United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Daydreaming at work...(Bad!)

I know a lot of you guys & gals dream of a partner & marriage, but do y'all want kids too? I used to not, I guess I just couldn't picture myself w/ them, but as I get older, and more mature I suppose, I get more open to it. Not sure about babies & young kids, but older, like elementary & up, I think about. I'm told babies & young kids are easier & I got it backwards, but that's not always the case. Some kids are easier then others. A lot is influenced by the parenting too, how they raise the child, & the parents' attitude. If I'm to have a woman, & she'd like children too, I'd like to adopt at least one of our kids. I think about that too. Adoption is on my heart.

So what do you think? I figured since there's so many threads on dating & marriage and what not in this Singles section, a thread on children is a must.

Last edited:

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟291,443.00
Faith
Christian
Inheriting step-children, going down the adoption route or having my own - it's all the same to me. The chance to empower the next generation and be remembered for decades after I've gone.

It can happen at anytime too, so I've been slowly getting prepared for a few years now. Emotional maturity, wisdom and inner strength are all areas that I tighten up constantly.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟126,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Daydreaming at work...(Bad!)

I know a lot of you guys & gals dream of a partner & marriage, but do y'all want kids too? I used to not, I guess I just couldn't picture myself w/ them, but as I get older, and more mature I suppose, I get more open to it. Not sure about babies & young kids, but older, like elementary & up, I think about. I'm told babies & young kids are easier & I got it backwards, but that's not always the case. Some kids are easier then others. A lot is influenced by the parenting too, how they raise the child, & the parents' attitude. If I'm to have a woman, & she'd like children too, I'd like to adopt at least one of our kids. I think about that too. Adoption is on my heart sometimes.

So what do you think? I figured since there's so many threads on dating & marriage and what not in this Singles section, a thread on children is a must.

I've always been good with older kids and teenagers. After teaching in Japan I found that the elementary school visits drained me that I just stared at walls after. I've never had the baby fever and when my nephew was born 3 years ago I didn't feel this rush or need to visit two states away to see him like everyone else. I'm more interested in the stages when they can hold a conversation. I've never changed a diaper in my life. The closest I've come to that motherly feeling was when I was a teacher in Japan and a little girl grabbed my hand and held it. It was this mushy feeling inside.

I'd also like to add that kids screaming when I would be in a grocery store or somewhere else would annoy me so bad. I think over time the Lord has worked on that, I have a peace. A couple years ago I was walking with a friend ,who is married, and I noticed her tense up and she couldn't seem to hold a conversation when there was a baby that was crying behind us in the distance. I think I've noticed with myself and some of the friends that I have, married and not married, that the desire just never was there.

When I started the online dating thing a year ago, I was considering inheriting children but this past year I have discovered I think I'm a better match for someone who has never married or has married but has no kids. That's just something I've been coming to the realization of. Good topic!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟381,819.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have hangups about having kids that I wish I didn't have. If not for them, I could clearly say that I want to have kids, and I could say that I eventually want kids, and I think that would make dating a little easier because I would be concrete about that important matter. As it is, I don't want to permanently close the door on that, but the concept still terrifies me. That's probably not attractive in a man my age. And outside of that, it still bothers me.

Upvote 0

Isaiah 2:22

Jun 4, 2016
Canada
✟17,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm nearly 30 and still don't know if I want kids or not. Probably not if I hit 35 and haven't married. Though maybe adoption of a slightly older child would be more feasible at that point. The thought of dealing with a teenager when I hit 50 is a bit terrifying, otherwise it wouldn't matter if it took longer (apart from the obvious problem of biology, of course). I do love kids, but it's always nice to be able to give them back after you've spent some time with them. :p

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I do most likely want kids eventually, but like Sketch, there are fears concerning the safety of the child in my hands. I rarely hold infants or small children, unless they are forced upon me, in which case I am a very awkward person when it comes to babies, and they get upset. I do not speak baby.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟381,819.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm nearly 30 and still don't know if I want kids or not. Probably not if I hit 35 and haven't married. Though maybe adoption of a slightly older child would be more feasible at that point. The thought of dealing with a teenager when I hit 50 is a bit terrifying, otherwise it wouldn't matter if it took longer (apart from the obvious problem of biology, of course). I do love kids, but it's always nice to be able to give them back after you've spent some time with them. :p
That's a nice feature of nieces and nephews. The parents have to do the hard work.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do most likely want kids eventually, but like Sketch, there are fears concerning the safety of the child in my hands. I rarely hold infants or small children, unless they are forced upon me, in which case I am a very awkward person when it comes to babies, and they get upset. I do not speak baby.
Yep, that's why I'm more interested in the idea of elementary & up.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟291,443.00
Faith
Christian
Babies are straight forward enough. I stayed in Amsterdam for a bit just after my niece was born (sister is in NL). It's all common sense based, processes of elimination really.

Just don't dither about if the child has a raging fever, and always read the labels on medicines twice.

Now that she's a toddler I wouldn't know where to start. She's already outfoxing her mother, she's inherited her uncle's craftiness I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I didn't want to have kids when I was younger. I had a really bad childhood and didn't want to risk perpetuating what I went through. That's a major reason I never put any effort into relationships; why I am terribly naive and inexperienced; why I've been alone most of my life.

Kids make me really uncomfortable. Babies even more so. Just being around them feels 'wrong' to me. I'm not the guy to shove a baby in his arms and see if he melts and makes goo-goo at the baby. I go catatonic and look like I'm holding a nuclear warhead in my hands. Panic. It's pathetic. Enough so that even I have to laugh at it.

Upvote 0

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Do Y'all Want Kids Too?

Overpopulation and procreation in the hands of incompetent couples have done so much damage to this world. Children-making is serious business; a life-long commitment to provide, guide and protect another being; not some props to "complete" or "save" marriages like many often mistaken. You don't make kids for your amusement, it's a huge responsibility.

Ever heard of anti-natalism? My views may not be that extreme but I grew up in an abusive household I don't remember consenting to. And there are others who have it worse with birth defects on top of complete abandonment and such. I don't know how long I'll be around, or if I'm ready for the task. Generally speaking, "life" itself Is a horrible thing to give to the person you love. I cannot guarantee their happiness and I don't want them to suffer. Being awfully aware of the negative prospects, I'd really hate to do that to another person.

We have no shortage of humans at the moment. I might adopt or reconsider if I find the right partner someday, but for now I'm good with dogs.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟110,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm still neutral about the the idea of having children and being a mother. I believe I could be happy either way, to be honest. In the very least, I know that for certain I don't desire to have children at this point in time, and I'm quite content to envision myself childless even within the next 5 years. I'm much more keen on the idea of marriage and having a partner at this point in my life and for the foreseeable future.

Unlike most women I grew up around within the Baptist denomination, I don't possess a strong, maternal desire to be a mother. I don't feel those natural yearnings to have a child like many women do. This doesn't frighten me, nor is it discouraging...because most of my life I've been a late bloomer in all areas and milestones, so perhaps motherhood is just one more thing I'll achieve late in life. And I'm perfectly okay with this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm still neutral about the the idea of having children and being a mother. I believe I could be happy either way, to be honest. In the very least, I know that for certain I don't desire to have children at this point in time, and I'm quite content to envision myself childless even within the next 5 years. I'm much more keen on the idea of marriage and having a partner at this point in my life and for the foreseeable future.

Unlike most women I grew up around within the Baptist denomination, I don't possess a strong, maternal desire to be a mother. I don't feel those natural yearnings to have a child like many women do. This doesn't frighten me, nor is it discouraging...because most of my life I've been a late bloomer in all areas and milestones, so perhaps motherhood is just one more thing I'll achieve late in life. And I'm perfectly okay with this.
Family is very important to me. There's a bunch of reasons I drifted to the Baptist denomination, & I'm sure that's one of them.

Upvote 0