Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Ephesians 6:10-18

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

10 In conclusion, be strong in the Lord [be empowered through your union with Him]; draw your strength from Him [that strength which His boundless might provides].
11 Put on God’s whole armor [the armor of a heavy-armed soldier which God supplies], that you may be able successfully to stand up against [all] the strategies and the deceits of the devil.
12 For we are not wrestling with flesh and blood [contending only with physical opponents], but against the despotisms, against the powers, against [the master spirits who are] the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spirit forces of wickedness in the heavenly (supernatural) sphere.
13 Therefore put on God’s complete armor, that you may be able to resist and stand your ground on the evil day [of danger],

and, having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place].

14 Stand therefore [hold your ground], having tightened the belt of truth around your loins and having put on the breastplate of integrity and of moral rectitude and right standing with God,
15 And having shod your feet in preparation [to face the enemy with the [a]firm-footed stability, the promptness, and the readiness [b]produced by the good news] of the Gospel of peace.
16 Lift up over all the [covering] shield of [c]saving faith, upon which you can quench all the flaming missiles of the wicked [one].
17 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword that the Spirit [d]wields, which is the Word of God.
18 Pray at all times (on every occasion, in every season) in the Spirit, with all [manner of] prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints (God’s consecrated people).
============================================

A Fight to the Finish​

10-12 And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no weekend war that we’ll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

13-18 Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

• Useful
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."

What is the having done all?
The Amplified version states that it is doing all that the situation demands. I confess that I've never thought about this. However, I can see how that would work. I once was sent a huge tax bill that was way more than I could afford. I was self employed at the time. Rather than passively accepting the bill and trying to pay it off, I went through my claim thoroughly. I could find nothing wrong with my calculations, but I saw that they had overlooked the biggest business expense that I had. A phone call reduced my bill by 90%. I've had a number of incidents where doing nothing would have ended up in disaster.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟108,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."

Putting on the armor is no different then putting on the new man, putting on Christ, putting on charity, putting on kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, long suffering ... a having done all

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟192,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think the phrase "having done all" is talking more about training ourselves in godliness (1 Timothy 4:7)

Having been a Soldier myself, I can tell you, your protective gear and weapons only do so much for you in battle. You have to know how to use them to be truly effective in battle.

So to me, the phrase "having done all" is not referring only to the armor and weapons that Paul is about to describe, but the training with which a believer should undergo in order to use the Armor of God and weapons of our warfare properly.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Think of a farmer with land, seed, water, a tiller, ..... if the seed sits in his barn will it produce a crop? If the water stays in the well or in barrels, will it help any crop grow ? If the tiller sits unused, will it prepare the earth for planting ?
Can the farmer just sit on his couch watching television and expect his crops to produce themselves if he has not "done all" ?

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Amplified Bible
Whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus [and in dependence on Him], giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Upvote 0