Fans of the band Evanescence

desper84unity

Jul 31, 2003
✟352.00
Faith
Christian
I just posted a thread in the Club section to start a group of 'Friends of Evanescence'. I just heard the group live at the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle last night. They were fantastic! Amy has an incredible voice.

What do you think of the lyrics?

Do you think they are trying to send a Christian message without committing to the Christian genre, in order not to loose the goth/metal-rocker/cult fans?

--desperate

Pharoah Monch

Aug 27, 2003
✟145.00
wait- "goth/metal"?...c'mon, Evanescence isn't "goth/metal", they're "nu-metal", and not even that hard...Evanescence is to goth/metal as Limp Bizkit is to hip-hop...now, Amy Lee is mad cute and her voice is great and sorta dramatic at times, but she keeps on using the same delivery and the same "trying to sound epic" approach, and makes her sound monotonous most of the time......goth/metal?, c'mon, they play their video in VH1, need i say more?.......

Upvote 0

desper84unity

Jul 31, 2003
✟352.00
Faith
Christian
Okay, your definitely right, but to a Christian parent like me its seems a safe level of goth or metal. I hear metallica is even becoming somewhat soft and epic, so that's interesting. However one thing sure, the audience at the concert, though not dangerously roudy, were dressed quite goth, and marilyn-mason sympathetic, and some were like bikers etc.

I'm trying to get a friendly dialog going between Christians, and goth, semi metal, and and related.

Amy's songs do have a very mono tone but, hey, her voice is so great, and Ben gots a good sound on the guitar, and pretty good scream going on.

I would like to welcome you to come to the little attempt at a club for Evanescence in the club section and give your positive opinion. That would be cool.

--desperate

Upvote 0

Pharoah Monch

Aug 27, 2003
✟145.00
well, personally, i think Evanescence appeals mostly to those sofcore goth/metal heads...and of course, to some of the nu-metal kids....i agree, its not negative as the true goth/metal bands are, but i never thought ppl would label them gothic...since the first time i heard them their sound was straight up nu-metal...now, i'm not a goth or metal head myself, but i listen to almost all types of music...about metallica, i agree they're getting softer, i dont know if epic, but i never liked their music, only a couple of songs and thats about it...and about the marilyn manson sympathetics, well, i think marilyn manson is the backstreet boys of goth/industrial/metal, more of an image than talent anyways...shock value at its american best...

Upvote 0

desper84unity

Jul 31, 2003
✟352.00
Faith
Christian
Well, I own a few top quality xylophone keys (I'm saving to buy more), and when my kids finally hit the sack, I bring them out and play them to God as a music offering. Really. I'm into the tone and the rythm, not the melody. I think God thinks I do 'alternative' music.

I also write and 'sing' my own praise lyrics to jazz instrumental recordings, even electric jazz guitar. Sorta like the beatnik of old used to do, but I'm not so spacey about it. So, I think am a "praise jazz lyricist".

So, do I pass?

Oh, and my daughter plays the piano. Does that help?

Upvote 0

Techbot

blah, blah, blah...
Sep 1, 2003
Houston,TX area
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
wonder111 said:
on the mtv awards I saw underneath evanescence it said "swear's they are not a Christian band" I guess they get that a lot.

Oh, and another big fan of portishead (noticed it on someone's signature)

I'd say "swears" is a good word for it. When they played here in Houston,TX, my brother went. He came back shocked. We thought they were a christian band, but some of the words Amy was tossing out weren't even close. Someone in the audience yelled something to her at an interval as she went to get a sip of water. She yelled back "Shut the F*** up!" There was one other instance that my brother told me but I've forgotten it. Everything I've heard leans towards them not being a christian band.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

desper84unity

Jul 31, 2003
✟352.00
Faith
Christian
Well, cussing is bad. But I notice when I finally get to know a Chrisitan family really well, like level 9, guess what you get to hear in the 'family' language, yelling, cussing, f-words. I telling you if that's the rejection criteria, we just lost a lot of believers.

I think, as they have said, their primary purpose is probably to "become a successful band." And they are willing to walk the edge of propriety to get thier audience. My gut feeling is that they are a 'bridge band' to a christian message.

But it really doesn't matter so far, because guys (and ladies) like me are using the feelings generated by the band to evangelize the audience they are appealing to. I passed out some pretty good gospel messages tracts that I made myself at their session in Seattle this weekend (380 of 'em, not counting the ones that were thrown away), and got quite a few inquiries. There is something in the music and the lyrics that is striking a needy cord God can use.

Upvote 0

Techbot

blah, blah, blah...
Sep 1, 2003
Houston,TX area
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
desper84unity said:
Well, cussing is bad. But I notice when I finally get to know a Chrisitan family really well, like level 9, guess what you get to hear in the 'family' language, yelling, cussing, f-words. I telling you if that's the rejection criteria, we just lost a lot of believers.

I think, as they have said, their primary purpose is probably to "become a successful band." And they are willing to walk the edge of propriety to get thier audience. My gut feeling is that they are a 'bridge band' to a christian message.

But it really doesn't matter so far, because guys (and ladies) like me are using the feelings generated by the band to evangelize the audience they are appealing to. I passed out some pretty good gospel messages tracts that I made myself at their session in Seattle this weekend (380 of 'em, not counting the ones that were thrown away), and got quite a few inquiries. There is something in the music and the lyrics that is striking a needy cord God can use.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Words still slip out of my mouth too. The hazards of being a human sinner. But in front of an audience of thousands, in the public eye, with people there who believe that you are an instrument of God...it's not only uncalled for, but damaging. If great pastors like John Osteen, Jesse Duplantis and such let cursing slip from their mouths on stage or on camera, their ministry would be in the toilet in a heartbeat. People tend to hold christian band members to the same standard as preachers since they are singing about God.

Upvote 0

Unfathomable

Just Seeking the Truth
Sep 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟133.00
I actually read an interview with them...in Entertainment Weekly, maybe, where they sort of ridiculed the fact that their cd was being sold in Christian stores. I don't feel they are trying to be a Christian band. Their lyrics seem somewhat spiritual (I have the cd - I've enjoyed their sound), but that could be them just wanting to write songs on a deeper level. Still, in the interview, they said they were not a Christian band and they thought it was real funny that their cd had popped up in Christian stores.

Upvote 0

Techbot

blah, blah, blah...
Sep 1, 2003
Houston,TX area
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Unfathomable said:
I actually read an interview with them...in Entertainment Weekly, maybe, where they sort of ridiculed the fact that their cd was being sold in Christian stores. I don't feel they are trying to be a Christian band. Their lyrics seem somewhat spiritual (I have the cd - I've enjoyed their sound), but that could be them just wanting to write songs on a deeper level. Still, in the interview, they said they were not a Christian band and they thought it was real funny that their cd had popped up in Christian stores.

Yeah, the same thing happened to Collective Soul when they first appeared. At first glance their lyrics have spiritual overtones.

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I write songs, so I guess thats good enough for me to type my opinion...

I am a major fan of evanescence. I love thier lyrics, and it really helps me out when/if I get depressed. They're music is very spiritual, but I can honestly say that I truly do not beleive that they are not a "christian" band.

I put evenescence in the same category as creed.

Both bands use extreme metaphors (creed more so) and both bands seem very spiritual or religious. Yet use of Gods word is thin, if existant at all.

But yeah, thats my opinion. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FoogieFighter

Sep 13, 2003
A House
Visit site
✟164.00
Faith
Christian
If you look at the music Vid Going under you would think that they are somewhat gothic. they aren't their music mabey a little sad in some of them but they write those lyrics to help people get through the hard times in life. Yea I know that's what gods for but for some people music helps them also. I know every time I hear the song My Immortal I get goosebumps!

Upvote 0