Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know that for some Christians, Dragon Ball Super can be controversial, given that the new level of power is considered "divine," elevating Goku to the status of a deity. Does this bother you? How I see it is that it is a mere story, similar to Greek and Germanic mythologies. Besides, Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue is nothing comparable to what God is like in the Bible. So I make those distinctions, but I know some are convicted about it.

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It’s an unconventional use of language in my opinion, but even the Bible uses “god” in forms that we might see as strange today, like describing Satan as “the god of this world,” or even the use of God in psalm 82:

God presides in the great assembly; he renders judgment among the gods. . .

. . . The gods know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

“I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High. “But you will die like mere mortals; you will fall like every other ruler.”
There’s no big G little g in the old books, it’s something we add for the sake of trying to convey the Bibles meaning right.

There are many out of fashion uses for the word God that land outside of our cultural bubble, especially so when dealing with media from Japan, so don’t let church people ruin your love of anime over that.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟391,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Examples of how entertainment adversely affects people, especially Christians:
  • Distance from God/other gods taking precedence (first commandment).
  • Fandom, in the least. Idolatry, in the most (second commandment).
  • Materialism. Covetousness (10th commandment).
  • Lukewarmness (warned of in Revelation).
  • Acceptance/celebration of abominations or sins in entertainment form.
  • Loving the world/becoming invested in worldly things.
  • Attempting to serve two masters. You'll hate one and love the other.
  • Denial. The idea that it's harmless, when it has long-lasting impact.
Entertainment is one of Satan's most cleverly devised snares.

In my own mind, I think of God sitting on the couch with me and watching this professed cartoon deity. What would God's reaction be? Would He sit there and enjoy the show or would He frown and be disappointed. I think the answer is found in God's character, as found in scripture. His commandments reflect His character.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

• Useful
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know that for some Christians, Dragon Ball Super can be controversial, given that the new level of power is considered "divine," elevating Goku to the status of a deity. Does this bother you? How I see it is that it is a mere story, similar to Greek and Germanic mythologies. Besides, Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue is nothing comparable to what God is like in the Bible. So I make those distinctions, but I know some are convicted about it.
It's just a cheap power-up, Goku doesn't even have divine powers.

• Agree
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's just a cheap power-up, Goku doesn't even have divine powers.

I agree, I thought it was a lame power up. Toriyama should not have given it the name "Super Saiyan God," but simply "Saiyan God," so they wouldn't have to give "Blue" a new name.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
God power level is just an expression to me. Goku isn't creating life or setting down the law, he's hitting harder than before.
Oh yeah!! I agree.

Upvote 0

TruthInLight

Sep 28, 2018
Portland
✟34,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
How I see it is that it is a mere story, similar to Greek and Germanic mythologies. Besides, Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue is nothing comparable to what God is like in the Bible.

Mythologies derive from something that is real.

The bible says to not worship other gods besides the true one, the God who sent Jesus Christ to die on the cross for people's sins.

I suspect that the saiyans/saiyajins are inspired by the biblical Assyrians.

Upvote 0

TruthInLight

Sep 28, 2018
Portland
✟34,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
It’s an unconventional use of language in my opinion, but even the Bible uses “god” in forms that we might see as strange today, like describing Satan as “the god of this world,” or even the use of God in psalm 82:

God presides in the great assembly; he renders judgment among the gods. . .

. . . The gods know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

“I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High. “But you will die like mere mortals; you will fall like every other ruler.”
There’s no big G little g in the old books, it’s something we add for the sake of trying to convey the Bibles meaning right.

I hear about that over and over. I don't put emphasis on the big G and little G thing. So many deceivers have gone out into the world using God with the capital G.

Examples of how entertainment adversely affects people, especially Christians:
  • Distance from God/other gods taking precedence (first commandment).
  • Fandom, in the least. Idolatry, in the most (second commandment).
  • Materialism. Covetousness (10th commandment).
  • Lukewarmness (warned of in Revelation).
  • Acceptance/celebration of abominations or sins in entertainment form.
  • Loving the world/becoming invested in worldly things.
  • Attempting to serve two masters. You'll hate one and love the other.
  • Denial. The idea that it's harmless, when it has long-lasting impact.
Entertainment is one of Satan's most cleverly devised snares.

In my own mind, I think of God sitting on the couch with me and watching this professed cartoon deity. What would God's reaction be? Would He sit there and enjoy the show or would He frown and be disappointed. I think the answer is found in God's character, as found in scripture. His commandments reflect His character.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

The bible does talk about balance. There's a lot to go over with that.

Satan does things that are an imitation of God and twist things to take away glory from God. Television, or whatever you want to call it, and things in this world are a knock-off of things in the world that followers of Christ seek to make it to. They're used for rebellion against God/Jesus Christ.

Satan's devices can be used against him and things can be used or done for the glory of God. The book of Esther is an example of using the device of the wicked back against the wicked. Nothing is impossible with God. There are things in anime that can be used for the glory of God. There are things in anime that do show the love of God, you have to be able to look/search for them. It's best when you can do things with a balance, the right balance that is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums