• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Feeling guilty about eating

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most of the time I eat food I feel guilty about doing it. Recently this hasn't quite been the case because I've been just not eating very much because it always bothers me, so when I do eat it's usually because I'm starting to feeling the physical effects of probably being a little malnourished so I feel like I have an excuse to eat. When I use to work, I would eat somewhat normally although sometimes I wouldn't have dinner. on the weekends, I would usually feel guilty just about every meal unless I only ate two meals over the course of two days probably.

Now over the last week or so I usually eat a max of two meals a day and sometimes fairly light meals at that. I would say I am easily eating only half of if not less than I used to. Sometimes I don't necessarily feel guilty, but just not even looking forward to enjoying a meal because I'm just gun shy. I found myself last night wondering if I should eat in the morning. Then this morning, I got ready to fry some eggs and started feeling guilty about it, so I stopped. Now, I feel like my conscience might let me eat, but I just don't want to and I'm not even sure why. It might be a mixture of just wanting to deprive myself and also just feeling blah about food. Like it's no longer for enjoyment but just to give me energy to keep at my responsibilties. If I go into the kitchen to eat I know I'm just going to be attacked for picking up certain foods. I actually have kind of a hard time explaining this because what I can and can't eat changes all the time. Honey is definately a no for sure, and spicy foods ( not because I'm not supposed to have them for health reasons but because my conscience is convinced it's a sin for me to eat these foods), but sometimes it includes things like toast, butter, cheese, fruit,etc. It's usually pretty random and sometimes I wonder if subconsciously I just feel guilty about experiencing pleasure and these foods that were always my favorite are now a sin for me because I need to deny myself pleasure or something. I'm trying to think about why I don't want to eat even though I'm hungry and I really think it's a mixture of now actually wanting to maybe heavily deprive myself or just feeling unmotivated because of all the implications for eating for me.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: brinny

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I also never had this problem before I started reading the Bible. I used to eat what I wanted, when I wanted ( unless of course it was a matter of not being able to afford to). It never turned into a health problem, and I never thought I had a problem but I'm sure there were many times looking back that I would have commited gluttony. Immediately after I began to seek the favor of God through His Son, I found myself always making promises that I would fast on a regular basis. It took time though for it to get as bad as it is now. I can remember a time when I felt so guilty about eating breakfast before a very physically demanding day of work and I found myself thinking I was just an apostate that was unwilling to give up food that morning for God. Even now while typing I think I need to knock it off and stop complaining and acting like I might need help and just man up and fast more.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:heart: Jesus never felt guilty for eating, dear heart. Praying that God eases all anxiety and worry, and that He heals you every place you hurt. (((hug)))

I know. And fortunately I just was able to eat breakfast without feeling guilty about it. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. I have been trying to just go ahead and not eat when I feel guilty, and eat when I don't. It's almost like when I don't feel guilty I just feel sort of bitter towards having to skip so many meals so I think " Fine then, I just won't ever eat"

• Friendly
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I know. And fortunately I just was able to eat breakfast without feeling guilty about it. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. I have been trying to just go ahead and not eat when I feel guilty, and eat when I don't. It's almost like when I don't feel guilty I just feel sort of bitter towards having to skip so many meals so I think " Fine then, I just won't ever eat"

:heart: Praying that God enables you to view food and His provision as blessings and that He calms everything that causes you angst. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As the Holy Spirit dwells within you it is important to look after yourself. Eating whole foods for energy to serve God is not indulgent. God wants us to be well and happy. I feel that I want to have some control of my senses (and especially control of my tongue) so I am pretty austere in my food choices by modern day standards but I do realise that it is important to eat enough to fuel my body in its service to my Guru and Saviour, Lord Jesus Christ. Starving yourself is self-harm and that must be displeasing to God, as harming any of His beloved children or creatures would be. Please try and be kind to yourself because Jesus loves you very much.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should see what Scripture says about worldly pleasures and eating and mercy and sacrifice
Do you think you know why there's so much confusion and chaos in what's called Christianity and people ask each other what they think and would approve...but what does the Bible say about that

Upvote 0

Velden777

Nov 2, 2017
Peregian Beach
✟8,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You poor thing.

If you have dramatically reduced your food intake you may be starving your body. If you are starving you need medical help as your brain will not be working properly. You appear to show signs of depression (no joy in eating, just for duty, etc) , and some intrusive thoughts. But both of these symptoms can be due to your reduced food intake.

Would you see a doctor or mental health professional?

I'm praying for you. Hugs

Upvote 0