Does God command rape victims to be purchased by their rapists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure. I'm not particularly interested in this debate since it does require me to discuss one of the worst commandments in any of the major religions. That said, Jeremy requested a formal debate on the issue. I only request the word limit be kept small (500 words or such) and the rounds limited to about 5. It isn't a difficult debate, and it isn't pleasant.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
By the way, I won't be debating that "God" commands this. I will be debating the idea that Yahweh of the bible commands this. It's explicitly there, so I really don't know how Jeremy's going to deny it... but we'll let it play out in the official thing.

Upvote 0

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
By the way, I won't be debating that "God" commands this. I will be debating the idea that Yahweh of the bible commands this. It's explicitly there, so I really don't know how Jeremy's going to deny it... but we'll let it play out in the official thing.

You will have the burden of demonstrating that the scripture in question is a law which commands rape victims to be purchased by their rapists and that this law is evil.

Ready?

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
I will take the position that Yahweh commands in the bible that rapists must purchase their rape victims unless their father will only take compensation for his damaged property. It's clearly there, it's been my position, and if that's what you want to debate have at it. I'm not super interested in this debate as I find the commandment horrendous.

Before we begin you'll need to tell me what your position will be.

Five rounds for each poster, 500 word limit per post. I"ll let you go first.

Upvote 0

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I will take the position that Yahweh commands in the bible that rapists must purchase their rape victims unless their father will only take compensation for his damaged property. It's clearly there, it's been my position, and if that's what you want to debate have at it. I'm not super interested in this debate as I find the commandment horrendous.

Before we begin you'll need to tell me what your position will be.

Five rounds for each poster, 500 word limit per post. I"ll let you go first.

Well now not only have you amended your original position, but you have asked that I go first.

Why would I go first if YOU are the one who is arguing that Yahweh commands that rapists must purchase their rape victims unless their father will only take compensation for his damaged property?

You have even stated that this is YOUR position.

So it seems to me you need to present your argument and support it.

Since I have not seen your argument, I will not be attacking any strawmen but will wait for you to do your thing and then respond.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
  1. There will be five alternating rounds with BlueLightningTN beginning.
  2. BlueLightningTN will be taking the affirmative position and Jeremy E Walker will be opposing.
  3. The time limit between posts will be one week from the time that they are approved and become visible. The post can be made earlier, of course.
  4. The maximum length for each post. You can set a limit of say 500 words for each post in a round.
  5. Quotes and outside references are allowed. Please note that all quotes will fall under the 20% copyright rule.
  6. Start date will be __________________.
  7. A peanut Gallery will be created in GT for non participants to discuss this debate.
Please review these stipulations, make any changes of suggestions and when both agree, I will set this up.

Mark

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jeremy said:
Well now not only have you amended your original position, but you have asked that I go first.

You asked for the debate, you set out what my position would be, and now I'm making sure my position is crystal clear before we begin. The woman has not choice in the matter, and she is required to marry her rapist, but a caveat exists outside of her control.

Why would I go first if YOU are the one who is arguing that Yahweh commands that rapists must purchase their rape victims unless their father will only take compensation for his damaged property?

Well, first you're going to need some manners if we're going to do a debate. All-capping, "you" isn't the way we're going to dialogue. I'd rather you go first since I have so little interest in this debate, but if you want me to go first I can.

You have even stated that this is YOUR position.

Again, knock off the all-caps. You demonstrate that you can't behave outside a formal debate and you can be sure we won't proceed. You have requested this formal debate, not me.

So it seems to me you need to present your argument and support it.

Since I have not seen your argument, I will not be attacking any strawmen but will wait for you to do your thing and then respond.

Again, what is your position that you will be taking?

Upvote 0

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
  2. BlueLightningTN will be taking the affirmative position and Jeremy E Walker will be opposing.
  3. The time limit between posts will be one week from the time that they are approved and become visible. The post can be made earlier, of course.
  4. The maximum length for each post. You can set a limit of say 500 words for each post in a round.
  5. Quotes and outside references are allowed. Please note that all quotes will fall under the 20% copyright rule.
  6. Start date will be __________________.
  7. A peanut Gallery will be created in GT for non participants to discuss this debate.
Please review these stipulations, make any changes of suggestions and when both agree, I will set this up.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I agree with all of them. 500 word maximum as Blue requested.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mark, here are the changes:

Title: "Does Yahweh Command Male Rapists to Purchase Their Voiceless, Female Victims?"
Reason: I refuse to debate this with the term "God" applied. Also, I want the title to be very specific so there is no wiggle room on what this is about.

Response Time Limit: 3 Days
Reason: I don't like this debate, I'm not keen on doing it, and I don't want to drag it out.

Start Date will be whenever I post... likely in the next two days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Draft Stipulations: Does Yahweh Command Male Rapists to Purchase Their Voiceless, Female Victims?
  3. The time limit between posts will be one three days the time that they are approved and become visible. The post can be made earlier, of course.
  6. Start date will be any time.
Is everyone OK with this?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT

This is a proposal, not a debate thread. At this point, unless you are one of the opponents or the moderator (me) please refrain from posting. If you do post off topic, your post will be deleted. If your post is missing, it already has been.

Mark
Staff Supervisor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Draft Stipulations: Does Yahweh Command Male Rapists to Purchase Their Voiceless, Female Victims?
  3. The time limit between posts will be one three days the time that they are approved and become visible. The post can be made earlier, of course.
  6. Start date will be any time.
Is everyone OK with this?

I am ready.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.