Formal Debate Gallery: Was Jesus Crucified on a Friday?

Based on the strength of the arguements presented, who do you believe won the debate?

• LamorakDesGalis

• WailingWall

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
Matthew 28:1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Mark 16:2-3 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"

Luke 24:1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.
We have clear indication here that when dawn came on the third day, Yeshua had already risen... Now it would be an assumption to think that He just so happened to have ressurrected minutes before the girls got there.
John 20:1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.
This clearly shows that even before sunrise the Lord had already risen...
Matthew 27:63-64 63 "Sir," they said, "we remember that while he was still alive that deceiver said, 'After three days I will rise again.' 64 So give the order for the tomb to be made secure until the third day.
There is also that matter of the guards and the length of time they were ordered to guard the tomb. The guards were still there in the morning and when the angel came and rolled back the stone and invited Mary to come see.. that the Lord had already risen... the guards were shocked first by the angel's appearance... yet the Lord had already slipped away and there was no one in the tomb.
Matthew 28:1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. 2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4 The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men. 5 The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."
So when did the Lord rise from the dead? It wasn't at dawn.... and it wasn't at the sunset of the sabbath... So that leaves us with the resurrection some time in the night. .. between sunset and dawn.. while it is still dark.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have clear indication here that when dawn came on the third day, Yeshua had already risen... Now it would be an assumption to think that He just so happened to have ressurrected minutes before the girls got there.

And exactly what is supposed to be the third day in the Wednesday crucifixion view?

This clearly shows that even before sunrise the Lord had already risen...

And the texts are specific that Jesus rose on the 1st day of the week...

There is also that matter of the guards and the length of time they were ordered to guard the tomb. The guards were still there in the morning and when the angel came and rolled back the stone and invited Mary to come see.. that the Lord had already risen... the guards were shocked first by the angel's appearance... yet the Lord had already slipped away and there was no one in the tomb.

The guards were ordered to secure the tomb until the third day...
and what day is supposed to be the third day in the Wed crucifixion scheme?

So when did the Lord rise from the dead? It wasn't at dawn.... and it wasn't at the sunset of the sabbath... So that leaves us with the resurrection some time in the night. .. between sunset and dawn.. while it is still dark.

Yes, some time during the 1st day of the week...so it means Jesus was in the grave for at least 1-12 hours more than what the literal 72 hours view says...

LDG

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LDG, you certainly have a way of making the simple; complex. You spin like a whirling dervish.
I can see that no fact will ever get in your way.

ThomasDa,
Facts? There are plenty of facts that I've presented in the debate and in this thread...facts which no Wed crucifixion advocate has dealt with.

For example, I have never seen any Wed crucifixion advocate actually deal with the Scripture verses which show an inclusive reckoning of the three days.

And why doesn't any Wed crucifixion advocate deal with it? Because by itself, an admission to an inclusive reckoning of three days makes the Friday crucifixion possible.

So that fact itself is just ignored by Wed crucifixion advocates...and it means I'm not the one who is ignoring certain facts.

In fact, someone said Jesus was resurrected on the weekly Sabbath while someone else said Jesus was resurrected on the 1st day of the week. So Wed crucifixion advocates are contradicting each other about this.

And so I've been asking a very simple question about the length of the three days. But I have not received any straight answer to it.

How could Jesus have been resurrected on Day 3 - the third day?

You have insisted that three days and three nights was a literal 72 hours, and that Jesus was literally in the tomb for 72 hours.

But i
f Jesus was supposedly in the tomb for 72 hours - a full three days and three nights - then how could Jesus have been resurrected on the third day?

Its a simple question, ThomasDa, and I'm asking for a straightforward explanation from Wed crucifixion advocates...

LDG

Upvote 0