• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Don't let them tell you, they have seen your future - illness is for a season, not every season

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So yes, I have struggled with a diagnosis of my schizophrenia, for years. One thing that made it particularly difficult, was that the treating team (the psychiatrist and his nurses) would say "you will have this condition for the rest of your life", as if the Day I reach Heaven, I would find no escape - from the schizophrenia that no longer pleased God. I say that no longer pleased God, because I believe some of my schizophrenia does please Him and it is for this reason, that I must struggle with it. The complication comes when a mere man (the psychiatrist) decides to take upon himself, to play "God".

Schizophrenia, like almost any mental health condition, is for a season, not every season. It can be quite aggressive when you are young; quite vexing when you are older - but in no sense completely overwhelming, certainly not if you allow the Holy Spirit to guide you through your experience of most of it. God is not interested in condemning to Hell a mental health condition that has some bad traits and some good traits - that's what our struggle on Earth is all about, when our mind works differently to others. Would others cope in future, if we did not accept our burden? In some cases "yes", in other cases "no" - but would they cope as much? Or with as much strength? The answer is "no" and mostly "no".

The point is to learn from God. The psychiatrist that deplores God, that he would rather give a life-long prognosis will suffer God's wrath. It is learning to trust God, in what He teaches, that we not enter into that wrath, but rather be delivered by the sincerity and worthiness of God's Spirit. In the flesh you will get weary, in the flesh you will slow down, but if your trust is in God and what He taught you, you will not be vulnerable "for the sake of it", in the overcoming of your condition - and the realisation of the Joy of God, through the "trial".

In the end you will master it! In the end, you will be able to look back and say "in the end, I knew when too much was too much, when what I suffered was not what God wanted me to endure". This will be cause for you to leap for joy! You will be preserved in the shadow of God's wings and never again asked to manifest illness, so as to prove an earthly man's point. You will go from Day to Day, never doubting that the end of your condition was coming - all ties to your spirit will fade away into the splendour of God revealing His Goodness, to you.

Say it to yourself "from this day on I declare, whatever my mental health condition may be, it will not rule me, though I wait long for the Lord to bring it to an end"; say it and be blessed, for your Lord, Jesus, wants this for you too.

God bless.

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟405,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,

So yes, I have struggled with a diagnosis of my schizophrenia, for years. One thing that made it particularly difficult, was that the treating team (the psychiatrist and his nurses) would say "you will have this condition for the rest of your life", as if the Day I reach Heaven, I would find no escape - from the schizophrenia that no longer pleased God. I say that no longer pleased God, because I believe some of my schizophrenia does please Him and it is for this reason, that I must struggle with it. The complication comes when a mere man (the psychiatrist) decides to take upon himself, to play "God".

Schizophrenia, like almost any mental health condition, is for a season, not every season. It can be quite aggressive when you are young; quite vexing when you are older - but in no sense completely overwhelming, certainly not if you allow the Holy Spirit to guide you through your experience of most of it. God is not interested in condemning to Hell a mental health condition that has some bad traits and some good traits - that's what our struggle on Earth is all about, when our mind works differently to others. Would others cope in future, if we did not accept our burden? In some cases "yes", in other cases "no" - but would they cope as much? Or with as much strength? The answer is "no" and mostly "no".

The point is to learn from God. The psychiatrist that deplores God, that he would rather give a life-long prognosis will suffer God's wrath. It is learning to trust God, in what He teaches, that we not enter into that wrath, but rather be delivered by the sincerity and worthiness of God's Spirit. In the flesh you will get weary, in the flesh you will slow down, but if your trust is in God and what He taught you, you will not be vulnerable "for the sake of it", in the overcoming of your condition - and the realisation of the Joy of God, through the "trial".

In the end you will master it! In the end, you will be able to look back and say "in the end, I knew when too much was too much, when what I suffered was not what God wanted me to endure". This will be cause for you to leap for joy! You will be preserved in the shadow of God's wings and never again asked to manifest illness, so as to prove an earthly man's point. You will go from Day to Day, never doubting that the end of your condition was coming - all ties to your spirit will fade away into the splendour of God revealing His Goodness, to you.

Say it to yourself "from this day on I declare, whatever my mental health condition may be, it will not rule me, though I wait long for the Lord to bring it to an end"; say it and be blessed, for your Lord, Jesus, wants this for you too.

God bless.
I am also diagnosed Schizoaffective and I have been diagnosed for almost 10 years now and I agree. Sometimes I hear negative things but the beauty is sometimes I hear the Holy Spirit and the great thing is that those who aren't diagnosed can hear The Holy Spirit, does anyone really believe that God would allow only bad to talk to his children? NO! The Holy Spirit also talks to us. He has helped me through all of it and I am truly grateful.

Thank you for sharing.

It's true I thought I would be stuck forever in a negative place but now I've had great jobs and great experiences and I love the life Jesus has provided for me. No regrets I feel stronger than most for what I've experienced.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
So you are saying that you only have a problem for this life and no farther?

I am saying "this life, is affected by schizophrenia; not every life"

In Heaven, I will have a new life, that will not be negatively affected by schizophrenia in the past life, in principle.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟432,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see that and agree. Great way to look at it. Me too now. What is it counting everything in this life as garbage, and everything but Christ that you have given up. And hating everything in your own life, except for Christ. That puts you on the right track. Jesus caught my fall that way. 58 years and counting. It’s not been all bad. Like getting to defeat it every day and growing from helpless to useful. Keep plugging away pal. There’s hope in it and after it.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0