• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Feeling justifiable guilt as a Father.

Richard Norman

Sep 3, 2016
France
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

This is difficult for me because I bear a burden of guilt

Back in 1997 I really had no choice but to sue a large company, to cut a long story short I developed an acute emotional psychosis, a serious mental illness, which led to a permanent brain injury and I later developed Bi-Polar 1 disorder. I was full of suppressed conscious anger and guilt for a very long time, just as my beloved daughter was just growing up, my marriage was far from perfect, there was an undercurrent of anger which sometimes flared up into angry outbursts, so our daughter was raised in far from perfect emotional psychological circumstances.

Due to my illness, I was a poor father to our daughter, though I used my creativity as an artist to make her creche something very special indeed, she has turned out to be highly creative which I see as a positive thing psychologically speaking.

My point is I am largely responsible for the problems my daughter now has because I used to suffer from so much unconscious guilt and anger. When I had my first manic episode I didn't know what hit me, I began hallucinating and believing the things I was seeing and reacting to them as if they were real, at this point, when I really had lost responsibility for my actions, I led her to use marijuana, and she now shows a strong dependency on this drug, plus she drinks a lot; plus she has an extremely volatile temper, I am reaping as I sowed, I know that but because I used to feel so guilty I had the tendency to do anything my daughter wanted, we are poor compared to normal people but I would give her money whenever I could.

I have since gone through a painful mental/spiritual healing with a psychiatrist, that has freed me from my mental illness, and can think calmly and rationally about this situation and with real compassion in my heart and soul, through God's grace I have been born anew and feel strong and confident in myself. Our daughter needs a kick up the backside sometimes, she is very lazy, but I am not sure if this is in the best interests of my daughter. I was never going to be a perfect father, we all have imperfections, but I need advice on how I should behave towards our daughter, I have no real idea, having screwed up so badly, how I should now be a good father to her.

I am a real believer in the existence of God the Father, and he knows I did my best, but except to proceed with love and compassion, I do not know how to behave as a Dad to our daughter.

In real penitent mood.

Richard

Reactions: LionL

follicallychalnged

Just a little cracked.
Aug 29, 2016
oklahoma
✟7,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
My first thought was Have you got your problem under control with two things , spiritual guidance and adequate medication. If you feel like you have, I suggest you google Focus on the family and read some of the things Dr. James Dobson has written . I seldom quote scriptures at any body but I will guide you to available christian help . I suggest that you define how and why you had been an unstable father using acquired christian knowledge . study yourself . Apply all you can learn about christian father figures . Then write it out telling her how you were and then how you should have reacted as a christian father . Then ask her forgiveness . Ask her if she she will join you in learning how to act as a christen parent . Go over your letter several times as you study . More ideas and solutions will develop as knowledge increases . Getting her to help can be the first step to healing .

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Richard, I'm glad you posted.

How old is your daughter now?

As parents who developed or always had a mental diagnosis such as bipolar, there was nothing you could do at that time. I do understand why you feel guilt, but did you have the ability to control that? Were you intentionally trying to be difficult to your family because of the bipolar? That sounds like false guilt to me because you weren't intentionally doing that to them.

How is the anger directed at this point for you?

Upvote 0