• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

eating disorder for a 15 year old?

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Can someone define an erratic eating pattern vs. an eating disorder?
Today my daughter had an ensure for breakfast,
nothing for lunch
came home from school and had a toaster strudel
I made a good meal she would like but she says she's "not in the mood" or "not hungry"

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi SV,

Sometimes anorexia and/or bulimia commence this way; other times it can be Teens feeling unwell as a result of Monthlies.

However, I know and share your concern given that I have had (two) close Family Members both with Anorexia and Bulimia at different times during their Lives. Aunty and Neice; identical in dispositions, similar with what triggered the conditions most sadly. Genetic: anxiety with both, assaulted both while living different lives and 30 year age gap so not any link in that way.

Now, early treatment to catch this condition is vital!

Before she gets into behavioural patterns that become deep seated and shockingly difficult to remove in future years.

If your Daughter is diagnosed with the condition, there are C.D's by an Australian woman who is a Psychologist whom happened to suffer from the conditions. Anorexia and Bulimia C.D's that has greatly assisted one of my relatives.

However, it was not until my relative opened up her Heart to Jesus and Our Lady Mary for God's Loving Intercession that she commenced her road to recovery.

Given many people suffering from anorexia and or bulimia hide their problem initially, particularly during their teenage years, I would advise you to book her into your G.P. and watch what she does after consuming a meal, without saying anything at first. See if she regularly weighs herself. You can usually set up some little indicators around the scales to see if the scales have been moved etc. Looking at her image in the mirror particularly body image (though many teens do this without having anorexia anyway).

Watch for a couple of weeks, because she may not have bulimia. It may be anorexia. Watch to see if she commences exercising (many don't) (many do) or taking laxatives initially. This is a dreadful thing to say and I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings (I have been through this with my close relative) but you will know if she commences using the Loo a great deal if she has bulimia SV,

I had anorexia when 21 years of age for about two years until someone handed me a photo of myself and a few people (kind friends) informed me that I looked ugly in the face. Which hurt greatly although a wake up call!

25 years later over exercising and a separation triggered it again (my Children grown up by now) for a 3 year period never bulimia though.

I do believe anxiety is a trigger, depression, feeling low caused by previous bullying in one's life, assaults, deaths and grief, all sorts of life stressors, trigger various conditions, ailments and disorders. We all go through something and exhibit something at different periods during our lives.

Handing over everything to Jesus while fully trusting in Him and opening up our Hearts to Him to heal our Loved Ones if they wont pray themselves is the solution!

Our Lady Mary has interceded on everything in relation to my Children now grown up and I wish the same for you!

Kindest wishes

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I ate like that in my teens. It was usually about control -- having an area of my life that no one else was dictating. Or enjoying the ability to control outcomes through self-discipline.

To me at that time, I was proud of being able to resist temptation. I fasted a lot, quietly. So in her mind, she might be working very hard to do something she believes is good -- even though from the outside, it appears detrimental.

After my own experiences, and parental overreaction, I would be hesitant to jump in and drastically try to change someone's eating pattern. If it is about feeling the need to have some control in life, then determined intrusion will give her even less management of her life. Mine developed during a cultish time at our church, and I had no support system that wasn't tied in with the same.

My mother approached it with panic, put me on an eating regimen, and I felt completely powerless and overtaken.

She might just be coping.

I know that health officials would say the opposite, and that CF rules prevent us from giving medical or psychological advice. So I would just suggest that the concerns not be expressed as fears, and that you can find ways to make her feel like a capable almost-adult.

Talk to her about things she will need to decide in the coming years: apartments, schooling, jobs...and give her more confidence about diving into the vast world of decisions and risks.

Upvote 0

SHETALKSTOANGELS

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
NY
✟1,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
As a person with an eating disorder for more than half my life, it could go either way. When I was # I weighed # pounds and got it into my stupid head that I was ' too fat ', went low carb for a week, dropped # pounds, and immediately put them back on as soon as the Ronzoni came to the table.

Just keep an eye open, it could be a teenage thing, something worrying her or the start of an eating disorder, which is far easier to heal if caught early.
Good luck and God Bless.

:amen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0