Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I tend to view Moses as the author of the Pentateuch, including Genesis. And with that, Genesis is theological revelation, coated in an ancient near eastern temple inauguration text.

I don't think Genesis originated with Adam and Eve. Because Adam and Eve are Hebrew names, Hebrew words. Hebrew didn't even exist at the dawn of time.

And Genesis holds many similarities with neighboring cultures temple construction and inauguration texts.
Here are a few examples of ancient near east temple texts to compare with Genesis:

House of the anuna gods possessing great power, which gives wisdom to the people, house, reposeful dwelling of the great gods! House, which was planned together with a plans of heaven and Earth. House which underpins the Land and supports the shrines! -Sumerian Temple Hymn of Kes.

When Anu, Enlil, and Ea had a first idea of heaven and Earth, that they found a wise means of providing support for the gods: They prepared, in the land, a pleasant dwelling. And the gods were installed in this dwelling: their principal Temple. Then they entrusted to the king the responsibility of assuring them their regular choice offerings. and for the feast of the gods, they established the required food offering! The gods loved this dwelling!
-akkadian prayer, temple dedication.

Gudea, you were building my house for me, and were having The offices perform to perfection for me, You had my house shine for me, like Utu and heaven's midst, separating. Like a lofty foothill range, heaven from Earth.

He adorns Her with the covering of Her flesh.
She tears Her clothing.
On the second day
He adorns Her in the two rivers.
She sets a pot on the fire
A vessel on top of the coals.
Behold a day and a second,
The fire eats into the house,
The flame into the palace.
A fifth, a sixth day,
The fire eats into the house,
The flame in the midst of the palace.
Behold, on the seventh day,
The fire departs from the house,
The flame from the palace.
Silver turns from blocks,
Gold is turned from bricks.
-baal cycle

And that's why God rests on the 7th day. See Isaiah 66:1-2 and Psalm 132 (NIV translation).

God rests on His throne. Heaven and Earth make his throne and footstool of His cosmic temple. And Adam and Eve are the first priests.

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟205,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend to view Moses as the author of the Pentateuch, including Genesis. And with that, Genesis is theological revelation, coated in an ancient near eastern temple inauguration text.

I don't think Genesis originated with Adam and Eve. Because Adam and Eve are Hebrew names, Hebrew words. Hebrew didn't even exist at the dawn of time.

And Genesis holds many similarities with neighboring cultures temple construction and inauguration texts.
I agree with you that it is unlikely that Adam and Eve were called anything that could be phonetically matched to what we read in English, or Greek or Hebrew. However, the languages were all scrambled in Genesis 10 at the Tower of Babel, so you could legitimately expect that any name in the Bible before the time period of about Abraham could have different phonetic names.

From the Sumerian King list he might be Alulim.
From the Egyptians he might be Imikhet.

(Interestingly, there is an early Assyrian king named Adamu, but this was a post-flood king)

Upvote 0