Help with a former Catholic.

markme2

Aug 26, 2014
✟7,632.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There is a woman that I know who grew up a Roman Catholic but when her mother died of cancer in pain she fell away from God completely even though her mum died happy with God and as a Catholic.

She told me that after a few years she returned to God but in the form of Protestantism. She has been a protestant ever since.

She has no hatred for the Catholic church and said she likes the reverence but how do I help her to come back home?

She said the protestant church she goes to is more scriptural than the Catholic church and she said that there was a lot of guilt put on her when she was younger (convent school).

We get on very well, should I invite her to Mass or something?

Is she committing heresy?

Thanks.

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with all of the responses in OBOB to your Thread posted Markme2.

There is one other thing that I would be doing for this Lady and that is taking her to a Holy Mass that has the Holy Rosary prayed just prior to Holy Mass which may be during the working week.

Jesus and our Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God can commence His Holy work on this Lady's heart as she is praying The Holy Rosary with others prior to Holy Mass while you pray for her return to Jesus' Catholic Church then leave the rest to our Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour

Love and kindest wishes your sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0

olderguy

Dedicated Follower of Lord Jesus
Apr 4, 2014
USA
✟7,937.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey Mark,

I don't see nothing wrong with where your friend is. The right church for anyone is the church that helps you be closest to God. The Bible says that God doesn't respect people in the way we might. I submit to you that God doesn't respect churches the way we do neither. I don't believe there's a Catholic god, a Baptist god, a Methodist god, a Lutheran god, etc. There is only 1 God and He has 1 begotten Son named Jesus. Anyone who calls on Jesus should all be 1 spiritual family. Your friend is alright where she is, and you are alright where you are. Just offer her comfort over losing her mother.

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

No, Emotions are not a good reason!
Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey Mark,

I don't see nothing wrong with where your friend is. The right church for anyone is the church that helps you be closest to God. The Bible says that God doesn't respect people in the way we might. I submit to you that God doesn't respect churches the way we do neither. I don't believe there's a Catholic god, a Baptist god, a Methodist god, a Lutheran god, etc. There is only 1 God and He has 1 begotten Son named Jesus. Anyone who calls on Jesus should all be 1 spiritual family. Your friend is alright where she is, and you are alright where you are. Just offer her comfort over losing her mother.

Hullo.

We don't believe there are myriads of "Christian" "gods", either. That's just silly.

But you have the right to know the truth about a person with whom you are in a relation. And it's not as good a relationship as it could be if you believe lies about a person, or more likely did not know sometimes important truths about a person.

Take a human example. If you had a wife, say. And you didn't know she liked playing tennis with a friend every Saturday afternoon. Do you think you might be better off knowing that, and perhaps the other circumstances around it? Maybe she'd like a tennis partner. Or maybe the tennis partner is a threat to your marriage.

As they say, knowledge is power. And, sorry, but Protestants are lacking a lot of knowledge about God, because they refuse to listen to His Church, the Catholic Church. then again, a lot of Catholics themselves don't know it either, and it's not required to know everything to get into Heaven.

But it can be very enriching. There's a saying in Ignatian spirituality: find God in all things. Have you seen God in all the ways He can be seen?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

olderguy

Dedicated Follower of Lord Jesus
Apr 4, 2014
USA
✟7,937.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ChesterKhan,

I don't think you read the OP's post very carefully. To start with, the OPer is another older man, and the woman may also be an older person. Secondly she is just a friend. Thirdly, she recently lost her mother to cancer. That's something I also went through. When we lose someone to death it's quite common to become confused about God. It can take years to feel normal again. Having experienced this myself, it's great the woman is going to any church at all. If this man tries to tell this woman she has to go to a certain church, the chances are she'll stop going to any church at all. Again, I speak from experience. Everyone grieves in their own ways, and there are no rules for surviving grief. When it happened to me I almost turned away from God completely for 2 years. I think your heart is in the right place. But your advice is wrong. Markme2 should just offer the woman emotional support. Grief and Theology don't mix.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
and...Jesus' Sacred Heart is His Church.

Fifth Day within Jesus' own Divine Mercy Holy 9 Day Novena for Good Friday to be prayed that Jesus requested through Saint Faustina for mankind to pray:

"Today bring to Me the souls of those separated from My Church and immerse them in the ocean of My Mercy. During My Bitter Passion, they tore at My Body and Heart, that is, My Church. As they return to unity with The Church, My Wounds heal, and in this way, they alleviate My Passion".

Most Merciful Jesus, Goodness Itself, You do not refuse light to those who seek it of You. Receive into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart the souls of those who have separated from Your Church. Draw them by Your Light into the unity of The Church, and do not let them escape from the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart; but bring it about that they, too, come to Glorify the generosity of Your Mercy, Amen.

Eternal Father, turn Your merciful Gaze upon the souls of those who are separated from Your Son's Church, especially those who have squandered Your Blessings and misused Your Graces by obstinately persisting in their errors. Do not look upon their errors, but upon the love of Your own Son and upon His bitter Passion, which He underwent for their sake, since they too are enclosed in His Most Compassionate Heart. Bring it about that they also may glorify Your great Mercy for endless ages, Amen.

Love and kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hullo again! :)

ChesterKhan,

I don't think you read the OP's post very carefully. To start with, the OPer is another older man, and the woman may also be an older person. Secondly she is just a friend.

I was particularly replying to you, not the OP.

And when I was speaking of relationships and such, I was speaking in reference to God, not the OP and his friend. Sorry if there was any confusion. :sorry:

His friend has the right to know God in His Fullness. And since you mention grief, any number of ways to cling closer to the heart of Jesus can be helpful. Devotions, prayers, saints who went through similar things. There are a thousand beds and pillows upon which to rest your head in the Catholic Church.

Thirdly, she recently lost her mother to cancer. That's something I also went through.

Trouble is, we don't know if she is still grieving. The OP does not say how long ago the death of her mother was.

But if it was recently - even a decade - I think you have a good point. And there's never anything wrong with emotional support. Well, unless it supports a sin. But I don't think that would be the case here.

I think your heart is in the right place. But your advice is wrong. Markme2 should just offer the woman emotional support. Grief and Theology don't mix.

Thank you for the sentiment. And you are right. Emotional support is the way to go if she is grieving.

-------------

Nevertheless, OP, she does have the right to know the Catholic faith is very scriptural, and the guilt given to her is not God's desire for her. Now may not be the right time, if she is still grieving.

But if you think she is capable of being shown some of the things the Catholic Church really believes, ask her if she'd like to see what Scripture the Church does teach. If she says "no", respect that. But be there for her, even if she never wants to hear anything about the Church again.

And feel free to invite her to Mass. Mass is so very, very, very Scriptural. Heck! We read it at every Mass! But again, respect her right to choose to say "yes", or "no". The Man Himself gives us as much respect. We ought to reflect that.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Another fact of which you have stated ChesterKhan.

Sooo many people out there of whom are non-Catholics have no idea about this fact!

There are groups listed on all Parish sheets and within Catholic news bulletins throughout Jesus/God's Catholic Church of which Catholics, professionally qualified Catholics, Staff members and Parishioners donate their time assisting all others, many of whom, have experienced the same issues, including of course bereavement.

In all honesty, a person would find it difficult to receive the wide range of quality assistance available through the Catholic Church and its organisations world wide.

His friend has the right to know God in His Fullness. And since you mention grief, any number of ways to cling closer to the heart of Jesus can be helpful. Devotions, prayers, saints who went through similar things. There are a thousand beds and pillows upon which to rest your head in the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another fact of which you have stated ChesterKhan.

Sooo many people out there of whom are non-Catholics have no idea about this fact!

There are groups listed on all Parish sheets and within Catholic news bulletins throughout Jesus/God's Catholic Church of which Catholics, professionally qualified Catholics, Staff members and Parishioners donate their time assisting all others, many of whom, have experienced the same issues, including of course bereavement.

In all honesty, a person would find it difficult to receive the wide range of quality assistance available through the Catholic Church and its organisations world wide.

I have a heart-shaped pillow. It's the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Resting-on-Heart-of-Christ.jpg

"One of his disciples, whom Jesus loved, was lying close to the breast of Jesus..." John 13:23

God love you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums