Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is soccer so popular everywhere but here in the United States?
It's not really an American sport.

There's lots of kicking involved. Very un-American to kick a ball. We throw, hit and catch here.

Reactions: Babe Ruth
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It's not really an American sport.

There's lots of kicking involved. Very un-American to kick a ball. We throw, hit and catch here.
I notice you use your heads sometimes, too.

• Haha
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Its gaining in popularity. When kids play it in their youth they’ll typically watch the professional games as an adult.
I've never paid much attention to soccer, but I was watching it a few minutes ago and found it interesting. Do the rectangles in front of the goal have any significance? Does the end line have any significance? Do the sidelines have any significance?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,279,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If a offensive player is in the rectangle in front of the goal without the ball he is flagged as off sides.

If an offensive player kicks the ball out of bound through the end line like if they miss a goal and it goes out of bounds then the goalie brings the ball back into play. But if a defensive player kicks the ball out of bounds through the end line to stop play to avoid the opposing team opportunities from making attempts at their goal then the offensive team get to make a corner kick.

The side lines are like any other sport where the team who didn't kick it out of bounds gets to bring the ball back into play.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
If a offensive player is in the rectangle in front of the goal without the ball he is flagged as off sides.

If an offensive player kicks the ball out of bound through the end line like if they miss a goal and it goes out of bounds then the goalie brings the ball back into play. But if a defensive player kicks the ball out of bounds through the end line to stop play to avoid the opposing team opportunities from making attempts at their goal then the offensive team get to make a corner kick.

The side lines are like any other sport where the team who didn't kick it out of bounds gets to bring the ball back into play.
Thanks. There are two rectangles in front of each goal, a big one and a little one. I assume you were talking about the little one. What is the significance of the big rectangle?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,279,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks. There are two rectangles in front of each goal, a big one and a little one. I assume you were talking about the little one. What is the significance of the big rectangle?
I believe that's the full area that the goalie can use his hands handling the ball in play.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I notice you use your heads sometimes, too.
Think of it. We do kick the ball in American Football. However, it represents failure. Kicking a field goal means you could not score a TD. Punting means you failed to get a first down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Think of it. We do kick the ball in American Football. However, it represents failure. Kicking a field goal means you could not score a TD. Punting means you failed to get a first down.
But, then, if you are good at kicking or punting the ball, they pay you a lot of money.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟458,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Offsides is different. The small box, 6 yards by 20 yards, is the goal area. If the offense kicks the ball over the end line, the defense can place the ball anywhere within the box to kick it back into play (a goal kick). Also, if the offense commits a foul in the goal box resulting in the defenders getting a free kick, they can play the ball from anywhere within the box. That's an exception to the norm where a free kick is played from the spot where the infraction occurred.

Finally, if the offensive team is awarded an indirect free kick in the goal area, it's taken on the line that is 20 yards long at the point closest to where the foul occurs.

With regards to the big area, in addition to being the area where the goalie can play the ball with his hands, it is also the area where a significant foul by the defense results in the offense getting to take a free shot from the penalty spot. (no defenders, only the shooter and the keeper).

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IN football, KICKING OFF could mean you just scored a touchdown or field goal; of course it could just be the start of a half...

Kicking an extra point is not a failure if you MAKE IT.

After scoring a SAFETY - that team recieves a free kick, I think -- or is it the other way around?

But yeah, generally punting means you failed to get a first down, kicking a field goal means you bogged down and didn't score a touchdown

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
IN football, KICKING OFF could mean you just scored a touchdown or field goal; of course it could just be the start of a half...

Kicking an extra point is not a failure if you MAKE IT.

After scoring a SAFETY - that team recieves a free kick, I think -- or is it the other way around?

But yeah, generally punting means you failed to get a first down, kicking a field goal means you bogged down and didn't score a touchdown
Sometimes a field goal is all you need (down by one, three seconds remaining). After scoring a safety, the team that got the two points then receives the kick, or punt, from the twenty yard line.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why is soccer so popular everywhere but here in the United States?
I think because the other version of 'futbol' is more popular and brings in more money. The NFL industry is a major cash flowing industry for the US.

Although, soccer taken as a religion in most other countries, also, bring in large amounts of money...

Also, football cost a lot of money to get together and play. Soccer, on the other hand, only needs two sticks and a ball to get a game going.
Just my thoughts.
In peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paralambano

Oct 15, 2019
Ontario
✟7,920.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, soccer's not very popular in Canada as well. It's not that popular professionally in several other places too (i.e. India).

It's a transplanted, not a North American-invented sport, the latter which would more likely take root in North America from the get-go.

Also, the idea of American exceptionalism which in such a large market would have American sports thought of as superior somehow by gatekeepers and fans who have years of North American sports ingrained in them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0