WI
✟110,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Have you guys/gals tried European chocolate? It has a good taste and a higher quality to chocolate from other places in the world, and typically do not contain artificial colors or flavors. My favorite brands of European chocolate include Schogetten (found at Aldi for under $2.00 in my area for a 3.5 oz or 100 g bar as of December 2023) and Milka.

So, overall, chocolate is not healthy, but European chocolate seems to be made with more natural ingredients. It is good to check if the brand has the Fairtrade label also, even if the stamp of approval does not hold that much weight, as Fairtrade chocolate certifications only help farmer cooperatives, and not the individual farmers themselves, so the co-op leaders may make the most money, while a lowly farmer may not, depending on the co-op. But overall, Fairtrade chocolate somewhat works, as it has lower environmental impact compared to non-fair trade chocolate.

Fairtrade issues: Fair Trade Chocolate: Debunking The Myth - The Chocolate Journalist
Fairtrade somewhat works: Is Fair Trade Chocolate Really Fair? (an Honest Look at the Facts)

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟996,890.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello folks. Have you guys/gals tried European chocolate? It has a good taste and a higher quality to chocolate from other places in the world, and typically do not contain artificial colors or flavors. My favorite brands of European chocolate include Schogetten (found at Aldi for under $2.00 in my area for a 3.5 oz or 100 g bar as of December 2023) and Milka.

So, overall, chocolate is not healthy, but European chocolate seems to be made with more natural ingredients. It is good to check if the brand has the Fairtrade label also, even if the stamp of approval does not hold that much weight, as Fairtrade chocolate certifications only help farmer cooperatives, and not the individual farmers themselves, so the co-op leaders may make the most money, while a lowly farmer may not, depending on the co-op. But overall, Fairtrade chocolate somewhat works, as it has lower environmental impact compared to non-fair trade chocolate.

Fairtrade issues: Fair Trade Chocolate: Debunking The Myth - The Chocolate Journalist
Fairtrade somewhat works: Is Fair Trade Chocolate Really Fair? (an Honest Look at the Facts)
It's not just Europe or fair trading.

Outside of the US, US chocolate has a terrible reputation - particularly the 'Herschy (sp ?) Bar. I've seen videos of US tourists shocked at the taste of Australian chocolate compared to the US version. I've also seen Australian visitors to the US gag on US chocolate.

US manufacturers have a rep for adding a variety of extras as a substitute for real cocoa butter along with a heavy dose of sweeteners.

Here's a range of opinions:

OB

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,935.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just be aware that "European" is not a monolith. Its quite common that the same product of the same brand has different content and taste in various European countries.

So you must also check the specific "made in" to keep it consistent.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,973.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I prefer using extremely bitter baking cocoa powder to make hot chocolate.

I sometimes make it into milk chocolate with milk powder, far healthier than commercial chocolate bars. Not as rich and not as sweet in taste but actually healthy.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not just Europe or fair trading.

Outside of the US, US chocolate has a terrible reputation - particularly the 'Hershy Bar. I've seen videos of US tourists shocked at the taste of Australian chocolate compared to the US version. I've also seen Australian visitors to the US gag on US chocolate.

US manufacturers have a rep for adding a variety of extras as a substitute for real cocoa butter along with a heavy dose of sweeteners.

Here's a range of opinions:

OB
Yeah, I do not like US chocolate, as it tastes excessively sweet, and I am in the US.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to eat cocoa nibs as a snack.

I've discovered chocolate gives me acne flareups, so now I avoid it. It's one of the few foods that seems to cause that for me.
Yeah, some people are allergic to chocolate.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, some people are allergic to chocolate.

It's not really an allergy so much as a sensitivity. There's some evidence chocolate increases the propensity to have acne flareups, though the exact mechanism remains unclear. Actual cocoa contains quite a bit of saturated fat, which generally isn't healthy and is associated with worsening acne, though it also contains antioxidants.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you have a proof for this statement? Saturated fat is natural for our bodies, but not the other materials found in cocoa.

Saturated fat is not an essential fatty acid. The only essential fatty acids are all polyunsaturated fats.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,935.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saturated fat is not an essential fatty acid. The only essential fatty acids are all polyunsaturated fats.
My post was: "Do you have a proof for this statement?" [that saturated fat is not healthy].

And then I said that saturated fat is natural for our body.

Essential means that our body needs it, but cannot produce it. However, our body is able to produce saturated fat, therefore its not considered essential, similarly to glucose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not really an allergy so much as a sensitivity. There's some evidence chocolate increases the propensity to have acne flareups, though the exact mechanism remains unclear. Actual cocoa contains quite a bit of saturated fat, which generally isn't healthy and is associated with worsening acne, though it also contains antioxidants.
Yep. It is always best to refer to the ingredient list, and refer to how much you have, to protect yourself from acne flareups.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟97,200.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Had some Milka a few days ago, and the manufacturer added vanillin (artificial vanilla flavor) to the chocolate. Darn. This version of Milka might be an export variety or a new version. If you want to avoid artificial, Schogetten is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,019,210.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I have it on my marrow bone! Its yummy!

Upvote 0