Does God have three distinct gospels, or "three in one"? . . . or?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟590,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus preached "the gospel of the kingdom" and Paul preached "the gospel of grace" and John the Baptist preached "the gospel of baptism for the repentance of sins". Do you see any differences between these three or are they identical?
I am sure I am not the only one with ideas about this :) So, I plan to wait a little, while anyone else cares to share about this.

Do you think the gospel of God's kingdom, the gospel of grace, and the gospel of baptism for repentance for the remission of sins are all the same gospel? Or, are they totally different from one another? Or, might the three be triune with each other? Or . . . something else?

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am sure I am not the only one with ideas about this :) So, I plan to wait a little, while anyone else cares to share about this.

Do you think the gospel of God's kingdom, the gospel of grace, and the gospel of baptism for repentance for the remission of sins are all the same gospel? Or, are they totally different from one another? Or, might the three be triune with each other? Or . . . something else?

Gal 1:6-9 says there is only ONE Gospel - and Gal 3:8 says that same one-and-only Gospel "was preached to Abraham"

Matt 24 says "THIS Gospel of the kindgom will be preached in all the world and then will the end come".

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,172,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As you can see below Christ said to us they are all the Gospel, together.

The Gospel is repentance (and baptism), from and of faith, into the Kingdom, and that's a profound act of God's grace for us through Christ.

Grace through faith (instead of works) as the basis for salvation, into the Kingdom: John 6:29 Jesus replied, "The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent." (Just like Ephesians 2:8-9)

Repentance and baptism:
Matthew 4:17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."
Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,

Of course, repentance and baptism are to be acts of faith, and Grace comes through faith.

It's all 1 gospel, from the start, and all the time.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's all one and the same gospel: Jesus died to save from condemnation those who believe in him and trust on his sacrifice for the remission of their sin and right standing with God's justice; i.e., "not guilty."

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟946,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Kingdom
Grace
Baptism

All part of soteriology.

Our King has a Kingdom and we as Christians are His subjects, the elect, the chosen. He extended His grace to humanity so that all can know Him. His grace with our faith gives us the Holy Spirit Baptism.

So all connected even with types and shadows.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟377,582.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thus, if one was baptized by John the Baptist for the repentance of his sins, that baptism was the same as Christian baptism.

If so, why did Paul rebaptize the twelve disciples of John the Baptist?

Acts 19:1 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 2 He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 There were in all about twelve men.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

They're the same gospel. We should expect the reality of the gospel to be rich enough (deep enough) to be explicable in more than one way. Language and concepts can only capture so much of reality, even when they're very precise.

Related: If you ever want to show where Jesus teaches the gospel of grace we often associate with Paul, use the "Rich Young Ruler." Mark 10: 17-30

1. Jesus's statement that "No one is good but God alone" is logically equivalent to Paul's statement that "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." They mean the same thing.

2. When the disciples ask, "Who can be saved?" Jesus replies, "For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible." That's another way of saying, salvation is by grace.

3. When Peter points out that they have left everything to follow Jesus, Jesus basically replies that whatever they have left or lost will be restored beyond whatever it was. Jesus does not explain how that works, or give any kind of supporting argument. He essentially says, "Have faith."

That's the gospel Paul proclaimed in a nutshell. All have fallen short, God's grace saves, and have faith.

I'm familiar with attempts to find different gospels in the scriptures, but I find continuity and depth, instead.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟377,582.00
Faith
Non-Denom
They're the same gospel. We should expect the reality of the gospel to be rich enough (deep enough) to be explicable in more than one way. Language and concepts can only capture so much of reality, even when they're very precise.

Related: If you ever want to show where Jesus teaches the gospel of grace we often associate with Paul, use the "Rich Young Ruler." Mark 10: 17-30

1. Jesus's statement that "No one is good but God alone" is logically equivalent to Paul's statement that "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." They mean the same thing.

2. When the disciples ask, "Who can be saved?" Jesus replies, "For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible." That's another way of saying, salvation is by grace.

3. When Peter points out that they have left everything to follow Jesus, Jesus basically replies that whatever they have left or lost will be restored beyond whatever it was. Jesus does not explain how that works, or give any kind of supporting argument. He essentially says, "Have faith."

That's the gospel Paul proclaimed in a nutshell. All have fallen short, God's grace saves, and have faith.

I'm familiar with attempts to find different gospels in the scriptures, but I find continuity and depth, instead.

Do you perceive any differences between the baptism of John and that of Jesus or, for that matter, the various mikvehs practiced by devout Jews?

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Do you think the gospel of God's kingdom, the gospel of grace, and the gospel of baptism for repentance for the remission of sins are all the same gospel? Or, are they totally different from one another?

Matthew 4:12-17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, "Repent: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

1 Peter 1:23-25 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh [is] as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away, but the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by this Gospel is preached unto you. (Isaiah 40:3-8, John 1:23)
This Gospel = the Kingdom of God on Earth: Psalms 145:13, 2 Samuel 7:12, 1 Chronicles 22:10, Psalms 45:6-8, Isaiah 9:6-7, Daniel 2:44, etc.

Gal 1:6-9 says there is only ONE Gospel - and Gal 3:8 says that same one-and-only Gospel "was preached to Abraham"

Matt 24 says "THIS Gospel of the kindgom will be preached in all the world and then will the end come".

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Revelation 14:6-7 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the Everlasting Gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Galatians 3:3-5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

John 14:15-17 If ye love Me, keep My Commandments and I will pray the Father and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever: the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Genesis 22:16-18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because thou hast hearkened to My voice.

John 8:39-40 Jesus saith unto them, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill Me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham."

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you perceive any differences between the baptism of John and that of Jesus or, for that matter, the various mikvehs practiced by devout Jews?

I'm not sure where you're going with those questions. Can you say more?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟946,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thus, if one was baptized by John the Baptist for the repentance of his sins, that baptism was the same as Christian baptism.

If so, why did Paul rebaptize the twelve disciples of John the Baptist?

Acts 19:1 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 2 He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 There were in all about twelve men.
John baptized with water Jesus Christ of Nazareth baptizes with the Holy Spirit.
One has power one has no power.
"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟377,582.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm not sure where you're going with those questions. Can you say more?

I am not driving at any particular point other than to find out what others think about these baptisms. If they are all one and the same, there are some serious implications as there are also with the idea that they represent different soteriologies.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟377,582.00
Faith
Non-Denom
John baptized with water Jesus Christ of Nazareth baptizes with the Holy Spirit.
One has power one has no power.
"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

Thank you. I take it that you would say that the gospel of John the Baptist was secondary to the gospel of Jesus Christ. That makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟497,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

There is only one Gospel, which is primarily found in the four canonical Gospels, with the Old Testament, including the very important deuterocanonical books, providing a prophecy of it, and the other 23 books of the canonical New Testament providing an exegesis of the Gospel narrative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

There is only one gospel and that is all the Word of God. The Gospel simply means good news. All the Word of God is good news of God's plan of salvation for all mankind. (scripture support here for anyone interested.)

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟377,582.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟946,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I take it that you would say that the gospel of John the Baptist was secondary to the gospel of Jesus Christ. That makes sense to me.
Well not quite. John did not preach another Gospel . His specific purpose was to usher in the Messiah, Jesus Christ of Nazareth and the Gospel, the Good News, that He brought to the world. Basically the fulfillment of all OT prophesies. Water baptism was a type/shadow of what was to come. Full immersion with His Spirit.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟377,582.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well not quite. John did not preach another Gospel . His specific purpose was to usher in the Messiah, Jesus Christ of Nazareth and the Gospel, the Good News, that He brought to the world. Basically the fulfillment of all OT prophesies. Water baptism was a type/shadow of what was to come. Full immersion with His Spirit.

Do you believe that water baptism is part and parcel of the Christian gospel?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟946,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that water baptism is part and parcel of the Christian gospel?
Sure, however it has no power. Many get immersed in water but few are immersed in His Holy Spirit which is the Born Again conversion.

Upvote 0