Father Damien volunteered to help an island leper colony

FriendlyJosh

Jan 12, 2011
✟11,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"TIL Father Damien, a Catholic Priest, volunteered to help an island leper colony, saying "I make myself a leper to be with the lepers." There he turned shacks into painted houses, cultivated farms, and started schools. Doing so he contracted leprosy himself. He was canonized a saint in 2009."

Father Damien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

original thread
TIL Father Damien, a Catholic Priest, volunteered to help an island leper colony, saying "I make myself a leper to be with the lepers." There he turned shacks into painted houses, cultivated farms, and started schools. Doing so he contracted leprosy

What an amazing man!

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟480,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"TIL Father Damien, a Catholic Priest, volunteered to help an island leper colony, saying "I make myself a leper to be with the lepers." There he turned shacks into painted houses, cultivated farms, and started schools. Doing so he contracted leprosy himself. He was canonized a saint in 2009."

Father Damien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

original thread
TIL Father Damien, a Catholic Priest, volunteered to help an island leper colony, saying "I make myself a leper to be with the lepers." There he turned shacks into painted houses, cultivated farms, and started schools. Doing so he contracted leprosy

What an amazing man!

Yep - heard about his life and story.

Upvote 0