Discussion Have you no pride? Pride as a virtue and as unclean.

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟255,099.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Pride is up there with justice and honour with so many people, it is pivotal. According to psychologists there is a healthy balance of self esteem. Pride can be extreme. It can be based on something untrue or exaggerated. A basis for self deception. Satan was proud and in Hebrew this extreme pride is called Chutzpah.

The Hebrews carefully allowed some Hellenism and Socrates considered pride as a virtue. You can ask a sinner, have you no pride? I ask myself questions with some pride and it helps me motivate myself to overcome sins, by pressing into the Spirit's power and self discipline with self judgments. "Judge yourself before God judges you." And before others do as well.

In Luke's Gospel, pride is unclean, I suppose this means Satan's pride. A basis for fights and thefts, jealousy, self pity.

Theology and Socrates, Greek philosophy is much used. So think, I'll use pride freely.

• Agree
Reactions: OldAbramBrown

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like that our boast should be in the Lord. There is nothing to brag about or be proud about. I have found that being humble is the best way to go. Just put yourself at the back of the line, back of the church, and back of the congratulations. First off, that is probably where I belong. After 52 years of walking behind the Lord I have learned there is not much in me (outside of His spirit) that is laud-worthy. He is everything. I desperately want to be His friend. I know He is already a friend to me. My best friend in this life and the next... for all eternity. My heart cries with I think of His love for me, while I, in myself, am so unworthy. I am tearing up as I write these words. He said that I am His friend if I do His commandments. Lord help me do your commandments. Help me Lord. :sob:

Upvote 0