English ministers of a bygone era

doctrellor

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would say this...(not to sound too harsh)

if they weren't inspired to be in the bible.. then God obviously didn't need them to be a guide to what our life would be like

so...

instead of wondering what a certain man said, or thier thoughts, how about sticking to the only one that really matters...

The Holy Bible

Upvote 0

GospelStandard

Dec 11, 2006
✟7,729.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I would say this...(not to sound too harsh)

if they weren't inspired to be in the bible.. then God obviously didn't need them to be a guide to what our life would be like

so...

instead of wondering what a certain man said, or thier thoughts, how about sticking to the only one that really matters...

The Holy Bible

Acts 8:26-39 "And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing."

God has promised us teachers and to despise the learning of theose whom he has given to his church to build them up is quite absurd.

Eph 4:11, 12 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:"

Recall that the cry of the Reformation was sola Scriptura not solo Scriptura.

Upvote 0

doctrellor

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
> God has promised us teachers and to despise the
> learning of theose whom he has given to his church to > build them up is quite absurd.

> Eph 4:11, 12 "And he gave some, apostles; and
> some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some,
> pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the
> saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of > the body of Christ:"

> Recall that the cry of the Reformation was sola
> Scriptura not solo Scriptura.

Then follow the pope, he's also an UNINSPIRED MAN. Since you must think that men can do better than God.

I follow what God wants and what the holy spirit has inspired in the Holy Bible

Upvote 0

GospelStandard

Dec 11, 2006
✟7,729.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

As do I but I also value those teacher Christ has given to the Church such as Luther, calvin, Augustine, Spurgeon, Gill, Goodwin, Owen and the other Reformers and Puritans. :)

Upvote 0

doctrellor

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrellor

> As do I but I also value those teacher Christ has given > to the Church such as Luther, calvin, Augustine,
> Spurgeon, Gill, Goodwin, Owen and the other
> Reformers and Puritans. :)

Then why are you mentioning these others people that are not in the bible?

You want to tell me that an ex-catholic priest and others from the reformation & later are supposed to impress me?

Augustine was already way too far past early church father christianity for me to even look towards your point...So no, have you uninspired men's viewpoint, I won't follow you or them...bye

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrellor

> As do I but I also value those teacher Christ has given > to the Church such as Luther, calvin, Augustine,
> Spurgeon, Gill, Goodwin, Owen and the other
> Reformers and Puritans. :)

Then why are you mentioning these others people that are not in the bible?

You want to tell me that an ex-catholic priest and others from the reformation & later are supposed to impress me?

Augustine was already way too far past early church father christianity for me to even look towards your point...So no, have you uninspired men's viewpoint, I won't follow you or them...bye

God promised to give the church teachers, preachers, and evangelists. Do their teachigns, sermons and books carry the weight of Scripture? Of course not! But are they worthy of being read, and can they add to our spiritual growth? Absolutely! To ignore church history and those who have gone before us is utterly foolish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
then have your people who don't carry anything worthy of scripture...

example: Torah vs Talmud

I shall stick to what God has inspired...

So every generation is supposed to ignore all that has come before it and re-create their own theology?

And why is it that you go to church and listen to your pastor, after all isn't that listening to man and not the Bible?

I challenge you to truly stand on your words and never teach, preach, nor listen to teaching or preaching, but only the Bible. If it is not the Bible then it is bad in your opinion. So start living it.

Upvote 0

doctrellor

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
> And why is it that you go to church and listen to your > pastor, after all isn't that listening to man and not the > Bible?

Since I'm a home churcher. I don't GO to church, I AM a PART OF the church..

So I don't worry about some professional speaking what he feels is right.. I go straight to the Holy Bible...

so your arguments get weaker and weaker.. but that is to be expected with those who feel that they need to be fed by uninspired men and have thier views and interpretations dominate over what God and the Holy Spirit intended

we as a royal priesthood have a direct connection with the Lord himself..but you wouldn't know that, since you have your 'pastor' to tell you what you need to know...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums