Visit site
✟7,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Since I was 8 yrs old I've been a "do it all person" right along side my parents and siblings. Next year I want to go away to a university and who knows from there, but I feel by leaving them I'm somehow betraying them. People in the church keep on telling me that I can't leave when my ministry is right here. It just makes me feel so guilty. Can anyone give me some experience you've had. :confused:

Aceybee

Jun 30, 2004
✟15,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, been there.. I went to uni, and the churches had to survive.. I think its good for them, as they have to realise that they aren't dependant on you to keep running.. it may leave a spot for some other people to step up to the plate.. You need to follow God's plan for your life, not theirs.. The thing I found hard and you might have to watch out for is being so involved then going to uni and not being as involved in the church is a huge step and its quite hard to begin with- you aren't automatically a helper..
I know its hard to leave them, but I'd say do it. You'd probably end up resenting the people who went to uni, and possibly the ministry you stayed behind to do if you really want to go to uni, but don't and that probably isn't going to help.
But yeah.. follow where you feel God leading.. You should have no obligation to stay there beyond what God has called you to do..

Upvote 0

yemsot

May 24, 2007
✟15,331.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a good thing you're going away. That will even give you the opportunity to spread the gospel of Christ to other part of the world.
When Christ was around, He did not stay in one place, instead He moved about healing people, and all sorts. The apostles also did not just stay in Jerusalem, they moved about.
So by you going away to the university, you are also going to preach the gospel to people there.
Just always make sure that wherever you are, you are doing the work of the Lord. You are working in the ministry God has given you. And I pray God will be with you.

Upvote 0

Silvestra

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
✟7,662.00
Faith
Christian
I agree and understand, when you are involved with something for long and then leave it, you feel guilty. However, "Change is constant", and experience in the world is the best way to grow as you imbibe a lot of things."

Moreover, as all have said above, others can step in your shoes or you have a chance to spread Gods' word.

Remember, "People have come and gone, but the Gods' word has remained and spread." So, please do not feel guilty, there is no betrayal, as long as you are doing the right thing.

Go ahead with your studies! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mrscplus

Jul 8, 2007
Toronto
✟15,662.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
When I have had to leave situations, and it usually meant being true to where God had called me, my dad, and now my husband gave the same response to the congregation.

to paraphrase"it is because of you, that I am able to be true to what God is calling me to do, without your support, the love and examples you gave me, have brought me to the moment of being able to step out in faith and follow where He is leading". How do they argue with that. Let the see that letting you go, is really making a Kingdom investment.

Upvote 0

godsupergirl

Mar 22, 2007
Visit site
✟7,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for your support. I guess it's just really hard to leave what you have always known, and not feel a little doubt about where you are headed ( to something very different as Sil said). Being home sick is probably going to be a major battle for me.

Upvote 0