Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,078,818.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My brother in laws 70 year old dad decided to buy a pistol and took it out to practice. The thing he did not bring along with him was his hearing protection. Now he has hearing loss that requires him to wear hearing aids and answer everyone who talks to him with, "huh?"

I would be very careful shooting guns and make sure you are protecting your delicate ears while playing with those things. You may do more harm to yourself than what you might have lost in a break in!

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was young and dumb and was hit and miss with wearing hearing protection in my teens and twenties. I now have tinnitus (constant ringing in my ears) and some lower frequency hearing loss. I am extremely careful now with wearing hearing protection.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was young and dumb and was hit and miss with wearing hearing protection in my teens and twenties. I now have tinnitus (constant ringing in my ears) and some lower frequency hearing loss. I am extremely careful now with wearing hearing protection.
Me too.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Me three!

Our club also has loaner ear muffs an safety glasses hanging in the range, and it is a mandatory rule that they must be worn. Period.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,078,818.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am a Lab Technician at a large factory. One contract session about a decade ago I ran upon an old friend named Roger whom I have not seen for a while. I said Roger, hows it going? He said that he came down with Meniere's Disease, they took his drivers license (his wife drove him there), and he is on his way to disability. From the conversation I suspect loud noise was also a factor. I would definitely consider hearing protection when in noisy environments.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: ChavaK
Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, definitely. I didn't wear ear protection on my first day working at a local range, and was standing right next to someone firing a shotgun. Thankfully, there's been no major complications with my hearing, but sometimes I do experience Tinnitus and ask people to repeat themselves.

The cheap, foam earplugs (usually carried by most ranges and gun clubs) work well for me. There are also more-expensive, electronic earplugs which allow for natural hearing up to a certain level of decibels, but automatically protect against loud noise from gunfire, vehicles, etc. I believe some also allow you to amplify non-harmful sound for improved distance detection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟43,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When did people start wearing any kind of ear protection? Just wondered how many people over the centuries (since guns and cannons were invented) have damaged their ears hunting or in warfare etc? Horrible. Just wondered when people started realising they needed hearing protection.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I shot extensively as a young man without hearing protection and my hearing suffered because of it. I was told that there are hair cells in the ear that bend like stalks of grain from sound. If the sound is too severe the hair cells fracture and eventually lose their resilience = hearing loss. I now wear hearing aids and always use hearing protection when shooting, even when hunting.

I am also concerned that people that listen to very loud music are damaging their hearing, but that's for discussion elsewhere.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I always wear hearing protection, even if it's only a .22...I'm hoping they'll pass one of the suppressor bills that are in the works as we speak.

People have an irrational fear of suppressors based on what they've seen in the movies. As a result, that seems to be the one things that we're actually stricter on than many Euro nations.

• Agree
Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0