United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello,
Has someone an idea what the Jews saw in this verse, that made Jesus reply that their guilt remains ? And, too, whether wars could possibly originate in this kind of seeing of them ? (just a hypothesis of mine)
The point of the verse that Jesus made was that they did indeed NOT see .... they were blind about the truth of Him. They claimed to know the truth ..... yet they did acknowledge the works of Jesus.

John 9:41
Berean Standard Bible
“If you were blind,” Jesus replied, “you would not be guilty of sin. But since you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

John 15:24
If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have seen and hated both Me and My Father.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

port41919

Oct 31, 2022
Williamsport
✟17,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello,
Has someone an idea what the Jews saw in this verse, that made Jesus reply that their guilt remains ? And, too, whether wars could possibly originate in this kind of seeing of them ? (just a hypothesis of mine)
Barnes' Notes on the Bible
If ye were blind - If you were really blind had had no opportunities of learning the truth. If you were truly ignorant, and were willing to confess it, and to come to me for instruction.
No sin - You would not be guilty. Sin is measured by the capacities or ability of people, and by their opportunities of knowing the truth. If people had no ability to do the will of God, they could incur no blame. If they have all proper ability, and no disposition, God holds them to be guilty. This passage teaches conclusively:

1. that people are not condemned for what they cannot do.

2. that the reason why they are condemned is that they are not disposed to receive the truth.

3. that pride and self-confidence are the sources of condemnation.

4. that if people are condemned, they, and not God, will be to blame.

We see - We have knowledge of the law of God. This they had pretended when they professed to understand the law respecting the Sabbath better than Jesus, and had condemned him for healing on that day.

Your sin remaineth - You are guilty, and your sin is unpardoned. People's sins will always be unpardoned while they are proud, and self-sufficient, and confident of their own wisdom. If they will come with humble hearts and confess their ignorance, God will forgive, enlighten, and guide them in the path to heaven.

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟125,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Barnes' Notes on the Bible
If ye were blind - If you were really blind had had no opportunities of learning the truth. If you were truly ignorant, and were willing to confess it, and to come to me for instruction.
No sin - You would not be guilty. Sin is measured by the capacities or ability of people, and by their opportunities of knowing the truth. If people had no ability to do the will of God, they could incur no blame. If they have all proper ability, and no disposition, God holds them to be guilty. This passage teaches conclusively:

1. that people are not condemned for what they cannot do.

2. that the reason why they are condemned is that they are not disposed to receive the truth.

3. that pride and self-confidence are the sources of condemnation.

4. that if people are condemned, they, and not God, will be to blame.

We see - We have knowledge of the law of God. This they had pretended when they professed to understand the law respecting the Sabbath better than Jesus, and had condemned him for healing on that day.

Your sin remaineth - You are guilty, and your sin is unpardoned. People's sins will always be unpardoned while they are proud, and self-sufficient, and confident of their own wisdom. If they will come with humble hearts and confess their ignorance, God will forgive, enlighten, and guide them in the path to heaven.

There is a little more depth to the unpardonable sin.... but you are absolutely on track. Jesus states who their father is in Jhn 8:41- 44

Upvote 0