Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey all. I was wondering if your particular churches did anything like school giveaways or any other kind of giveaways? Ours started doing giveaways about a year ago, when our new pastor came in, and some people around here weren't too fond of that, because we gave without question. That, and all the people who liked to pretend they were poor to avoid tithing that extra bit or whatever, had to come face-to-face with actual people who were poor enough to be begging for a hot-dog since they hadn't eaten since 3 days earlier.

Anyway, I'm glad we've started these, and I just wanted to see how far behind/ahead of other congregations we are, as far as how long we've been doing them.

Plus, this might provide for some opportunity to share a truly wonderful outreach story or two or 50... :)

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟29,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
St. Paul doesn't do giveaways. However, for the longest time, we've had an Oak Park Food Pantry and all the churches in the area give food to that. School supplies go to the Women's Shelter. They collect certain things on a monthly basis and then they are given to the appropriate agency.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

Music4Hym777

Daughter of Christ
Apr 27, 2004
Arizona
✟10,229.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
My church at school gives away "Whataburger" coupons instead of cash. I dont know who supplies the coupons, but I know that sometimes the starving Lutheran college students raid them (with the pastors permission, of course).

My church at home has all sorts of food pantries and stuff around here as well as we have food on hand if someone comes to the church office.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
AngelusSax said:
Hey all. I was wondering if your particular churches did anything like school giveaways or any other kind of giveaways? Ours started doing giveaways about a year ago, when our new pastor came in, and some people around here weren't too fond of that, because we gave without question. That, and all the people who liked to pretend they were poor to avoid tithing that extra bit or whatever, had to come face-to-face with actual people who were poor enough to be begging for a hot-dog since they hadn't eaten since 3 days earlier.

Anyway, I'm glad we've started these, and I just wanted to see how far behind/ahead of other congregations we are, as far as how long we've been doing them.

Plus, this might provide for some opportunity to share a truly wonderful outreach story or two or 50...
I would be surprised if any church didn't.

We work with a number of organizations that feed, clothe and house the poor, locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. We also offer direct help to those who come to our door. I even had to take advantage of the services once a little over a year ago. They very literally kept my family and I from becoming homeless.

There have been a couple of times when the hungry have shown up at our social hall doors during fellowship meals. They are always invited in to share in the meal. How long has this church been doing this? I am not sure. At least as long as I have been a member; five years or more.

There is so much more that we could be doing. One thing specifically I would like to see is an outreach to spouses and children of prisoners.

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is so much more that we could be doing. One thing specifically I would like to see is an outreach to spouses and children of prisoners.

we do that...several of our members work with "Kyros"...we collect food for the local food bank and voluteer at the local AIDS hospice...

Upvote 0

ottaia

Blue Dragon Rider
Jun 14, 2005
Michigan
✟2,442.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We have a food pantry but we also do something called Neighborhood Kids' Night. We have been doing it for 35 years now. Since we are a middle-class congregation in a lower-class neighborhood, we thought this might be a good way to minister to the community. The main objective of the progam is to get the kids "face time" with an adult through games and crafts. We also supply supper. After supper we have time for a Bible story, songs, or maybe a video. It is very low key but has been quite successful in making a persence in the neighborhood and has helped keep vandalism low.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.