Head Lice Experience

janaw

Mar 15, 2007
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have had such an ordeal with head lice! I feel obligated to share our experience using pesticides to treat head lice.

It began when I discovered head lice on our 7 year old son. We began treating right away with over the counter kits. RID was the first one we used. We did the follow up treatment 7 days later and thought we had it taken care of. Before we knew it lice had spread to the rest of the family. We tried more OTC treatments - NIX, Pronto Plus, more RID. It all failed. After about a month of struggling we turned to our Pediatrician for help who gave us a prescription for Ovide, which is a 5% Malathion lotion. I desperately wanted a solution to this problem and I have to admit it would have taken a lot to make me not use this product. After all, everything I had read about it stated how effective it was and how safe. Both of those claims turned out to be totally false in our case.

After picking up the Ovide from the pharmacy I read and reread the package insert. I knew this was strong stuff and wanted to follow the directions carefully. I proceeded with caution applying it first to my husband, then to my two children and finally, to myself. Shortly thereafter I began to have a headache and slight stomach upset. I also experienced a slightly bloody nose. I did not know I was in danger at this point. As instructed, we all went to bed with the malathion on our hair. I awoke a few times with an upset stomach which was getting worse. I still did not know I was in danger. When I began trembling I woke my husband who helped me immediately wash the poison off. I then began having vommiting and diarrhea. The trembling turned into muscle spasms/twitches. My husband called poison control who advised us the malathion would work its way out of my system in 24 hours and to drink lots of water and gatorade. We did that through the night. The next day I began having very big and uncontrolled flailing arms and legs, chest pain, shortness of breath, tight throat (it looked like a seizure). My husband called 911 and I was rushed to the emergency room. I was given anti-seizure drugs and Ibuterol to open my lungs. I was diagnosed with acute organic phosphate poisoning (malathion poisoning).

In addition to becoming toxic, the malathion did not kill the lice! I was very ill and continued to have episodes of muscle spasms, shortness of breath, and chest pain mulitple times a day for several months. I had to have help come in to take care of my children. This was not a minor incident and the reason I am writing about it is to warn you. To this day, I still can not beleive I put that stuff on my children's heads. I am eternally grateful that it was I who got sick and not my children or my husband. Because I applied the malathion to the others I was the most exposed and absorbed the greatest amount of poison. Please keep in mind that it did not kill the lice.

I truly understand the frustration of dealing with head lice. You want it dead and you want it dead NOW! The problem is that there is no way of knowing ahead of time if you or your child will be sensitive or become toxic from the pesticides.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I sincerely hope it helps you make more informed decisions about head lice treatments.
Sincerely,
Jana

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
just like all other health issues, if you look, you will find --
here's a cluster of letters from moms
that found natural nontoxic
help for head lice (like head lice need help! haha)
>>
http://www.homemakingcottage.com/health/lice.html

(sort of like 'less money' = 'less toxic' OR
the other way around 'more toxic' = 'more money')

Upvote 0

Mickey1953

Senior Veteran
Sep 14, 2006
✟20,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
just like all other health issues, if you look, you will find --
here's a cluster of letters from moms
that found natural nontoxic
help for head lice (like head lice need help! haha)
>>
http://www.homemakingcottage.com/health/lice.html

(sort of like 'less money' = 'less toxic' OR
the other way around 'more toxic' = 'more money')

Great advice. I work at a school and head lice does make it rounds.... my symphony to janaw....

Years ago, when my 29 year old was a sophmore in school.... we were having difficult times.....my beautiful daughter got head lice.... lots!!!!! Besides the cleanup, we had to sit together, and she had to let me comb her long, long, hair...
we had to be close....the head lice was not fun, but it was a blessing in disguise.
God bless and thanks for the site on The Homemaking Cottage Headlice advice....I will share it with our school...
Mickey

Upvote 0

encouraging loves animals

formerly known as encouragng_angels
May 31, 2004
South East Victoria
Visit site
✟49,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
To prevent headlice-Plate hair tightly-and spray with hairspray.

My mum uses this technique-My sister never had headlice.

She also washes my sister hair with Tea-Tree Oil.
Headlice apparent don't like Tea Tree Oil

Upvote 0

cheryljones

Apr 2, 2007
✟7,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An easy way to keep lice off is to use some hair spray at times...it keeps the lice from sticking to the hair shafts...quick and easy. Maybe you can find a health food variety of hair spray that is healthier. I learned this from when there were lice going around the school and since then, no problem.

Upvote 0

VioletLady

Keep what ya got...by giving it all away
Jan 4, 2007
London
✟10,340.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
An easy way to keep lice off is to use some hair spray at times...it keeps the lice from sticking to the hair shafts...quick and easy. Maybe you can find a health food variety of hair spray that is healthier. I learned this from when there were lice going around the school and since then, no problem.
Aha! I'll try that for my daughter.

xxxxxxx

Upvote 0

LoraWilliams

Apr 19, 2016
USA
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Millions of children get lice every year. To get rid of lice and nits without using pesticide or any chemicals that could harm you and your child you just need to apply these natural home remedies to get rid of lice and nits:
Cooking oils - either almond oil, olive oil or coconut oil will do. The oil will act as a natural repellent, capturing the lice and disabling their movement, plus it is completely safe.
Garlic and Lime or Lemon Extract - The overpowering smell of garlic will suffocate the lice, and the acidity of the lime will kill them.
Hair Dryer - Heat is a simple method of killing lice. One hair drying session a day right after a fresh shower can kill over 90% of nits and up to 50% of lice.
Hair Jelly - hair gel or petroleum jelly can also kill lice by immobilizing and suffocating them. There is also a study claiming that this is the best home remedy for killing lice and nits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums