Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Anyone in Semper finding it difficult to believe Chan didn't know about different views on the Lord's Supper? Recently he has claimed he "didn't know" the Lord's Supper was central to early Christian worship and that the early church taught and believed in the real presence of Christ in the Supper. I think he's being dishonest. He also claims to only have studied back to the Reformation, however, Luther and Calvin BOTH believed in the real presence of Christ in the Supper although they disagreed on the details because how each others views affected Christology. Calvin pushed to celebrate the Lord's Supper weekly but was overruled.

Anyway, what do you think? Chan being dishonest or is he kinda dumb for having gone to Masters Seminary and missed entire chapters on church history?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟846,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are things we all learn later on. Even those with PhDs are still figuring things out. Show him and other Christians a little grace. I've been studying the Bible for over 20 years and never once looked at who taught what about the Lord's supper. There are a lot of Christians like myself who are non-denominational and focus on scriptures, not church history or tradition.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟757,654.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I heard a little bit from Chan many years ago, and I never listened to him ever since. He is all over the place it seems.
That has been my experience as well. I concerned his recent divergence will negatively impact his followers.

• Agree
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟383,711.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone in Semper finding it difficult to believe Chan didn't know about different views on the Lord's Supper? Recently he has claimed he "didn't know" the Lord's Supper was central to early Christian worship and that the early church taught and believed in the real presence of Christ in the Supper. I think he's being dishonest. He also claims to only have studied back to the Reformation, however, Luther and Calvin BOTH believed in the real presence of Christ in the Supper although they disagreed on the details because how each others views affected Christology. Calvin pushed to celebrate the Lord's Supper weekly but was overruled.

Anyway, what do you think? Chan being dishonest or is he kinda dumb for having gone to Masters Seminary and missed entire chapters on church history?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Didn't he run a non - liturgical church ???

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 'real presence' issue did not arise in his former flavour of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟125,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That has been my experience as well. I concerned his recent divergence will negatively impact his followers.

And Piper, following after the SJW and progressive stances he has taken in recent years.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well, personally I can't say I'm really familiar with what Chan understood or didn't understand?

And I know this can be a "sticky wicket" in relation to what personalities of past history believed; but I believe it is a valid question as to the best of our understanding, what can we determine of what does Scripture say?

I agree that what theologians of past history understood can be useful; but also recognizing that they were limited by certain perimeters that made their access less than what we have of Scripture today, simply based on advancements of our access to. (Luther and Calvin didn't have concordances and computer programs to aide them!)

Thus the comparisons aren't exactly fair.

Upvote 0