Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This bruised reed is a man that for the most part is in some misery, as those were that came to Christ for help, and '(2.) by misery is brought to see sin the cause of it; for whatsoever pretences sin maketh, yet bruising or breaking is the end of it; '(3.) he is sensible of sin and misery, even unto bruising; and '(4.), seeing no help in himself, is carried with restless desire to have supply from another, with some hope, which a little raiseth him out of himself to Christ, though he dareth not claim any present interest of mercy. This spark of hope being opposed by doubtings, and fears rising from corruption, maketh him as smoking flax; so that both these together, a 'bruised' reed and 'smoking' flax, make up the state of a poor distressed man. Such an one as our Saviour Christ termeth poor in spirit, Matthew '5:3, who seeth a want, and withal seeth himself indebted to divine justice, and no means of supply from himself or the creature, and there upon mourns, and upon some hope of mercy from the promise and examples of those that have obtained mercy, is stirred up to hunger and thirst after it.

From Richard Sibbes, way back in the puritan days, The Bruised Reed and Smoking Flax

Last edited:

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
More than 30 years ago, I became ill with a major mental illness.
Along with it came the same desperate fears and turmoil as described above.
In many ways I was incapacitated mentally, socially, and spiritually.
While knowing Jesus as my Savior and Lord, I found my sense of sin and my distress
over it magnified intensely. It would plague me acutely for years.
I found myself isolated, alone in my battle, as I was unable to reach out.
It took me nearly seven years to find the ability and freedom to talk about all
that was happening both mentally and spiritually with my illness. The Lord had brought
me to a place where I could let out the anguish and desperation I was experiencing with
skilled and caring workers.

When I read the above passage by Richard Sibbes, I thought, "I'm not alone with these experiences."
So I thought the above post might help others who also might feel alone in their struggles
with sin, that God's justice of mercy is there, that Christ's righteousness is our righteousness,
and in Him we are works of His grace, love, and compassion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
More than 30 years ago, I became ill with a major mental illness.
Along with it came the same desperate fears and turmoil as described above.
In many ways I was incapacitated mentally, socially, and spiritually.
While knowing Jesus as my Savior and Lord, I found my sense of sin and my distress
over it magnified intensely. It would plague me acutely for years.
I found myself isolated, alone in my battle, as I was unable to reach out.
It took me nearly seven years to find the ability and freedom to talk about all
that was happening both mentally and spiritually with my illness. The Lord had brought
me to a place where I could let out the anguish and desperation I was experiencing with
skilled and caring workers.

When I read the above passage by Richard Sibbes, I thought, "I'm not alone with these experiences."
So I thought the above post might help others who also might feel alone in their struggles
with sin, that God's justice of mercy is there, that Christ's righteousness is our righteousness,
and in Him we are works of His grace, love, and compassion.
I'm glad you found some peace! This life certainly aint easy!

Upvote 0