Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So the ELCA Churchwide Assembly is slated to start next month (August) in Milwaukee. Part of the agenda is electing the Presiding Bishop. Do you think the ELCA should have a change in leadership or stick with Bishop Eaton? I personally do not have any issues with Bishop Eaton, but I would like to see a change to someone with a more concentrated view on how to stem or reverse the membership decline - someone with a heart for missions here at home. I do not know who that could be out of the ELCA leadership, nor have I personally read anything about any contenders to replace Bishop Eaton. Does anyone else have any insight?

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to see a change to someone with a more concentrated view on how to stem or reverse the membership decline

What do you think are the causes of the decline?

1*Iqbkjyny6gJre-bQPe9Bew.png

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are a number of issues, many shared with most Mainline churches. Specifically I would like to see parish and synod plans on reaching out to our communities. Just having a building is not enough any longer - we need to actually reach out to people to ask them to come - to show them what we have to offer. Have a nursery during services? Let the local "mom's" and home school groups know - sometimes families are looking for an hour where they can leave their children in a safe space. Have more programs where men can get together at a local pub to talk theology and family. Reach out to disenchanted Catholics. Reach out to recently divorced people. Actually contact visitors and people that have stopped coming. Just do more!

Lots of that is at the Parish level, but there is more the synods could be doing to encourage and enable the parishes.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was contemplating your post and recollecting the places of worship in my neighborhood in walking distance. A few blocks in either direction.

The majority do little to highlight their presence. Save one. We have the following places of worship:

1 Lutheran
1 Episcopal
3 Non-Denominational
1 Greek Orthodox
1 Anglican
1 Presbyterian
1 Catholic
2 Jewish synagogues

Out of the bunch, only the Greek Orthodox church has an event that involves the community and draws in people from the area. Most rely on word of mouth and foot traffic.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I posted this same question to the ELCA Facebook group and was really lambasted by them for the outreach/missions part so I ended up deleting it and re-posting without that part. Apparently "All are welcome" unless you want our leaders to outline a plan for more outreach in the USA. Their main points were that it is up to us all to outreach, which I agree with, and not something that the Presiding Bishop or our leaders need to work on, which I do not agree with. But I think a serious plan and discussion needs to happen at all levels of the ELCA, clearly what we are doing is not working enough. I also understand that base numbers are not necessarily the most important thing to watch, but to ignore them is to ignore a real problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I posted this same question to the ELCA Facebook group and was really lambasted by them for the outreach/missions part so I ended up deleting it and re-posting without that part. Apparently "All are welcome" unless you want our leaders to outline a plan for more outreach in the USA. Their main points were that it is up to us all to outreach, which I agree with, and not something that the Presiding Bishop or our leaders need to work on, which I do not agree with. But I think a serious plan and discussion needs to happen at all levels of the ELCA, clearly what we are doing is not working enough. I also understand that base numbers are not necessarily the most important thing to watch, but to ignore them is to ignore a real problem.
That was you?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There are a number of issues, many shared with most Mainline churches. Specifically I would like to see parish and synod plans on reaching out to our communities. Just having a building is not enough any longer - we need to actually reach out to people to ask them to come - to show them what we have to offer. Have a nursery during services? Let the local "mom's" and home school groups know - sometimes families are looking for an hour where they can leave their children in a safe space. Have more programs where men can get together at a local pub to talk theology and family. Reach out to disenchanted Catholics. Reach out to recently divorced people. Actually contact visitors and people that have stopped coming. Just do more!

Lots of that is at the Parish level, but there is more the synods could be doing to encourage and enable the parishes.
But what can Churchwide do? Those are all local issues, not Churchwide issues.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was you?
It was, I totally did not expect the backlash I received for what amounts to an opinion. That is why I restated the question without my opinion on the matter. Fortunately the responses that time were helpful, overall.
But what can Churchwide do? Those are all local issues, not Churchwide issues.
I see it as both local and Churchwide. The ELCA, Churchwide, has lost and continues to lose members and congregations. There needs to be an overall strategy to help slow or even reverse this. That does not necessarily mean a top down decree on what to do. What I would envision would be top down studies on what works in congregations that are not seeing these issues as prominently and then a package for congregations that they could use as a tool to help implement these strategies locally. What are these better off congregations doing? What are other denominations doing that has worked, but also does not compromise their identity and faith values? The fact is that our congregations seem to have little contact outside of their area in order to see what other congregations are doing, the Presiding Bishop or Churchwide groups could assist in this conversation. Just acknowledging that there is an issue would be a good start. If you saw that post you also saw people that do not believe it is actually an issue, that we don't need to focus on this. While it should not be the main focus of the ministry, it needs to be discussed - or there will not be an ELCA to discuss it in 20 years. Just asking people to "tell a neighbor" is a nice sentiment and a good start, something anyone can and should do, that is not a strategy.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just curious, what specifically were you criticized for?

It was a typical Internet forum conversation issue. Basically the users thought that missions is a personal issue, something that we all need to do and not an issue that the Presiding Bishop needs to address. That is a valid opinion, but people can have differing opinions without the conversation devolving into mean posts. I of course agree that missions is something we all need to do, that it is each person and each parish's responsibility. But why the Presiding Bishop should not help and come up with a plan is beyond me. As of now the ELCA seems to just ignore the crisis that is at the door, IMO.

Likely if I were talking to someone in person it could be discussed amicably, but as it was on a forum people just post one liners of their opinion and buzz by. But such is the issue with conversation such as these.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was a typical Internet forum conversation issue. Basically the users thought that missions is a personal issue, something that we all need to do and not an issue that the Presiding Bishop needs to address..

Perhaps the disconnect you're feeling is also being felt by Marc Kolden of Luther Seminary when he wrote:

"When the three "statements for consideration" on mission from the ELCA Church Council are put alongside either the Constitutional Catechism or my little summary, they look rather partial and uninfluenced by the perennial views of the church's mission. Words such as "gospel", "proclamation", "witness", "faith", and "salvation" are never mentioned, while trendy terms such as "celebrating diversity", "advocating for justice and peace", and "embodying his [Christ's] example" are given prominence. I'm for justice and peace and diversity, and I believe that they need to be part of the church's life, but I do not think they get at the unique and essential mission of the church. "

https://download.elca.org/ELCA Resource Repository/Reflections_Mission.pdf

Perhaps the issue is that at an institutional level, those in charge of the ELCA have replaced what you envision as the churches mission - which most Chrisitans I think would agree is the Great Commission - with something else...and that as a result, those attracted to that new vision do not see the value in the old.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,158,859.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The big surprise in the chart is the decline in LCMS / WELS. So it doesn't look like liberal vs conservative. My theory is that people are looking for excitement, and that mainline churches, and also LCMS, are too academic in theology and kind of an unexciting middle road in worship, with neither the excitement of Pentecostals or the full tradition of Catholics and EO.

The same problem exists with PCUSA and Methodists. The main difference is that PCUSA is also losing to our conservative wing. But the Lutherans have been split longer than we have been. I've always wondered whether conservative Presbyterians would hold up once everybody who is offended by acceptance of gays transfers. Lutheran experience suggests not.

It's possible for a traditional church to do OK. There are individual churches that are, some of them liberal. But they have to be more willing to get involved in the community and experiment with worship than most of our churches are. I think the same is likely true of ELCA. It's hard to understand why leadership doesn't see the handwriting on the wall.

• Useful
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps the disconnect you're feeling is also being felt by Marc Kolden of Luther Seminary when he wrote:

"When the three "statements for consideration" on mission from the ELCA Church Council are put alongside either the Constitutional Catechism or my little summary, they look rather partial and uninfluenced by the perennial views of the church's mission. Words such as "gospel", "proclamation", "witness", "faith", and "salvation" are never mentioned, while trendy terms such as "celebrating diversity", "advocating for justice and peace", and "embodying his [Christ's] example" are given prominence. I'm for justice and peace and diversity, and I believe that they need to be part of the church's life, but I do not think they get at the unique and essential mission of the church. "

https://download.elca.org/ELCA Resource Repository/Reflections_Mission.pdf

Perhaps the issue is that at an institutional level, those in charge of the ELCA have replaced what you envision as the churches mission - which most Chrisitans I think would agree is the Great Commission - with something else...and that as a result, those attracted to that new vision do not see the value in the old.

I would say that overall I agree with Marc Kolden's statement. However, I would not agree that "those attracted to that new vision do not see the value in the old." Not seeing value and emphasizing a different value are not necessarily the same thing. That said, I do believe that the Presiding Bishop (and others in charge) need to at least put some additional focus on missions. Local synods and parishes need to put a focus on it.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums