Massachusetts
✟590,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"God resists the proud," we have in James 4:6 and also in 1 Peter 5:5.

One thing I get out of this is that we have God effectively resisting all the evil people. So, even while it can seem like wrong people are doing as they please . . . no . . . God is keeping them in their place; Satan is not stopping God from doing whatsoever He is committed to doing! :)

What have you gained from this scripture?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟127,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I would not be too quick to equate proud with evil.
We as believers cannot become prideful and expect
to continue experiencing the presence of God in a
deeply personal way. He comes to meet those who
humble themselves before Him.
Psalms 138:6 Though the Lord is on high,
Yet He regards the lowly;
But the proud He knows from afar.

James 4:
But He gives more grace.
Therefore He says:
God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.
7 Therefore submit to God.

Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God and He will
draw near to you.

Cleanse your hands, you sinners;
and purify your hearts,
you double-minded.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

def

Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"God resists the proud," we have in James 4:6 and also in 1 Peter 5:5.

One thing I get out of this is that we have God effectively resisting all the evil people. So, even while it can seem like wrong people are doing as they please . . . no . . . God is keeping them in their place; Satan is not stopping God from doing whatsoever He is committed to doing! :)

These verses apply to Christians - God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Christians need to find grace to help in times of need (Hebrews 4:16). Christians would not find grace if they are proud.

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟590,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These verses apply to Christians
Only to Christians, def? . . . or do you think God also resists the proud who are not children of God?

I have understood, that in the evil world God has control so evil people do not do as much harm as they could and would; and so God's resistance is caring, since He is slowing people down and interfering with them so they do not hurt themselves and others more than they do. They would get in much more trouble, if God were not resisting them . . . keeping the lid on things, maybe you could say.

So . . . though . . . what do you think? And could either of us provide scriptures? :)

I think, to start off, that James 4:6 and also 1 Peter 5:5 mean God resists the proud who are in Satan's kingdom but also He resists us children of God whenever we get into pride stuff.

But we in Jesus can benefit more from God's resistance, than sinners can, because when we get resisted, we see how we are getting upset and downcast about not getting our way, but we have experienced how we can be in God's peace; so we can know something is wrong, when we start getting nasty and negative; we know we are missing out on how we could be in this peace . . . and I get homesick, to speak for myself.

So then we can admit we have not been submitting to God and we can offer ourselves to Him for correction. And then He restores us into sharing with Him in His peace, and we discover however our Father then pleases to guide us with Him . . . in His peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

But when resistance deals with a worldly person, he or she can go on and on lying and crying and denying.

So, you are welcome to share what you think, and with any scripture you have to share. God bless you, too, and thank you :)

Upvote 0

Eye4Eye26

Romans 8:28
Aug 20, 2013
Bethlehem Pennsylvania
✟17,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Humility is so important to live by in our lives because it keeps selfishness at bay so that we wholeheartedly choose to follow God instead of our selfish desires.

Upvote 0