Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simple, easy, and with loads of variations:

Fragrant Grain with fruit and nuts
Grain: Basmati rice or Couscous
Stock: Vegetable bouillion/water or broth or plain water
Add-ins: toasted nuts (almonds, pinenuts, cashews)
dried fruit (chopped apricots, cranberries, dates, raisins, etc)
Seasonings: choose from among: salt/pepper, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, ground cloves, rose essence(sparingly and best if dish is sweet and not salty), other ideas?

Measure enough water/broth for the amount of grain you want to cook. Add dried fruit and spices and bring to a boil. Add grain to boiling water, cook according to directions. I suggest a taste test here, then add any more seasonings if it warrants it. Mix in toasted nuts right before serving. 1.5c of pre-cooked rice to .5c of fruit and .5c of nuts was a pretty good balance.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's what we're having tonight. If you choose to not use oil, you can saute the onions in about 1tbl veggie broth instead.

Tagine of Potato, Peas and Artichoke
one 15oz can of artichoke hearts, chopped
1-2 lemons
10 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
1tsp tumeric
1 1/2lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 1inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2cup veggie broth
one 10oz package frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
In a small bowl, place sliced artichoke hearts and squeeze lemon jiuce over them.
In a large bowl, combine juice of one lemon, tumeric and chopped cilantro. Toss in potatoes to coat with spice mixture.

saute onions until soft in either oil or broth in a medium pot. Reduce heat to medium, add potatoes and broth. Simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
Add zest of one of the lemons, artichoke hearts and peas. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until artichokes are heated through, 8-10 minutes.

kamikat

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a pot of veggie soup going.

1 can tomato paste in 5 cups (guessing) water
1 can stewed tomatos
1 can corn
1 can green beans
1 can pinto beans
1 diced onion

Salt, pepper, garlic to taste.

Of course, it's usually just do up the TP and water then start dumping cans of veggies in till it looks good then let it cook. I'm a regular Chef Boyar-whattheheckisinthat. :D

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Jewish club on campus was giving out free food today, which included pitas with soemthing in it the lady called somethin' like "filaful" - yummy little things kinda like vegan meatballs. Does anyone know what they are? How I might go about making some?

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's a recipe for falafel, there's are tons more out there.
http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe4858.htm

There's even an instant mix by Casbah (also make instant hummus) that can be found in some grocery stores, but most health food stores.

kamikat

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fried Peanut butter & banana sandwiches

These are a staple in the South and in my area are the equivelant to PB&Jelly.

Just mash up a banana (preferably ripe) in a bowl, sprinkle on a little sugar (or Splenda) then add 2/3 to 1 cup (depending on size of banana and personal taste) of peanut butter and mix well.

Spread it between 2 slices of bread. Now at this point, you can simply enjoy it or if you are permitted margarine, fry it like a grilled cheese and it becomes doubly delightful. Enjoy! I sure am. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elizabethcynthia32

Jul 17, 2006
Central Florida
✟7,708.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello, ya'll, I'm new here and sort of new to fasting, too. I have a dish I make just about weekly, black beans and rice. I got the recipe from the back of a package of black beans but I have started just playing it by ear now and it still comes out all right. I soak the beans overnight and usually freeze them when I first get them so that when I cook them later, they have less cooking time. Then, after I cook them I take some of them out with some liquid, mash them up in a mortal and pestle (or you can puree them in a blender) and I add a jarred paste called Recaito which I get in the hispanic food section. It's green and heavy on the cilantro. I usually put half the jar into the pureed beans, add a couple of packets of seasoning called Sazon (again, in the hispanic foods section), very little salt, a tablespoon or two of garlic powder (we love garlic in this house and go through loads and loads of it in powder and natural forms) and mix that up. Then, I drain the beans to our taste, add the paste to them, and mix them up. It's sort of a soupy consistency, which we like. I serve this "soup" over white rice and we have topping choices of mixed chopped black and green olives or finely chopped onions or green onions if you prefer. On oil days I make a vinegarette of vinegar, oil (vegetable or olive), garlic powder, salt and pepper, and Italian seasonings. I know my recipe isn't precise, but that's the way I make it, just by "sight" or just throwing in things. My kids love it, too, which was hard for me to believe at first because they are picky eaters sometimes.

Blessings,

Cynthia (Elizabeth)

Upvote 0

DonVA

May 20, 2006
Virginia
Visit site
✟10,207.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Elizabethcynthia32 said:
Oh, and I forgot to mention another thing I do on the fish, dairy, and oil allowed days. I have a copy of the Moosewood cookbook and I use that quite a bit. They have wonderful recipes for the more relaxed days.

Cynthia (Elizabeth)
I have that cookbook, too. Now if only I knew how to cook!

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do yall know about Quinoa?

It's a tiny grain (technically a seed) , like Millet, that used to be frequently used by native central/south Americans. From what I've been told, it's basically a complete protein, and has a much higher % of protein than wheat does. It needs to be rinsed well to clean off a natural coating of a bitter tasting chemical, but then it cooks in 15 min, is similar to kasha or couscous, and is high in iron, magnesium, and of course all the lovely protein! It's gluten-free for you glut-meisters, and can be found in whole/bulk food sections of groceries or in natural food stores with some ease. Read all about it on wikipedia!

It's a miracle fasting food that will help you eat nutriously while you're refraining from animal products.

Check out some facts and a few receipes here
http://chetday.com/quinoa.html

Reactions: VickiY
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VickiY

Jun 12, 2005
✟5,391.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
Lenten Spanakopita (spinach pie)

Lenten Spanakopita (Spinach pie)

2 10 oz packages of frozen chopped spinach
3 cups chopped onions (@ 3 medium)
1/3 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
1 14 ounce package firm tofu, crumbled
3-4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill (can substitute 3-4 teaspoons dried dill if needed)
2 teaspoons salt
juice of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 box of Pepperidge Farm (or similar vegan) puff pastry sheets, thawed according to instructions.

Directions:

Defrost and drain spinach. Squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Place in a large mixing bowl.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Sautee the onion in the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cover for the first 10 minutes, then cook 5-10 minutes more uncovered until very soft but not browned. Add the drained, finely crumbled tofu to the onions for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, stirring the tofu into the onions. (memo: after 20 min, mine still looked wetter than I thought advisable, so I continued cooking it, cover off, until the liquid had evaporated)

Add the onions and the tofu to the spinach in the bowl.

Add the dill, salt, lemon juice, pepper, and onion powder to the bowl. Mix until well combined.

In a 13x9 inch (ish) baking pan, unfold one thawed puff pastry sheet and spread it to fit bottom of pan.

Pour spinach mixture into pan, spreading to corners. Unfold top sheet of puff pastry mix, and place on top, again stretching/spreading it to cover entire top of pan.

Bake until top is nicely browned. Recipe states @ 40 minutes ( I gotta admit, here...I was baking this at 12:20, checked it at one, found it just beginning to brown, then promptly fell asleep, waking up one hour later to think I had crisped it beyond hope of anything but the fire brigade, but it was fine..not at all scorched, and just right. So, I am not sure if I had a recipe book with a typo, or if St. Euphrosynos [patron saint of cooks] was watching over my spanakopita). Anyway...top should be nicely browned...check at 40 minutes, then at intervals if need be.

Upvote 0

VickiY

Jun 12, 2005
✟5,391.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
Majadra:

1 cup brown lentils
2 bay leaves
1 cup rice
1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons of Lebanese Seven-Spice Mix (Sabah Baharat)
6-7 cardamom pods
salt to taste
1-2 large onions
vegetable oil to saute them in.

Boil lentils and bay leaves until cooked, drain lentils, remove bay leaves, place lentils in LARGE bowl. (keep warm)

Prepare rice according to directions. Place cooked rice in bowl with lentils, mix gently.

Remove seeds from cardamom pods, and crush seeds and add to Spice Mix. Sprinkle spice mix into Lentil/Rice mixture.

Slice onions into rings, and saute till just slightly carmelized. Spoon warm lentil/rice mix into bowls, top each with sauteed onion.

For those with no access to Lebanese grocery stores, Seven-Spice Mix (Sabah Baharat) is most often composed of: nutmeg, ground cinnamon, cumin, paprika, black pepper, ground coriander, and ground cloves. I usually mix my own, as I have all these spices on hand, rather than buying the mixture...(I pretty much use equal parts of each, a bit lighter on the cloves, but JUST a bit)

Reactions: DonVA
Upvote 0

VickiY

Jun 12, 2005
✟5,391.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
Vegan Brownies #19282 (from recipe zaar)

2 cups flour
1 cup water
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional) (Lenten, like Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips)

Cook water and 1/2 cup of the flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistancy of a gluey paste .
Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and vegetable oil, and then add the flour-water mixture.
Mix well.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, plus the baking powder and nuts/chocolate chips.
Spread mixture into a greased 11x7" pan.
Bake at 350 F for 35-45 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of pan comes out clean.

These are soooo good...BUT, so you do not have ISSUES with the dark brown sugar I recommend doing the first few steps with cocoa, sugar, etc. through addition of glue ;) in a food processor, then pouring that resultant rich chocolate glop into a mixing bowl to finish the mixing in of flour, baking powder, and choc. chips and nuts.

These are VERY good, and do not in any way resemble a discipline.
icon_cool.gif

Upvote 0

VickiY

Jun 12, 2005
✟5,391.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
Sandwich recipe...(sorta)

Take a vegan wrap, spread it with olive tapenade, add some sundried tomatoes, some roasted red pepper strips, and some red leaf lettuce. Roll up, and enjoy!

(clearly, this is for a day when oil is allowed, unless you want to make your own tapendade w/out it)

Upvote 0

DonVA

May 20, 2006
Virginia
Visit site
✟10,207.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Majadra:

1 cup brown lentils
2 bay leaves
1 cup rice
1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons of Lebanese Seven-Spice Mix (Sabah Baharat)
6-7 cardamom pods
salt to taste
1-2 large onions
vegetable oil to saute them in.

Boil lentils and bay leaves until cooked, drain lentils, remove bay leaves, place lentils in LARGE bowl. (keep warm)

Prepare rice according to directions. Place cooked rice in bowl with lentils, mix gently.

Remove seeds from cardamom pods, and crush seeds and add to Spice Mix. Sprinkle spice mix into Lentil/Rice mixture.

Slice onions into rings, and saute till just slightly carmelized. Spoon warm lentil/rice mix into bowls, top each with sauteed onion.

For those with no access to Lebanese grocery stores, Seven-Spice Mix (Sabah Baharat) is most often composed of: nutmeg, ground cinnamon, cumin, paprika, black pepper, ground coriander, and ground cloves. I usually mix my own, as I have all these spices on hand, rather than buying the mixture...(I pretty much use equal parts of each, a bit lighter on the cloves, but JUST a bit)
You forgot to mention how good a dollop of yogurt is on top of this dish! My grandmother made it and no one ever taught me how, so I truly appreciate your posting this. It is one of my absolute favorite dishes!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.