginning
A.where
B. When
II Middle
A. Who
B. Why

Well you get the idea. If you know the story roughly you want an outline is fairly easy to write. At least the roman numeral part. Filling out the levels below it is where it gets tougher. When I did a paper in college, I would always do an outline. Once I had the outline, the paper was practically finished.

Upvote 0

die2live

Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
✟10,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just write it all out. Doesn't matter how stupid it sounds the first time. That's what revising is for, I guess. I find endings and beginnings hard. But I find revising a lot easier than actual writing. So I just do it and work out the rough edges later. I've written two full drafts of one novel, which I've now decided to make into three with a really different plot line, so that's at least one more. I'm working on my third draft for another one. I really think it's okay not to have everything worked out until the fourth or fifth time. I think it makes it better. It just takes a bit more patience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
I agree. Everyone gets writer's block, but the best way to get through it is to write your way through it. Make a hot cup of tea and grit your teeth and write dry if necessary. You'll end up throwing a lot of it away and rewriting it: several times. But it's all part of the task of writing. I have several projects at any time, and sometimes if I get writer's block on one, I work on the other. The key is to always be working on one of them; as long as you're always writing, they will get done. I had to rework the entire second half of a book one time, because I changed the premise: after I had finished writing and editing the whole book.

But I wouldn't add too many projects. Set a certain number of projects you'll allow yourself to work on at any one time and make a time commitment. Once you have two or three projects, don't start a new one until one of the old ones is finished and edited. Then add a new one. But keep writing down ideas for new projects as they come-while you're restricted to your old projects, you don't want to forget the really good ideas that come to you in the meantime. They'll all get done.

Upvote 0

Rose D.

Thou and Thou only be first in my heart, O Lord
Sep 9, 2004
California
✟6,818.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can never write outlines - sometimes I jot down ideas for characters, scenes, or settings, but never an actual outline. One thing that helps me to write (I'm almost done with a historical novel) is to write the chapters in whatever order they come to me in. That way I don't get bogged down because of a difficult chapter, and I can come back to that chapter later and finish it.

The other thing I do that seems to help is to keep a document on the computer with little bits and pieces of interesting scenes that I can paste in different places where they fit - if a few lines of dialog that I want in the story somewhere comes to mind, but I don't know where I'll use it yet, I put it in that document for later.

And amen to what oncewaslost said - you'll have less time to write as you grow older.

Upvote 0

TigerLibby

Jan 7, 2005
Minnesota
✟167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have the same problem as you. I have about 10 stories that I haven't finnished...I just write whatever pops into my head and when I get an idea I add it. I agree with what other people said: Outlines are hard for me, but I think they would work. And if you don't like your first draft that's okay, you can always go back and rewrite a part. Just finnish the story, then go back and revise it.
God Bless
~Libby~

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Write something that interests you. If what you're writing bores you, either start over or jazz it up a bit. And to get past writers block, I find it's helpful to imagine that you're the main character of the story you're writing. Daydream, and role-play your character in your head.

Upvote 0

jobstears

Jan 20, 2005
✟357.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi Ladyknight,:wave:

One of the things I found when I first started writing was not to write something too long or drawn out...think of a story with a beginning, middle and end without dragging along in between. Think of a simple plot with a non-complicated setting and not too many characters, then tell your story and give it a good ending. Then once you have one story under your belt, the rest seem to come easier because you've built up some confidence.:thumbsup: Short stories are fun to write and they don't make you feel so overwhelmed in the process. It worked for me. I have lots of great story starters if you're interested. Just let me know, I'd be glad to help.:help:

blessings and good luck!
jobstears

Upvote 0