St. Louis, MO.
✟378,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Linda Ronstadt turned 77 yesterday. One of my favorite singers. 10 years ago, she was misdiagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Which is not a diagnostic failing. She actually has Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. The early symptoms of PSP are very similar to Parkinson's. But PSP is worse. It affects balance, locomotion, eye movement, and speech. It usually progresses more rapidly than Parkinson's and it doesn't respond to medication. The fact that she's lived with it for 10 years is pretty remarkable. But it's still terribly tragic that this disease has robbed her of her voice. Linda was such a versatile performer. She could sing most anything--rock, country, standard ballads, movie songs, and even light opera. A few of my favorites:

In the 80s, she was cast in Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance. Even though her natural voice is a mezzo soprano, she nails those high soprano notes:

Linda released an album of Disney songs in the mid 90s. This is her version of the big song from Pinocchio. She owns it.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love Linda. The Eagles and Little Feat both owe a debt to her.

This is my favorite live shot. Check out Skunk Baxter (Steely Dan/Doobies) on the bongos (whatever they're called). The backup singers are the best. But Linda wails on this! Love her!

I have to give a heads up to Little Feat for no related reason except they backed her up.

Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0