northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I apologize in advance for how long this ended up!

I have a question and would love others input and prayers. Our family has been a member of our church for the 9 years we have lived here. My daughter was an acolyte and I have been involved in some study groups/commitees/workshops. I am still finishing EFM and plan on training to be a mentor this summer. I like the rector and appreciate his sermons and approach to the faith/emphasis on social concerns in may ways. At one point a few years ago we had a wonderful assistant rector who began to help bring the arts into worship and introduce more meditative/contemplative practices.However she left and all went back to "normal" as these aspects of worship are not something he is very focused on (or, I get the feeling, he is comfortable with).

Meanwhile there is a Presbyterian church nearby that has a meditation room, permenant outdoor labyrinth, and monthly indoor labyrinth/meditation days. I have met both pastors at our neighbors house as they are very invoved in that church. Both women have impressed me and are committed to a vibrant well-rounded church ministry. Over Lent they have an eccumenical group of speakers scheduled for Sunday adult worship and Tuesday nights, talking about verious aspects of worship and the arts (music, dance, sorytelling, iconography, visual arts, writing/poetry). I have already joined an evening session on liturgical dance and plan on attending more as the assistant pastor invited me join all of the sessions. There is a part of my soul that is fed by this church that is not addressed at my own church.

Here is my dilemma. I am Episcopal by God's leading and theology. That will not change. My understanding of the Eucharist and worship is encompassed there and is important to me. This is a church-level dilemma. My husband has said lets just start going to the Presbyterian church (he's a bit frustrated with our church for other reasons), but I need the Holy Eucharist and still want to be a part of our church. The other church celebrates communion only 1x a month as well. I would like to go to both churches. Occasionally this may mean the early service at our church so I can get to the Sunday school and service at the Presbyterian church on time. My husband and son will only go to one church with me. Also our rector will probably notice the difference in our attendence as well. What do I tell him? Is it fair to attend two churches and finacially support only one? Can i get involved in both or will that get dicey? I've never dealt with this situation before. :confused: :help: Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as prayers!!!! Thanks!

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow, that is kind of a dilemma. I think it's great that a church such as the Presbyterian one you describe exists. It sounds wonderful (and I'm partial to Presbyterians, since I once was one!). Not sure I can advise you as to what to do, though, especially in which church to give to financially. I do think you could successfully attend both, and you would be a blessing to both.

Upvote 0

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if this will help, but I'll share my story with you:

I am taking long-distance seminary courses in the ELCA, and am (hopefully) headed toward some sort of official ministry position there, either ordained or lay ministry. I am a life-long Lutheran and currently serve as a weekly liturgical assistant at my church, and I also preach occasionally and help with pastoral care visits.

And yet, about 4 1/2 years ago, on a whim, I attended an Episcopal mid-week Eucharist service. I have attended that service reguarly ever since. Starting about a year ago, I have become almost a quasi-member of the local Episcopal church, as I lead a revised mid-week service there when the priest is gone (I lead Rite I Morning Prayer), and once a month on Sunday mornings, I serve as the lector/communion assistant with the Episcopal service that does not conflict with the Lutheran service time. The Episcopalians started sending me their monthly newsletter and I even have an offering box there with my name on it, although I give a lot less to the Episcopal church than to the Lutheran church.

So, my ultimate point is, I have been doing something like you are considering. What do I get out of it? I get spritually fed by both churches and get to receive the Eucharist twice a week. What do they get out of it? It seems like both churches appreciate what I do for them.

Your situation is obviously different, but I think God is calling you to do a new thing, so don't be afraid to try something that is not "normal".

My prayers are with you!

Upvote 0

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks, IowaLutheran. It was helpful to hear your similar experience, and that it seems to have worked well for you. Does the joint fellowship of the TEC and the ELCA make it easier for you to serve in both services? Hopefully, this will work out as well. My neighbor just asked me to help plan art projects for the volunteer-run afterschool program the Presbyterian church has for elementary age children. So maybe i'll also be able to give something to both churches:).

Upvote 0

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, IowaLutheran. It was helpful to hear your similar experience, and that it seems to have worked well for you. Does the joint fellowship of the TEC and the ELCA make it easier for you to serve in both services? Hopefully, this will work out as well. My neighbor just asked me to help plan art projects for the volunteer-run afterschool program the Presbyterian church has for elementary age children. So maybe i'll also be able to give something to both churches:).

The full communion agreement between the ELCA and TEC has helped, as I have discussed the possibilities of either a joint diaconal or ordained pastor/priest ministry between the two churches in the event I go futher in the seminary. Your situation is a bit different since the Presbyterians and TEC do not have such an agreement, but I think you could break some new ground! Good luck!

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I can relate to this. I'm a member of an Assembly of God church, and I believe God has led me to it. God's love is strong in this congregation and the pastor is a gifted teacher. Both of those are what I need the most, and what I was missing in previous churches.

But I also sometimes want a liturgical service, and I want communion more than once a month, so I go to an Episcopal or Lutheran service sometimes too. And truthfully, by doctrine I'm closer to ELCA and TEC than I am to AG... but AG is where God has put me, and I'm not moving.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I apologize in advance for how long this ended up!

I have a question and would love others input and prayers. Our family has been a member of our church for the 9 years we have lived here. My daughter was an acolyte and I have been involved in some study groups/commitees/workshops. I am still finishing EFM and plan on training to be a mentor this summer. I like the rector and appreciate his sermons and approach to the faith/emphasis on social concerns in may ways. At one point a few years ago we had a wonderful assistant rector who began to help bring the arts into worship and introduce more meditative/contemplative practices.However she left and all went back to "normal" as these aspects of worship are not something he is very focused on (or, I get the feeling, he is comfortable with).

Meanwhile there is a Presbyterian church nearby that has a meditation room, permenant outdoor labyrinth, and monthly indoor labyrinth/meditation days. I have met both pastors at our neighbors house as they are very invoved in that church. Both women have impressed me and are committed to a vibrant well-rounded church ministry. Over Lent they have an eccumenical group of speakers scheduled for Sunday adult worship and Tuesday nights, talking about verious aspects of worship and the arts (music, dance, sorytelling, iconography, visual arts, writing/poetry). I have already joined an evening session on liturgical dance and plan on attending more as the assistant pastor invited me join all of the sessions. There is a part of my soul that is fed by this church that is not addressed at my own church.

Here is my dilemma. I am Episcopal by God's leading and theology. That will not change. My understanding of the Eucharist and worship is encompassed there and is important to me. This is a church-level dilemma. My husband has said lets just start going to the Presbyterian church (he's a bit frustrated with our church for other reasons), but I need the Holy Eucharist and still want to be a part of our church. The other church celebrates communion only 1x a month as well. I would like to go to both churches. Occasionally this may mean the early service at our church so I can get to the Sunday school and service at the Presbyterian church on time. My husband and son will only go to one church with me. Also our rector will probably notice the difference in our attendence as well. What do I tell him? Is it fair to attend two churches and finacially support only one? Can i get involved in both or will that get dicey? I've never dealt with this situation before. :confused: :help: Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as prayers!!!! Thanks!

How has this ended up for you? :)

Upvote 0

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
:) That's a thread resurrection!
I've become a bit more involved with lay commitees and an expanding ministry at our Episcopal church, one which may have me organizing the design and building of an outdoor labyrinth and chapel on new property we are aquiring. I still visit the Presbyterian church for various functions and am deeply grateful for its openness and presence nearby. I think I'm accepted as an occasional crossover :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Glad it's working for you, artrx! :thumbsup:

I'm still an occasional crossover myself. My main church, where I'm a member, is Assemblies of God. And my main service is on Sunday evening. (There'd be no point to going to the morning service also, as the sermon is the same. Only the style and the crowd varies, and the evening service is my favorite.)

But I have a taste for liturgy too. Sometimes I also attend a Sunday morning service, either at St. Mark's Cathedral in Seattle (the head church of the regional Episcopal diocese) or at a local Covenant Church (a small denomination that has a loosely Lutheran feel to it).

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

I too can relate. I still recite the morning and evening prayers of the Liberal Catholic Church, and long for it's liturgical structure, yet I am fully involved with my Episcopal parish on Sundays and the odd day here and there for other stuff.

Could this "duality" we are experiencing be the Holy Spirit prompting us to be less divisive and more unitive in our views of "church" and congregation?

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Could this "duality" we are experiencing be the Holy Spirit prompting us to be less divisive and more unitive in our views of "church" and congregation?

That is a good way of putting it! I have felt like this for the longest time but never realized others were like me, and never quite could put a description to it.

My story is similar. I love the CotN and know that God has called me to it, but also long for other worship styles as well. My church is so low church that if we had a basement, we'd be worshiping in it ;) Yet, I long for something more liturgical and definitely with communion more than 4 times a year. I've tried the local Lutheran church [a bit sedate for me] and will go to my local Episcopal Cathedral on occasion. I plan on trying the local Catholic Cathedral sometime this Lenten season. I especially want to make it during Lent as my local church does zip for lent other than a Maundy Thursday meeting with other churches [and that is just a plan ole service nothing special beyond that].

And where I used to live, my church was struggling alot. For spiritual nourishment I had to go to my friends' P/C churches. I loved how they prayed and how they let the Spirit move them. I would attend whenever it did not conflict with my local Naz church.

Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been attending two different churches for years. My main church is the Methodist church and that is where my greatest involvement is. But I also have been attending Wednesday services at lunch hour at the local Episcopal church.

Actually for the past few months I also have been going to a Charismatic service on Friday nights. So I guess I'm up to a 3 denomination person. I wish there we're more hours in the week..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
That is a good way of putting it! I have felt like this for the longest time but never realized others were like me, and never quite could put a description to it.

My story is similar. I love the CotN and know that God has called me to it, but also long for other worship styles as well. My church is so low church that if we had a basement, we'd be worshiping in it ;) Yet, I long for something more liturgical and definitely with communion more than 4 times a year. I've tried the local Lutheran church [a bit sedate for me] and will go to my local Episcopal Cathedral on occasion. I plan on trying the local Catholic Cathedral sometime this Lenten season. I especially want to make it during Lent as my local church does zip for lent other than a Maundy Thursday meeting with other churches [and that is just a plan ole service nothing special beyond that].

And where I used to live, my church was struggling alot. For spiritual nourishment I had to go to my friends' P/C churches. I loved how they prayed and how they let the Spirit move them. I would attend whenever it did not conflict with my local Naz church.

Update - I have been attending a nearby EC church before my regular church attendance. And I attend the RCC with a hs friend from time to time. So, I am turning into a 3 denomination person as well.

Upvote 0