Life Warrior

Disciple of Yeshua
Feb 11, 2013
✟15,241.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are there so many christians who think that every man or woman of God is a heretic? There's heaps of websites devoted to discrediting every teacher from Benny Hinn to Todd Bentley to everyone who is well known.

I've noticed alot of the websites seem to be run by baptists (I don't have anything against baptists btw). But maybe their upbringing has something to do with their views on miracles, being slain in the Spirit etc.

Any thoughts? :confused:

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Why are there so many christians who think that every man or woman of God is a heretic? There's heaps of websites devoted to discrediting every teacher from Benny Hinn to Todd Bentley to everyone who is well known.

I've noticed alot of the websites seem to be run by baptists (I don't have anything against baptists btw). But maybe their upbringing has something to do with their views on miracles, being slain in the Spirit etc.

Traditions and doctrins are King among the denominations . They are right and everyone else is wrong .

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟573,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My experience is that the heresy hunter is the least qualified to determine who is and who is not a heretic. 99% of the time he is so bound up in heresy himself that he could not tell a heretic if one came up and bit him.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some people get obsessed about it but there is definitely some ungodly stuff coming out of those ministries you mentioned

Benny Hinn puts a curse on people - YouTube

Todd Bentley's Wife is Demon Possessed - YouTube

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You ever consider the other side of the coin that these people might be telling the truth?

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My experience is that the heresy hunter is the least qualified to determine who is and who is not a heretic. 99% of the time he is so bound up in heresy himself that he could not tell a heretic if one came up and bit him.

Agreed!

:)

Upvote 0

Life Warrior

Disciple of Yeshua
Feb 11, 2013
✟15,241.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You ever consider the other side of the coin that these people might be telling the truth?

That everyone realy IS a heretic?? Or that the pastors which I mentioned in the OP are telling the truth?

I'm realy not sure about much these days.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That everyone realy IS a heretic?? Or that the pastors which I mentioned in the OP are telling the truth?

I'm realy not sure about much these days.

Nobody is saying EVERYONE is a heretic. No need to be so dramatic.

But when one is living in a time where we are told that many in the church will heap up for themselves teachers who will tickle their ears, rather than speak the truth to them, then expect to find heaps of teachers who are exceedingly popular with many, many followers and who are teaching falsly.

If you aren't seeing them, then there's a problem, but one that can be corrected.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Nobody is saying EVERYONE is a heretic. No need to be so dramatic.

But when one is living in a time where we are told that many in the church will heap up for themselves teachers who will tickle their ears, rather than speak the truth to them, then expect to find heaps of teachers who are exceedingly popular with many, many followers and who are teaching falsly.

If you aren't seeing them, then there's a problem, but one that can be corrected.

How do we know what dispensation we are in?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldDogDiver

Living the Good Life
Nov 27, 2012
Southern California Coast
✟7,831.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

:amen:

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do we know what dispensation we are in?

That's too massive a subject to explain on a forum post. If you want to know then pray to The Lord to open your eyes to what's going on around you.

That's exactly what I did last July concerning a certain area of this very subject, promptly forgot I asked, then suddenly had my mind blown 2 weeks later for weeks (now months) on end, so much so I had to ask why I felt like Neo coming out of the matrix, and that prayer I forgot about completely came back to my mind, then I understood.

Please, I implore you and others to do the same. I could never make one understand through this medium.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,069.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are there so many christians who think that every man or woman of God is a heretic?

That's just it. Maybe they don't think some of the people are men or women of God. Maybe when they see young Christians flocking after mumbo-jumbo teachings they are concerned for them.

Some heresy hunters are wrong and exaggerate things to make their points.

But some are correct.

You mentioned TB. There were several posters here- I remember it well. They posted to counsel caution on TB based on his teachings. That was before he was revealed as an adulterer and everything imploded.

That is an example of Godly and correct 'heresy hunters' on this board. God Bless them. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
That is an example of Godly and correct 'heresy hunters' on this board. God Bless them. :thumbsup:

Well, except for the fact that TB being an adulterer was a lie perpetrated by heresy hunters who simply wanted us to imagine that things were worse than they were. He and his new wife have never confessed to committing adultery while TB was in charge at Lakeland.

They have however, admitted that their relationship developed sooner than it should have (both being godly people in ministry who should have known better). And leave what happened after TB withdrew from ministry unsaid.

The heresy Hunters justify their slander and libel over the technicalities of adultery; using various excuses along the lines of "Well TB lusted with his eyes, which Jesus said is the same as committing adultery" or "He wasn't fully divorced before he began a relationship with the new Mrs. Bentley, which according to my theology is adultery."

And perhaps they are right on the technicalities. But there is no excuse for telling lies about what never happened months before things fell apart, and then perpetrating that lie by pointing out what the guy did later in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,069.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, except for the fact that TB being an adulterer was a lie perpetrated by heresy hunters who simply wanted us to imagine that things were worse than they were.

The 'heresy hunters' here first called out TB on the basis of his teachings.

It was when the adultery came out that others stopped criticising these 'heresy hunters'.

Reactions: Faulty
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
everyone has flaws in their doctrine, but what i dont see is alot of love and compassion for our brothers in these debates. "discernment" is the biggest trap in the body of christ when it turns into venom and hateful division.

Agreed, that we should love and have compassion for our brothers who fall into error, but the bible is very explicit about false teachers and prophets:

2 Peter 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.

We should expose false teachers and false prophets because they bring in destructive heresies. The scripture says not to be in fellowship with a brother who is living in open sin; how much less should we be in fellowship with someone teaching it? We can love them but that doesn't mean to be blind and silent as to what they're doing. Why do you think Jesus railed against the Pharisees?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,069.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
everyone has flaws in their doctrine, but what i dont see is alot of love and compassion for our brothers in these debates. "discernment" is the biggest trap in the body of christ when it turns into venom and hateful division.

Not everyone has flaws in their doctrine though. The apostles teaching was included in the bible because it was flawless. When someone comes with a new teaching it an be checked out against scripture.

I agree we should not use venom.

Upvote 0

GreatistheLord

I can do ALL things through Christ
Mar 14, 2005
✟19,856.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
lismore said:
Not everyone has flaws in their doctrine though. The apostles teaching was included in the bible because it was flawless. When someone comes with a new teaching it an be checked out against scripture.

I agree we should not use venom.

Even paul said we know in part. I believe we will spend eternity understanding the mysteries of God, i think its a mistake
To think we are here to learn and study to perfection, and judge others' belief when we were made to glorify God in our actions and love, Despite our weaknesses.

There is a difference between scripture being inspired, and the writers having perfect theology.

Upvote 0