Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Once, when I was about 10, I decided I was going to try to make a cake. I didn't have a recipe, or even all the ingredients, but it didn't matter. I just threw everything I had into a bowl, mixed it up, poured into a pan, and baked it. Well, needless to say, it did NOT turn out. It was about an eighth of an inch thick, a weird tan color, and it was SHINY. No kidding. Tasted okay, though. :)

Anyone else have any amusing cooking stories/disasters to share? I don't have to do much cooking (thank God...I mean....ummm.....bummer;)), but I'd really like to hear about some of your experiences in the kitchen.

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What a great idea for a thread! :D

My first meatloaf as a bride, oh MY.

I had some leftover stew, and I thought I could chop up the veggies and use the potatoes from the stew as the binder of the meatloaf. I mixed the whole mess with ground beef, and baked it.

It fell apart, and tasted like stew.

These days, when I make meatloaf, my family stands around the oven and whines until it is done, and every single crumb is snarfed up. I guess I improved over the years? LOL!

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
A few years ago I got annoyed with my mom around the time of my birthday because she made this huge deal about having a cake for my sister's birthday (in January) and wasn't making one for mine. So I made my own. It was this 2-layer deal...except the bottom layer got stuck in the pan so it started to fall apart, even when I tried to glue it together with icing. LOL. But, it didn't taste too bad. ;)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Angel:

What you made is what my mother called "a flop cake." She used to say that flop cakes were the best, BECAUSE you try to fix it with icing. You've got great gobs of icing trying to glue the cake back together!

After you cut the cake, what does it look like anyway?

Thanks for helping me remember something about my mom that I had long forgotten.

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Blynn

Jan 15, 2002
✟22,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
When I was 11 my mom let me cook for the first time.

I was so excited. The dinner I had planned was frozen fish sticks, french fries and corn. When I went to put my frozen stuff in the oven the oven door came off the hinges :( Why or how it happened I don't know, but my mom was so mad at me. We laugh about it now, but at the time it wasn't too funny and I didn't get to cook for a long time after that.

Upvote 0

AnnMercy2

Goofball
Aug 18, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
✟4,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My cooking skills are enough to keep me alive. I hope when I find my lifemate he knows and likes to cook cause I'm just no good in the kitchen. Ya'll don't even want to know about the time I tried to cook biscuits and gravy. Let's just say the dog wouldn't even eat it :D

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,785,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was making sweet and sour chicken for myself and new husband. I wanted to make the sauce bright red like they have it in Chinese restaurants. So I added a couple drops of red food coloring. The sauce looked really pretty! I stirred in the chicken and veggies and let them simmer. When I took the lid off a few minutes later I saw that my chunks of chicken had turned a lovely PeptoBismol pink! It tasted just fine, but DH did not want to eat it. I was kind of mad at him then, but now it's funny.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟42,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear... the first time I tried to make gravy I forgot all about that hot water in a closed vessel thing.... well, you an guess what my kitchen looked like .... POW!!!!

The first time I tried to make a cake for my sister's birthday, something went very wrong, and I ended up with no sugar nor baking powder in it. Well that darned thing was as flat as a pancake, but mom insisted I decorate the thing and serve it. I cried the whole time, 'cause I was certain she was punishing me. Another time I tried to make icing like my mom always did, except that I didn't have the recipe there, and put about a cup of milk in it!!!! Ugh.

I've gotten better recently. Just look at my family!! I've put on about 60 pounds in the last year, and hubbie's put on about the same. We're not suffering!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hollygirl

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scr
Apr 15, 2002
✟831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:D Oh dear ladies! Thank you for making me laugh! I needed that! I'm not the worlds greatest cook but I don't have any stories that are as entertaining as the ones I've read.

Except for the fun cake I tried to make for a friend's birthday.... My mother told me about it over the phone. A cake with a "swimmiming pool" made out of blue jello in the middle, with those little bear graham crackers as it's swimmers etc. She left out a few steps when explaning how to make it. Well, long story short, my "pool" seeped into my cake so I had a jello-y cake with a large hole in the middle. :pink:

Upvote 0

Lost

Official CF Mater Tosser
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2002
Rock Island, IL
Visit site
✟44,489.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
OK, I'll post this because I can't stand the men's corner being ahead of ours, but DON'T Look! LOL

I bought a package of those frozen cinnamon rolls that you just take the top off and stick in the oven. I'm always telling the kids; "read the instructions first".

Well, being perpetually tired I just yanked the cardboard top off and stuck the pan in the oven. I GLANCED at the temperature and cooking time, set the knobs and went into the living room.

A little while later my daughter, smelling the rolls, offered to take the rolls out of the oven so they could cool. (You KNOW she wanted one..LOL)

I heard laughter coming out of the kitchen so loud I had to go look. Both my son and my daughter were rolling on the floor laughing, LITERALLY, because apparently under the cardboard top there was a see thru plastic lid that I had left on and it had melted on top of the rolls into a little disk.

Now, EVERY time I'm baking in the kitchen ONE of them HAS to come out and say:  "Be sure to read the instructions FIRST Mom!"

Lost

Upvote 0