Gamesmanship in tennis - and other sports

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟117,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In a Wimbledon women's tennis singles match between Krejcikova and Watson today, Krejcikova called for a medical timeout just as Watson was serving to stay in the match. Now, if there is bleeding that has to be dealt with - especially on a hard court. But there was no apparent issue and no noticeable change after some strapping was applied to her ankle. In football it used to be the case that a player had to leave the field to receive treatment while play continued. So play continued but the team was handicapped by the loss of a player. When the hawkeye system is in use in tennis players can challlenge a call just to disrupt their opponent or give themselves a breather. I'd include a rule that if the ball is more than 6 inches in or out, the call challenger loses the next point as well.

I would much rather not have appeals to hawkeye. You just have to accept the line judge's decision which are very accurate now - far more accurate than players.
Also, if you call a medical timeout you lose the next game. I just feel these changes are being exploited for gamesmanship. My experence of playing sport is that having your flow disturbed can make a big difference.