Mar 5, 2008
✟16,083.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I spent many years as a Charismatic and found that much of what is taught, although biblical, just didn't happen to everyone. I and my wife received the gift of the Holy Spirit and we both speak in tongues.

Our concerns have always been healing. "And greater things shall you do" Jesus said. I won't accept the fact that healing is not met because of a lack of faith, forgettng to ask forgiveness from someone, not paying tithes to a paricular church (we give to the Paralyzed Veterans of America as often as we can, sometimes twice a month).

I know little or nothing about being Catholic and my wife would love to have us renew our vows in our local Catholic church. It is beautiful. I'm in awe of the building, the stained glass, the cross of Jesus so boldly displayed above the alter, the vast marble flooring, the echoing in the hallways.....I really love the design of the church. For me to make my wife feel blessed on that day of our vows, what lies ahead for me to do?

Caticism??? Confession??? I'm really lost here. I don't even know when it's right to make the sign of the cross, or what's right or wrong about holy water, like can I take some home? I need help. :blush:

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I spent many years as a Charismatic and found that much of what is taught, although biblical, just didn't happen to everyone. I and my wife received the gift of the Holy Spirit and we both speak in tongues.

Our concerns have always been healing. "And greater things shall you do" Jesus said. I won't accept the fact that healing is not met because of a lack of faith, forgettng to ask forgiveness from someone, not paying tithes to a paricular church (we give to the Paralyzed Veterans of America as often as we can, sometimes twice a month).

I know little or nothing about being Catholic and my wife would love to have us renew our vows in our local Catholic church. It is beautiful. I'm in awe of the building, the stained glass, the cross of Jesus so boldly displayed above the alter, the vast marble flooring, the echoing in the hallways.....I really love the design of the church. For me to make my wife feel blessed on that day of our vows, what lies ahead for me to do?

Caticism??? Confession??? I'm really lost here. I don't even know when it's right to make the sign of the cross, or what's right or wrong about holy water, like can I take some home? I need help. :blush:

I think the first thing to do is to go to see the priest, and ask him the same as you have asked here. He is really the best person to talk to you in detail about this.

It is not clear whether you ever were Catholic before; it doesn't really look like it from your post. If not, I don't know whether a Catholic priest could give you the blessing service you want or not; you would really have to ask him. Catholic churches are not just buildings; there are beliefs which go along with the faith as well. A discussion with the priest would be able to explain this fully.

I wish you well. :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tobethebest

Veteran
Mar 5, 2008
✟16,083.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks Catherine. You are right about me not ever being Catholic. It's like a whole new set of rules from where I'm standing. There is so much tradition that holds the Catholic church together. All the saints and memorized prayers, the following words that are said as the priest speaks, even communion where my wife tells me how to receive the bread in a certain way and when I'm not reverent by forgetting to make the sign of the cross. Ugh. I'm destined to fail.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks Catherine. You are right about me not ever being Catholic. It's like a whole new set of rules from where I'm standing. There is so much tradition that holds the Catholic church together. All the saints and memorized prayers, the following words that are said as the priest speaks, even communion where my wife tells me how to receive the bread in a certain way and when I'm not reverent by forgetting to make the sign of the cross. Ugh. I'm destined to fail.

If you are not Roman Catholic you should not be receiving communion in a Catholic church at all. There is a process to achieve membership, which the priest will be able to tell you about.

Is your wife a Roman Catholic?

Upvote 0

tobethebest

Veteran
Mar 5, 2008
✟16,083.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes Catherine, my wife is Roman Catholic. As a child she used to attend Latin services and her recent meetings with her newly appointed priest has done much to elevate our marriage to a different level. She is far more at home in the surroundings of her childhood and she looks forward to returning to some of the Latin services soon. The priest even suggested she do attend and that I spend time with him in order to learn what I can and cannot do.

There's a pattern to everything, which of course includes confession and classes. My wife and I both have been told that we should not receive communion for a few weeks. I don't understand why. It's given so freely everywhere else? What's the big deal. I really like communion. It reminds me of the broken body of our Lord and the sacrifices He made for all of us. I've much to learn and can only take it one step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm more of a radical street preacher who has given much time independently speaking to strangers about Christ and watching them give their lives to the Lord. I have no fear in evangelism, nor of speaking the word of God openly. At one time I was very good at it..........I fell away for awhile, angry at the wealth of so many televangelists, while others barely have enough to keep their small churches alive and finding as many problems within the church as without. It was a tough time for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes Catherine, my wife is Roman Catholic. As a child she used to attend Latin services and her recent meetings with her newly appointed priest has done much to elevate our marriage to a different level. She is far more at home in the surroundings of her childhood and she looks forward to returning to some of the Latin services soon. The priest even suggested she do attend and that I spend time with him in order to learn what I can and cannot do.

That all makes sense. It sounds as if your priest has this all well in hand.

There's a pattern to everything, which of course includes confession and classes. My wife and I both have been told that we should not receive communion for a few weeks. I don't understand why. It's given so freely everywhere else? What's the big deal. I really like communion. It reminds me of the broken body of our Lord and the sacrifices He made for all of us. I've much to learn and can only take it one step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The big deal is that Roman Catholics have a different view of what is happening at the Eucharist to most other communions, and they want to make sure that their communicants understand and accept that difference. As a High Anglican I share the Roman Catholic view, but I would also not be able to communicate with them without being admitted to the church; that is just how it is.

The main difference is that to us the Eucharist is not a memorial, but an actual participation in the eternal events of the Last Supper. The bread and wine become the actual Body, Blood and Divinity of the Lord, and we partake of these when we consume them.

Your priest will explain more about this, but he will not let you or your wife partake until you understand and can accept this teaching irt the Eucharist.

I'm more of a radical street preacher who has given much time independently speaking to strangers about Christ and watching them give their lives to the Lord. I have no fear in evangelism, nor of speaking the word of God openly. At one time I was very good at it..........I fell away for awhile, angry at the wealth of so many televangelists, while others barely have enough to keep their small churches alive and finding as many problems within the church as without. It was a tough time for me.

I am sorry you have had a difficult time.

You may find much of the Catholic church very different to start with, but I am sure that if you stick with it you will find that those differences grow on you, and before long no other church will feel quite the same.

If you go to the OBOB (one body one bread) part of this forum you will find other Catholics to talk to; I am not sure many come to this bit.

I wish you well. :wave:

Upvote 0

tobethebest

Veteran
Mar 5, 2008
✟16,083.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Catherine. You have given me much to work with and the new thread should open me up even further. It's encouraging to read that "if you stick with it you will find that those differences grow on you, and before long no other church will feel quite the same." Selah.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you Catherine. You have given me much to work with and the new thread should open me up even further. It's encouraging to read that "if you stick with it you will find that those differences grow on you, and before long no other church will feel quite the same." Selah.

I am glad to hear that.

God be with you, tbtb. xxx

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How beautiful you and your Wife are as God's Children TBTB.

First of all I wish to share with you the following through God and our Heavenly Mother my Brother in Christ;

+ Jesus is sitting and/or standing (present) in His Holy Tabernacle watching the whole congregation in each of His Masses and Churches throughout His World. How would you or I and every Parishioner re-act if we could only see Jesus watching us all?

This should be your solution to your pondering!

+ Further, Jesus waits for each and every one of His Children to acknowledge Him during Holy Mass, praying to Him, focussing on His Holy Cross and Resurrection, His Sorrows, His Agonies, speaking to Him with reverence from our Hearts while in Mass and at any time.

+ Repenting our sins is most important and the key to assisting us in further opening up our hearts to receive Jesus directly speaking to our Hearts and minds while asking for our Heavenly Mother to intercede for us.

+ Attendance at Mass or His Holy Universal Churches is paramount in receiving Jesus forgiveness for our sins and being brought to Eternal Life with Him.

+ Further, we must trust in Jesus that He is with us at all times, giving us His Blessings for which we must thank in order to receive more (of His Blessings).

+ Offering up our hardships, trials and burdens as sacrifices to Jesus and through our Heavenly Mother will assist us on our Soul journeys.

All the Glory and Honour are all Yours Dear God our Heavenly Father now and forever.

Kindest wishes

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

i am astounded that no one has directed you to the Lord Jesus...directly.. and the bible.
pick up your bible,read it and ask the lord Jesus for understanding..

you can look to the lord Jesus and put your faith in him alone..
Or ,follow mere men.
I'v chosen the lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My Mother was C of E/Anglican and receives God's Holy Eucharist at Communion time with my Father RC.

Michael, make an appointment with your Local Church Priest and he will indeed guide and Bless you into God's Catholic Church to receive all of His Blessed Sacraments,

Kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

If you are not Roman Catholic you should not be receiving communion in a Catholic church at all. There is a process to achieve membership, which the priest will be able to tell you about.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our Lady Mary Mother of God our Heavenly Mother says at 4:53:
"Further my Children, Jesus My Son your Saviour is calling you all to repent from open remorseful hearts to Him, attend Church, My Children, to receive all of His Blessed Sacraments, adore the Cross, focus on His Stations of His Cross, pray My Children from your Hearts, to receive Him, and by doing this My Children, coming closer to Jesus My Son your Saviour".

"That is all".

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Mother was C of E/Anglican and receives God's Holy Eucharist at Communion time with my Father RC.

Michael, make an appointment with your Local Church Priest and he will indeed guide and Bless you into God's Catholic Church to receive all of His Blessed Sacraments,

Why would i do that?i have direct access to the father through the one true high priest ,the lord Jesus.

Wow if this is chrismatic catholism..
I want no part of it.. not now,not ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello Michael,

We have crossed lines of communication most sadly.

My response was to "To Be the Best" my apologies Michael.

The last two lines belong to another Poster and not myself Michael; I never make judgements on any person wishing to become Catholic, or being a Charismatic Catholic; in fact, part of God's Calling to myself is strongly encouraging people to attend the Catholic Church to receive Jesus' Blessed Sacraments (Holy Eucharist) and attend Confession/Reconciliation.

My response to "To be the Best" was:

This was intended for "To Be the Best"

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

No, Emotions are not a good reason!
Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:hug:

Peace of Christ, brother in Christ.

A Catechism is a book which explains what a particular church believes and practises. It's like a textbook, or a reference book. Some Protestant bodies have catechisms, and the Catholic Church has several. The most up-to-date, detailed and academic one, and free on the Vatican's website, is the "Catechism of the Catholic Church", which is intended for scholars, priests, bishops, and theologians. But anyone can have a copy. And while you might need a dictionary alongside it, you can generally get the gist of it.

If you want an easier Catechism to read, there is the "Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church", which is a Q&A format, and also available for free at the Vatican's website. The "YouCat" is also a Q&A catechism, made for teens and young adults. Finally, an older but respectable "Catholic Catechism" was written by Fr. John Hardon, SJ in English. It is as orthodox as the CCC or the Compendium, but was written during the 70s, almost right after Vatican II. From what I understand, it's easier to read than the CCC, being written in English by an American.

Take a gander. Maybe it won't be so intimidating if you get a look at it, up close and personal.

The Catechism
The Compendium
Fr. Hardon's Catechism

Upvote 0