Status
Not open for further replies.

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Most states don't recognize gay marriage -- but now Hallmark does.

The nation's largest greeting card company is rolling out same-sex wedding cards -- featuring two tuxedos, overlapping hearts or intertwined flowers, with best wishes inside. "Two hearts. One promise," one says.
39.jpg

"It's our goal to be as relevant as possible to as many people as we can," Hallmark spokeswoman Sarah Gronberg Kolell said.
Hallmark started offering "coming out" cards last year, and the four designs of same-sex marriage cards are being gradually released this summer and will be widely available by next year. No sales figures were available yet.

source

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not everyone does things for the profit it brings. What goes around comes around. Same-gender "unions" is nothing new.

Genesis 14

The king of Sodom (King Bera) said to Abram, "Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself."

But Abram said to the king of Sodom (King Bera), "I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, 'I made Abram rich.'

I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share."

How is this new topic appropriate for a Christian website?

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Not everyone does things for the profit it brings. What goes around comes around. Same-gender "unions" is nothing new.
Legal marriages between homosexuals are pretty new, and their recognition by one of the country's largest greeting card manufacturers is very new. As I see it, it's an affirmation of an impending change in our society

How is this new topic appropriate for a Christian website?
Well, let's see.

1. Wedding cards for gay marriages are something new.

2. Why are they new? Because gay marriages are coming into mainstream American life.

3. Why are they coming into mainstream American life? Because Americans are beginning to give up their notions that homosexuality is verboten. (legalizing their marriages is a huge sign)

4. So the message---gay marriage wishes from a leading card source--- is that this change in attitude has reached a new level. One of greater acceptability. One that coporate America isn't afraid to embrace.

So what does this acceptability have to do with this Christian website?
Well, let's see:

1. The web site ChristianForums.com has decided that homosexuality is an important topic. In fact, they have devoted a whole sub-forum--- this one-- to debating just homosexual issues. Please note its title: "Debates on Homosexuality." This suggest to me that issues dealing with homosexuality and the way it is viewed and treated are valid subjects for debate.

2. Does the greater acceptability of homosexuality among Americans constitute a valid subject for discussion--the goal of the forum? I certainly think so.

3. Therefore, I believe any sign that the acceptance of homosexuality is either growing or declining is worth discussing.

Of course you're under no obligation to discuss it or even agree. But I do note that despite your question as to its suitability on this forum, you have seen fit to respond directly to the news with quoted material.

So, in answer to your question, I would say its appropriateness was established by the administration here who decided to offer a forum where subjects such as changes in our social perception of homosexuality could be discussed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
C

catlover

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Most states don't recognize gay marriage -- but now Hallmark does.

The nation's largest greeting card company is rolling out same-sex wedding cards -- featuring two tuxedos, overlapping hearts or intertwined flowers, with best wishes inside. "Two hearts. One promise," one says.
39.jpg

"It's our goal to be as relevant as possible to as many people as we can," Hallmark spokeswoman Sarah Gronberg Kolell said.
Hallmark started offering "coming out" cards last year, and the four designs of same-sex marriage cards are being gradually released this summer and will be widely available by next year. No sales figures were available yet.

source

Good now when I go to a gay wedding I will have an appropriate card for the occasion!

Upvote 0

Lino

God, protect me on my way
Aug 16, 2008
✟15,206.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I can't see what's bad about this. Though God is clear about what He means about homosexuality, there will still be people who either don't care about God's words or who decides to do it anyway. No matter what reason they have: we are not to judge!

While there are and most likely always will be, people in commited relaitonships with someone their own gender, they deserve the same legal rights as I do in my commited relationship (my marriage).

My marriage isn't worth less because they can get married too, it's not more likely I will get divorced because they can get divorced and so on.

Reactions: gwdboi
Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

I think we need to be careful if the cards dont say marriage or wedding even if they suggest it and the gay lesbian lobbies claim it.

On the other hand society has decided homosexual unions are ok and paedophillia isnt, a few decades ago both were considered grossly wrong. The Biblical teaching excludes both. I think we have to recognise society changes. I think also for Christians if we look at the story of Sodom we see many things that are happening in society, the lesson is not to expect society will necessarily change for the better, but to remain close to God. The more sacrifically loving and holy the church is the more it will impact society for the better.

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think we need to be careful if the cards dont say marriage or wedding even if they suggest it and the gay lesbian lobbies claim it.

On the other hand society has decided homosexual unions are ok and paedophillia isnt, a few decades ago both were considered grossly wrong. The Biblical teaching excludes both. I think we have to recognise society changes. I think also for Christians if we look at the story of Sodom we see many things that are happening in society, the lesson is not to expect society will necessarily change for the better, but to remain close to God. The more sacrifically loving and holy the church is the more it will impact society for the better.

Ive lost count of how many times I've said this but the reason society has realized homosexuality is o.k and peadophilia isn't is because homosexual sex is CONSENSUAL and sex with children isn't. Quite simple really. Homosexual sex harms none if its consensual much the same as hetrosexual sex. Pedophilia always harms.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Halohope,
Yes I know but this is a Christian forum so worldy thinking is either in line with God's purposes according to His Biblical testimony or not. You are repeating the worldly view, I am repeating God's position. Both homosexual practice and paedophilia are error according to the Bible. Of course the Bible says God created woman for man and all other sins harm others whereas sexual immorality harms and defiles the person who does it. (1 Corinthians 6)
I think some people forget this a an essentially Christian forum not an essentially gay and lesbian one.

Reactions: marksman315
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Very nice greeting cards. :)

To Halohope,
Yes I know but this is a Christian forum so worldy thinking is either in line with God's purposes according to His Biblical testimony or not. You are repeating the worldly view, I am repeating God's position.
Not exactly... you're stating your belief about God's position. It may be correct, but it may be wrong. :)

Upvote 0
C

catlover

Who are you to tell Hallmark what to put on their gay marriage cards?

Honestly-

Upvote 0
E

ElviraRio

Who are you to tell Hallmark what to put on their gay marriage cards?

Honestly-
If I worked for Hallmark I would love to write gay marriage/gay issue greeting cards. I’d put a pic of a sweaty wrestler on the cover, scantily clad, looking forlorn. Then on the inside it would say “I hear you’re wrestling with your sexuality. Good luck with that”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

ElviraRio

I don't wrestle with my sexuality. The only thing I wrestle with is the deep-rooted malice of people like you. In another post somewhere, you've said "There is no such thing as homophobia". Take a look in a mirror sometime.
What I said was it's a myth and it is.

I didn't realize that being homosexual also meant not having a sense of humor. If I can laugh at drunken Irish jokes why can't you laugh at homosexual jokes?

Upvote 0
E

ElviraRio

Well, for one thing, Irish drunks, as with all drunks, choose to be drunk (I do acknowledge the problem of alcoholism as an addiction, but that is rarely germane to these jokes). Homosexuals don't choose to be homosexuals, just like left handedness isn't a choice. Do you also laugh at cripples and the mentally retarded? (You can spare us the "homosexuality is a choice" nonsense.)
No I wouldn't make jokes about the mentally retarded, silly, but I was under the impression that gays wanted to be thought of as a race of people or some sort of lineage. Not as someone w/ a handicap. Are we to think of the homosexual community as handicapped & mentally retarded?

On the one hand we have homosexuals who say they just want to be treated like everyone else, on the other they get their panties in a wad when they are treated that way.

I laugh at dumb blonde jokes even tho it's a stereotype and I happen to be blonde. I don't get all bent out of shape. I think some people just want to have their cake and eat it to for the love of pity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
E

ElviraRio

Umm you are the one that equated it to race.

Also you didn't answer the question if you would make fun of them
no because I wouldn't wanna get my ass kicked. But I laugh at them when they make fun of themselves. Also, they've suffered in recent years quite a bit more than the homosexuals have, what with being enslaved by white people and all. Homosexuals don't have that plight. They can fit into the Irish/Pollack/dumb blonde category.

and if you wanna see some funny black humor, whach Dave Chappelle.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.