Forgetting what to do during Mass, this is unlike me.

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟792,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sigh, sorry for making the third post in like a day, but seriously, I did forget to talk about this.

I did make a post about how different (in other words, weird) the parish (I visited yesterday) felt compared to the other parishes I've gone to, but one thing I forgot to mention was that there were no pews, just seats. That meant that my brain was thrown off about when to stand/kneel/sit when otherwise, all of this is second nature when going to a church with pews. I forgot what parts of the Mass I was supposed to stand/kneel/sit for, and this is something I didn't expect, because I didn't have the problem before. It doesn't mean I'm losing it, am I?

I'm starting to wonder if the building that this Catholic parish is for was originally another non-Catholic church. It just looks that way, both inside and out.

I'm not sure I like to give information on the church I visited but here it is. (I'm not in the video, so I guess it's alright)
(Those musicians were not there yesterday, only the "piano lady" who doesn't seem to be there in this video)

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sigh, sorry for making the third post in like a day, but seriously, I did forget to talk about this.

I did make a post about how different (in other words, weird) the parish (I visited yesterday) felt compared to the other parishes I've gone to, but one thing I forgot to mention was that there were no pews, just seats. That meant that my brain was thrown off about when to stand/kneel/sit when otherwise, all of this is second nature when going to a church with pews. I forgot what parts of the Mass I was supposed to stand/kneel/sit for, and this is something I didn't expect, because I didn't have the problem before. It doesn't mean I'm losing it, am I?

I'm starting to wonder if the building that this Catholic parish is for was originally another non-Catholic church. It just looks that way, both inside and out.

I'm not sure I like to give information on the church I visited but here it is. (I'm not in the video, so I guess it's alright)
I'd say, do not worry. Just copy what others in the church do. :) Seats seem more comfortable compared to pews anyways. God does not get mad for one's mistakes during Mass. Remember, God is loving and forgiving.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟792,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'd say, do not worry. Just copy what others in the church do. :) Seats seem more comfortable compared to pews anyways. God does not get mad for one's mistakes during Mass. Remember, God is loving and forgiving.
There are small kneelers on the back of every chair, but I notice that many people don't use them. I guess the expectation to kneel here is more lax, I don't know.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are small kneelers on the back of every chair, but I notice that many people don't use them. I guess the expectation to kneel here is more lax, I don't know.
Well, that is alright. At least the chairs have built in kneelers. If you want to, you can use the kneelers, if it feels right with you.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

(Those musicians were not there yesterday, only the "piano lady" who doesn't seem to be there in this video)
This is where I say I really like Gothic church buildings.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Same here. This is the Seville Cathedral, built in the 1400s, completed in 1519. My parents and I went there in 2019 on our travels to Spain.

Source: Seville Cathedral - Wikipedia

1714360140741.jpeg

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟159,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do too but my church is a typical 70’s style church. We are remodeling soon though, so the pews, kneelers, flooring and Confessionals be updated but the building will still be 70’s.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do too but my church is a typical 70’s style church. We are remodeling soon though, so the pews, kneelers, flooring and Confessionals be updated but the building will still be 70’s.
My church is a 1980s style one. The stained glass is rainbow, but we have pews, except in the front row, which are seats.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’m not absolutely wedded to Gothic, as if it is the only way of building a church. But it does work. Even the 1970’s buildings can sometimes be retrofitted to allow for reverent worship. My own current parish is a 1970’s disaster but they have taken recent steps like putting the tabernacle in the sanctuary where it belongs. The building itself does little to lift one’s soul heavenward, but it no longer pushes it down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟159,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m not absolutely wedded to Gothic, as if it is the only way of building a church. But it does work. Even the 1970’s buildings can sometimes be retrofitted to allow for reverent worship. My own current parish is a 1970’s disaster but they have taken recent steps like putting the tabernacle in the sanctuary where it belongs. The building itself does little to lift one’s soul heavenward, but it no longer pushes it down.
I wish my church was prettier but it is what it is. They used to have a crucifix on the smaller side, off to the side. And I think the tabernacle was off to the side when I first joined the parish. now they have a large crucifix over the altar and the tabernacle is behind the altar.

I am looking forward to the remodeling and hope it improves the dated look of the church. And the new Confessionals are going to be soundproof, which they aren’t at the moment.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I wish my church was prettier but it is what it is. They used to have a crucifix on the smaller side, off to the side. And I think the tabernacle was off to the side when I first joined the parish. now they have a large crucifix over the altar and the tabernacle is behind the altar.

I am looking forward to the remodeling and hope it improves the dated look of the church. And the new Confessionals are going to be soundproof, which they aren’t at the moment.
Good to make improvements.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟159,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good to make improvements.
Yeah, and we’re long overdue for improvements. They’re repainting too, and new fresh paint does wonders. It really bothered me that they used to have the crucifix off to the side.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟159,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I went to the Lutheran church, they had cushy chairs instead of pews and I kept nodding off bc 1) I’m not a morning person and 2) the chairs were comfy. Now I go to the Saturday vigil Mass and sit in a pew. And stay awake.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah, and we’re long overdue for improvements. They’re repainting too, and new fresh paint does wonders. It really bothered me that they used to have the crucifix off to the side.
Yup. We preach Christ, and Him crucified. Except when we hide the crucifix way off to the side.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I went to the Lutheran church, they had cushy chairs instead of pews and I kept nodding off bc 1) I’m not a morning person and 2) the chairs were comfy. Now I go to the Saturday vigil Mass and sit in a pew. And stay awake.
Yeah, pews help people stay awake, that is for sure. :)

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that is bad. At my church, the crucifix is front and center.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Soundproof confessionals can be bad in a way. What if the priest is shady?
Well, you can ask to take confession in a non-soundproofed confessional.

Hopefully your priest is not this guy (I haven't seen this Naruto anime, and don't intend to, cos the guy is creepy and the show is also very superficial)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married