• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Heart Attack at 24?

WiredSpirit

and all God's people said... meh
Jul 5, 2004
Evansville
✟2,698.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I had some chest pains Thursday night that went away, so I initially ignored them, then Friday at work I had them pretty severe and they sent me to the ER.

When I got here they suspected pericarditis as the EKG suggested. The chest xray and sonogram looked normal. When they gave me an anti-inflamatory shot I felt instantly better in a matter of seconds. However, the doctor came in this morning and said some enzymes were elevated in my blood which indicates a heart attack. He's scheduled me for a nuke test tomorrow and heart cath Monday, or immediately if I have any more chest pain.

I tend to believe the doctor from the ER Friday. I think if there was any heart damage it was caused by the pericarditis. I don't think they'll find any blockage.

Anyways, this is my first hospital stay and I'm looking for some tips like how long recovery would take, what kind of restrictions they might try to put me on, etc. So long as I'm taking the anti-inflammatory meds I feel like I could do anything. When they didn't give them to me for awhile I got a little bit of pain when I laid on my side, but it went away with more of the meds. They say my white blood cells were high in the ER so this could be all some sort of infection as far as I know.

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well the doctor says by definition I had a heart attack but what caused it is not known. They did the heart cath today and didn't find any blockage.

Glad to hear about the blockage, are you still in the hospital? I do hope they can find the cause.

Upvote 0

WiredSpirit

and all God's people said... meh
Jul 5, 2004
Evansville
✟2,698.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Glad to hear about the blockage, are you still in the hospital? I do hope they can find the cause.

Yeah, I was in four days. Its been a month now and no problems. Doctor said it was probably inflammation in or around my heart.

Upvote 0

Why9999

Jan 8, 2010
Desert SW - USA
✟15,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had some chest pains Thursday night that went away, so I initially ignored them, then Friday at work I had them pretty severe and they sent me to the ER.

When I got here they suspected pericarditis as the EKG suggested. The chest xray and sonogram looked normal. When they gave me an anti-inflamatory shot I felt instantly better in a matter of seconds. However, the doctor came in this morning and said some enzymes were elevated in my blood which indicates a heart attack. He's scheduled me for a nuke test tomorrow and heart cath Monday, or immediately if I have any more chest pain.

I tend to believe the doctor from the ER Friday. I think if there was any heart damage it was caused by the pericarditis. I don't think they'll find any blockage.

Anyways, this is my first hospital stay and I'm looking for some tips like how long recovery would take, what kind of restrictions they might try to put me on, etc. So long as I'm taking the anti-inflammatory meds I feel like I could do anything. When they didn't give them to me for awhile I got a little bit of pain when I laid on my side, but it went away with more of the meds. They say my white blood cells were high in the ER so this could be all some sort of infection as far as I know.

I highly recommend that you read Dr. Dean Ornish's books. He is a very well respected researcher that advocates low fat diet that has done the near miraculous for heart patients. Just look up Ornish Diet on the web. Of course, do what your doctor tells you, but remember that statins and other heart drugs have tons of side effects, including muscle damage, erectile dysfunction, etc. Ornish's plan actually reverse arteriosclerosis with no drugs or pills.

Upvote 0

Franklin777

Nov 1, 2010
LA
Visit site
✟15,122.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't make recommmendations about when it is ok to exercise over the internet. That is a clinical decision and would require some face to face time and seeing all your test results. In almost all cases, returning to excercise is not a problem but you may need to exercise less intensely. Having a heart attack at your age is a very rare event -- very rare event. We only see people your age having heart attacks a few times per year and we are busy major referral center. It is more commone when people have used cocaine or some other stimulant. It is also more common in people with out of control lipids (LDL very high like 300 or higher) or strong family history.

If your doctor said you had a heart attack based on cardiac enzymes, Troponin and CKMB, then you have to believe him until proven otherwise. The troponin value is elevated but does not appear to be very high -- it all depends on timing. the good news is that your heart function is very well preserved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 1, 2011
✟7,614.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
for the younger people, i think it is alarming how heart attacks can happen to the younger generation these days. it goes to show how unhealthy our lifestyle is-- lack of exercise, poor diet, and sedentary way of life. this is why even if i'm in my 30s i'm already taking supplements to protect my heart. i am on omega 3 fish oil capsules because according to the AHA it controls triglycerides to prevent strokes and heart attacks.

i hope you're okay now. take care of your heart and change your lifestyle okay? all the best! -kathie

Upvote 0

cslrwilliams

Jul 5, 2007
Au Sable Forks, NY
✟8,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I went in to the ER this past Wed.--thinking nothing more than heartburn. EKG was normal--but enzymes were elevated. Transported to a Knoxville hospital by ambulance---& later--through a heart cath---found out I had a minor heart attack & 1 artery was 100% blocked!!! Wow!! Talk about a surprise. Now I have a stent in place-& am on 5 different meds at 43 years old & very active. Heart disease runs in my family--so I think genetics had a big part in it. I am off work till the 13th-& have to work back into activity slowly. I'll be allowed to drive again by Thursday.
The biggest thing is that I will have to change my diet & pace myself better. Restrictions for you will depend on what's going on with your heart & whether or not there is any damage. Just take it easy--as I have to do---& follow dr recommendations. It's hard--but you only have 1 heart. May God bless you with a speedy recovery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums