Good Bible translation in simple English (for people with cognitive impairment)?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,974.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As the topic asks. One of the local nursing homes has given me feedback that our usual Scripture translation (NRSV) tends to be hard to understand for folks with dementia, and has suggested something simpler/less abstract would be helpful.

Any suggestions as to a good translation for that kind of purpose?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟623,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟156,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
New Heart English Bible the standard version is good and it’s copy-write free. download the files also many different translations of Hebrew Greek Tanakh and others, or order 35$ I think.

New Heart English Bible

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
As the topic asks. One of the local nursing homes has given me feedback that our usual Scripture translation (NRSV) tends to be hard to understand for folks with dementia, and has suggested something simpler/less abstract would be helpful.

I'd suggest an audio bible, they can test out different versions to see what jives with their unique brain wave patterns.

Focussing on a page might be too difficult for some mental impairments.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,974.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd suggest an audio bible, they can test out different versions to see what jives with their unique brain wave patterns.

Focussing on a page might be too difficult for some mental impairments.

My assumption is that the passage is going to be read to them; they won't be looking at a page.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Oh I remember that @Paidiske ; I knew I had worked with one of these. It is in the public domain, and you can read it here: The Holy Bible - Bible in Basic English

Thank you @kiwimac for jostling my memory, because this thread was killing me.

Oh, in the unlikely event that a joke was appropriate @Paidiske , you could start by reading the Etheridge translation of the East Syriac Peshitta, which as you can see here is one of the hardest English language Bibles to understand, because Mr. Etheridge translated it using the second person pronoun of the KJV and so on, and then also made a point to not translate as many diatimctive Syriac phrases or words as he could get away with. It’s not as bad as the original 16th century Douai-Rheims, which is arguably just the Vulgate but with a nominally English syntactic structure (unlike the Challoner Douai Rheims, which is a proper translation of the Vulgate). Then you say, “Whoops, that’s the wrong Bible, that’s a translation of the ancient Aramaic translation from Hawaii,” because Etheridge translated ALH with a mix of Eastern and Western vowells, so the word for God is Aloha. This was probably a mistake; the East Syriac pronunciation Alaha is probably correct, but you know, stupid joke. :liturgy:

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh I remember that @Paidiske ; I knew I had worked with one of these. It is in the public domain, and you can read it here: The Holy Bible - Bible in Basic English

Thank you @kiwimac for jostling my memory, because this thread was killing me.

Oh, in the unlikely event that a joke was appropriate @Paidiske , you could start by reading the Etheridge translation of the East Syriac Peshitta, which as you can see here is one of the hardest English language Bibles to understand, because Mr. Etheridge translated it using the second person pronoun of the KJV and so on, and then also made a point to not translate as many diatimctive Syriac phrases or words as he could get away with. It’s not as bad as the original 16th century Douai-Rheims, which is arguably just the Vulgate but with a nominally English syntactic structure (unlike the Challoner Douai Rheims, which is a proper translation of the Vulgate). Then you say, “Whoops, that’s the wrong Bible, that’s a translation of the ancient Aramaic translation from Hawaii,” because Etheridge translated ALH with a mix of Eastern and Western vowells, so the word for God is Aloha. This was probably a mistake; the East Syriac pronunciation Alaha is probably correct, but you know, stupid joke. :liturgy:

I don't think I will ever understand why God allowed the original King James to be translated into Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic in the first place. Using those languages just gets in the way of me believing whatever it is I want to believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟889,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have not tried it but I think the NIrV (NIV readers version) was designed to be a simplified version of the NIV for children, non-native speakers, etc.

New International Reader's Version - Wikipedia

In theory they tried to retain the Dynamic Equivalent approach of the NIV, rather than a paraphrase, but just simplified the English. So it might strike a good balance.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟421,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
NLT or the Message. You can google bible translation reading level and see how each translation compares. I think it is based both on the complexity of grammar (like many subordinate clauses is hard to follow and thus a higher reading level) and vocabulary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums